talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Exclamation Mirka Sandpaper

I was wondering if you guys can give me any feedback on the Mirka/abranet brand sandpaper? I'm quite happy with the performance of the festool paper but back in Germany, my dad is a Mirka dealer and is constantly telling me how great his paper is... Stupid me, I'm living in Canada and can't get my hands on "free" samples
So, who is useing it with a festool sander and can tell me if it is really worth it to spend more cash on mirka vs. festool ?

Thanks!

Andreas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Mirka Sandpaper

Your dad won't even send you free samples? That is cruel. I say that is a prime example of child abuse.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM

that's a good one!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

From what I hear Mirka is as good as it gets.
I use it on my Bosch sanders with no complaint.

Is it available in Festool pattern?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 AM

I've used a little Mirka and no complaints. I haven't seen any with the 9 hole pattern but the abranet would make that moot, since its literally a net or meshy material.
I'm surprised though that it's more than Festool . . . here its considerably less.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 AM

Mirka is good paper I'm not sure they make the 9 hole though

If You want an alternative 9 hole paper, try Klingspor. They make a whole range of different papers.
I'm using their sterarate discs (made in Germany) it's good paper. The low grits ( #100, #150 ) make Rubin seem weak.
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the replies so far!
I was thinking of the "mesh" pads from mirka, called the abranet. No need for 9 wholes anymore as the dust will be extracted through the whole surface.
As for the klingspore: I use them on my dewalt sander and are quite happy with them as far as "normal" orbital sanding goes. They stand up quite well, but leave swirl marks and the dust built up is way worse than on the festool papers.
As mentioned before, I'm happy with the festool brand paper, but would like to give mirka a try
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 AM
Founding Member

I have 6" Abranet in a variety of grits. I haven't used it much with my RO150, but I was happy with the results. However, I can't say that it's any better than Festool sandpaper because I don't have enough experience with it. Make sure that you get the correct adapter however: Buy Backing Pad, 6", Festool, Abranet Sanding Discs And Pads, Sandpaper,. Don't use the sandpaper directly attached to a Festool backing pad.

Also, I bought a little Abranet hand sanding block with a dust collection hose. Here's a brochure showing all three of their sanders: http://www.mirka-usa.com/downloads/p..._shopflier.pdf. I have the little one and the hose. It works great besides excellent dust collection, the hose is small and light so it doesn't take any effort to use it. The hose connects to the CT22 inlet port.

Dan.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
I have 6" Abranet in a variety of grits. I haven't used it much with my RO150, but I was happy with the results. However, I can't say that it's any better than Festool sandpaper because I don't have enough experience with it. Make sure that you get the correct adapter however: Buy Backing Pad, 6", Festool, Abranet Sanding Discs And Pads, Sandpaper,. Don't use the sandpaper directly attached to a Festool backing pad.

Also, I bought a little Abranet hand sanding block with a dust collection hose. Here's a brochure showing all three of their sanders: http://www.mirka-usa.com/downloads/p..._shopflier.pdf. I have the little one and the hose. It works great besides excellent dust collection, the hose is small and light so it doesn't take any effort to use it. The hose connects to the CT22 inlet port.

Dan.
I have a friend that was telling me how great the Abranet paper was. He said that the only thing he did not like about it was that it was hard on the pads. He ruined 3 pads before he discovered that he needed an adapter.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 PM

Well, it looks like my dad was reading my posts

Today, I received a package stuffed with 10 boxes of Mirka Abranet! some discs for my festool sander and sheets for the included sanding blocks (with a build in dust collection hookup!)
Can't wait to start using them tomorrow!