talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Mirka Sandpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Ron's too nice to point out that I actually promised to write up a review. It's true... I am a very negligent reviewer (sorry, Ron ). Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I purchased the "Abranet Sheet Sanding System" on eBay. I got lucky - not only is the item VERY hard to find in the US, it was also a terrific deal. MSRP is $149, but the couple of places I've seen it listed were selling it for up to $20 more than that -- I got mine for $99 (the eBay seller's "Buy It Now" price).

Box:

Inside the box (coffee and jelly bellies not included):

Contents:

1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 3/4" hose
30 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 7/1'2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)

Small Issue, Quickly Resolved:

The seller had described the item as brand new. Given the price, I was prepared for some discrepancy between the description and the reality. As it happened, 10 of the 16.5" abrasive sheets, and 9 of the 7.5" abrasive sheets were missing. Everything else was perfect, and did not appear to have been used. I emailed a polite inquiry to the Seller (with a detailed list of the missing abrasives), expecting that I'd probably not get any response from them at all.

They REALLY surprised me. First they apologized for the error, and then they FedEx'd me (A) a new unopened box of 16.5" abrasive sheets (same variety of grits listed above), and (B) a 10 yard roll of P120 in lieu of a new box of 7.5" sheets (which they no longer had). I think the roll alone retails for about $75. So all in all, I'd say things worked out pretty well for the old Admiral.

Product Review:

It's just awesome. The hose fits perfectly in the hose port on the CT. It's also extremely flexible, soft and light weight - I had no issues with it getting in the way, nor was it a problem keeping the block flat with the hose attached to the port at the back. There is virtually no dust. The mesh abrasives don't clog, and they seem to last a very long time. I wish I had more than two hands so I could give it more than two thumbs up. It's about the best $99 I ever spent. I love it. And so on....

If anybody wants more detailed pics, I'll be happy to take some and post them.
Laurie,

Very good review. That price you got is excellent! I have the smaller sander and some sheets. But for that price, I think it would be worth it to buy the kit.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Thanks, Dan. I should add that the seller is not a Mirka dealer - they sell garage flooring and auto detailing products. Since they treated me so fairly, I don't mind sharing the links to their eBay store and website in case you or the other auto enthusiasts here would like to check them out:

eBay store: hotgarageflooring
web site: pacificprodux

Back to the Mirka topic:
For what it's worth, when I bought my Abranet sanding system, the seller also had this "Mirka Abranet Jet-Vac Sanding System" for sale in the eBay store (Buy It Now price: $219). It's still there, with no bids, if anyone is interested. Here's the product description:

Quote:
Mirka’s exclusive Abranet Jet-Vac sanding system is dust-free and effective – at the same time. This dust-free sanding solution delivers superior operator comfort and versatility with the most powerful and effective self-generated vacuum system available. It converts a Bulldog sander to vacuum-ready with an easy-to-use conversion kit, producing a high velocity “vac” of tool exhaust air that removes dust from the work area. The diffuser then channels both air and dust into the disposable collection bag. It uses Abranet discs, made with thousands of small holes that collect dust in half-millimeter increments. This provides efficient dust extraction from the entire surface of the disk, and offers even grain distribution for a more consistent finish and improved surface appearance. For the 6” Bulldog model. Note: Backing plate not included.

The MJVS6 Kit Contains:
Mirka bulldog sander
Vacuum conversion kit
Dust collector bags

Suggested Retail Price: $275.95
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Ron's too nice to point out that I actually promised to write up a review. It's true... I am a very negligent reviewer (sorry, Ron ). Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I purchased the "Abranet Sheet Sanding System" on eBay. I got lucky - not only is the item VERY hard to find in the US, it was also a terrific deal. MSRP is $149, but the couple of places I've seen it listed were selling it for up to $20 more than that -- I got mine for $99 (the eBay seller's "Buy It Now" price).

Box:

Inside the box (coffee and jelly bellies not included):

Contents:

1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 3/4" hose
30 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 7/1'2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)

Small Issue, Quickly Resolved:

The seller had described the item as brand new. Given the price, I was prepared for some discrepancy between the description and the reality. As it happened, 10 of the 16.5" abrasive sheets, and 9 of the 7.5" abrasive sheets were missing. Everything else was perfect, and did not appear to have been used. I emailed a polite inquiry to the Seller (with a detailed list of the missing abrasives), expecting that I'd probably not get any response from them at all.

They REALLY surprised me. First they apologized for the error, and then they FedEx'd me (A) a new unopened box of 16.5" abrasive sheets (same variety of grits listed above), and (B) a 10 yard roll of P120 in lieu of a new box of 7.5" sheets (which they no longer had). I think the roll alone retails for about $75. So all in all, I'd say things worked out pretty well for the old Admiral.

Product Review:

It's just awesome. The hose fits perfectly in the hose port on the CT. It's also extremely flexible, soft and light weight - I had no issues with it getting in the way, nor was it a problem keeping the block flat with the hose attached to the port at the back. There is virtually no dust. The mesh abrasives don't clog, and they seem to last a very long time. I wish I had more than two hands so I could give it more than two thumbs up. It's about the best $99 I ever spent. I love it. And so on....

If anybody wants more detailed pics, I'll be happy to take some and post them.
Nice review Laurie! You got a real deal on a great set of sanding blocks.
I notice that there is only one black jelly bean in that dish of ~17 beans. Statistically, there should be 3 or 4 unless someone is picking their favorite (black) color out...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Nice review Laurie! You got a real deal on a great set of sanding blocks.
I notice that there is only one black jelly bean in that dish of ~17 beans. Statistically, there should be 3 or 4 unless someone is picking their favorite (black) color out...
Or gaming the system by selecting their own mix at the candy store....
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 AM

A quick demonstration how effective the Mirka sanding blocks are. It may doesn't look like a lot, but at the end of the day you will clearly notice much cleaner air in your workspace.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, Andreas.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks for sharing, Andreas!
I agree, the Mirka sanding blocks are GREAT!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Great news!
I found a rep for western Canada! TheRepsGroupofCompanies: Products
Contact Dan if you need something and he will hook you up with the product. He is located in Vancouver.

Cheers,
Andreas
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Great news!
I found a rep for western Canada! TheRepsGroupofCompanies: Products
Contact Dan if you need something and he will hook you up with the product. He is located in Vancouver.

Cheers,
Andreas
Mohawk carries it as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 AM

I use Abranet discs exclusively now. Once You start, You'll never go back to Your old discs...Abranet is just sooooo much better!
The only problem with Abranet is, if You catch it on a sharp edge (mortice, domino or rebate groove, for example ) it tears along the mesh lines easily. I've had a few discs tear way before the disc has worn. I have to be careful
I also use their Abralon discs, great stuff
Okami