talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Mirka Sandpaper

As I recall Laurie bought a "starter" set of the Abranet blocks/hoses. Are there any recommendations on which blocks/hoses you prefer (no doubt depends a great deal on the project) or ones you wouldn't buy?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 AM

When I was at the AFWS in Vegas, I went looking for sandpaper. I came across dozens of sellers that were there. I took every samply I could get and used them all. I already knew that Mirka was good and have some. Festool paper is crap so didn't bother with theirs. I got some samples of "Sunmight" without holes. I have a template for redrilling or just drilling my own and tried the Sunmight. I sure do like it the best and it lasts and lasts. No circles or bare spots. I haven't checked into buying other than looking online a little. Just about the time I was running out they sent another package of samples. I threw away the mailing label before I got around to using it so don't know who I got it from. I think it's sold more in auto stores so I'm going to start checking local first. It's a film coating so all the abrasive is uniform in height. I remember the salesman giving me all the info and I'm thinking after talking with so many people, "yada, yada, yada, but he was right as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident98 View Post
When I was at the AFWS in Vegas, I went looking for sandpaper. I came across dozens of sellers that were there. I took every samply I could get and used them all. I already knew that Mirka was good and have some. Festool paper is crap so didn't bother with theirs. I got some samples of "Sunmight" without holes. I have a template for redrilling or just drilling my own and tried the Sunmight. I sure do like it the best and it lasts and lasts. No circles or bare spots. I haven't checked into buying other than looking online a little. Just about the time I was running out they sent another package of samples. I threw away the mailing label before I got around to using it so don't know who I got it from. I think it's sold more in auto stores so I'm going to start checking local first. It's a film coating so all the abrasive is uniform in height. I remember the salesman giving me all the info and I'm thinking after talking with so many people, "yada, yada, yada, but he was right as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff.
Can you explain this jig in more detail.

Mirko
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
But still, there is nobody in Canada selling them... Why is it sooo difficult to convince retailers to carry quality products?
Cause you have no people. When the whole country has less people than the state of California, the market for such products won't be huge. Of course in Los Angeles you can have a store that just sells Toasters or Spatula's and make a good living. I kinda like the ring of "Spatula City" myself.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch. So what you're saying is it's not that there's nobody in Canada selling them, it's that there's nobody in Canada?

They all moved down here and took jobs away from Americans.

Notice that Andreas isn't even a native Canadian. We have to import people into Canada to replace the ones we lose to the US...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Perfect Little Angel

I didn't put as much thought into it as you Peter... He seemed distraught, and I thought I'd answer with what I believe to be the reason. Big ass place, with not that many people. In order for a business to thrive selling what he wants they'd have to have a marketplace for it (Consumers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Ouch. So what you're saying is it's not that there's nobody in Canada selling them, it's that there's nobody in Canada?

Notice that Andreas isn't even a native Canadian. We have to import people into Canada to replace the ones we lose to the US...
Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 AM

I just had RJ Stroman of 2sand.com sent my some samples of Indasa Rhynogrip discs. I've never heard of them before and I haven't tried them out yet. The make hole patterns to fit 5" and 6" Festool sanders, seems pretty inexpensive. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Indasa Rhynogrip 6 inch Festool 9 Hole Velcro Sanding Discs 50/box / Sanding Discs, Sanding Belts, Sandpaper (2Sand.com)
Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:

Who wants to move to the states? I will stay here were I can get at least some german woodworkers on work permits for my company! Had another one coming in today to apply for a job. Just imagine hiring someone who knows about Festool
Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
As I recall Laurie bought a "starter" set of the Abranet blocks/hoses. Are there any recommendations on which blocks/hoses you prefer (no doubt depends a great deal on the project) or ones you wouldn't buy?
Ron's too nice to point out that I actually promised to write up a review. It's true... I am a very negligent reviewer (sorry, Ron ). Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I purchased the "Abranet Sheet Sanding System" on eBay. I got lucky - not only is the item VERY hard to find in the US, it was also a terrific deal. MSRP is $149, but the couple of places I've seen it listed were selling it for up to $20 more than that -- I got mine for $99 (the eBay seller's "Buy It Now" price).

Box:

Inside the box (coffee and jelly bellies not included):

Contents:

1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 2 3/4" x 7 1/2" Interface pad
1 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Vacuum block
1 -- 3/4" hose
30 -- 2 3/4" x 5" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 7/1'2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)
30 -- 2 3/4" x 16 1/2" Abranet Mesh Strips (5 ea. P80, P120, P180, P240, P320, P400)

Small Issue, Quickly Resolved:

The seller had described the item as brand new. Given the price, I was prepared for some discrepancy between the description and the reality. As it happened, 10 of the 16.5" abrasive sheets, and 9 of the 7.5" abrasive sheets were missing. Everything else was perfect, and did not appear to have been used. I emailed a polite inquiry to the Seller (with a detailed list of the missing abrasives), expecting that I'd probably not get any response from them at all.

They REALLY surprised me. First they apologized for the error, and then they FedEx'd me (A) a new unopened box of 16.5" abrasive sheets (same variety of grits listed above), and (B) a 10 yard roll of P120 in lieu of a new box of 7.5" sheets (which they no longer had). I think the roll alone retails for about $75. So all in all, I'd say things worked out pretty well for the old Admiral.

Product Review:

It's just awesome. The hose fits perfectly in the hose port on the CT. It's also extremely flexible, soft and light weight - I had no issues with it getting in the way, nor was it a problem keeping the block flat with the hose attached to the port at the back. There is virtually no dust. The mesh abrasives don't clog, and they seem to last a very long time. I wish I had more than two hands so I could give it more than two thumbs up. It's about the best $99 I ever spent. I love it. And so on....

If anybody wants more detailed pics, I'll be happy to take some and post them.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:

Just another example, we've just GOT to secure that northern border although I guess it's too late in Poto's case. (perhaps a green card check?)