talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Mirka Sandpaper

Can I get Mirka for the RS400 and RS2 sanders? I can get the discs for the 150 and 125 sanders and the sanding blocks locally but was waiting for my festool paper supply to dwindle.

Its dwindling pretty fast especially since it seems like the sandpaper is only effective for about the first five minutes of sanding then stops cutting. I am very dissapointed in the durability of the festool papers and also dissappointed in the person that recommended them so highly.This person has written alot of great tutorials but has never once said anything negative about festool.(Not Rick C. or Brice) I take everything I read now with a grain of salt. As I cannot trust the intentions of the writer. I must have spent over 300.00 in sandpaper for 3min discs. I think it works out to be about .30-.50 per disc. It makes me mad
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Eiji, I've noticed the same thing. However, I think it might have been Brice who pointed out that after the first 3 minutes, you can use the sandpaper as effectively the next higher grit. So you get 3 minutes of 80, and then several hours of 100 out of a piece of 80. You've got to admit that the paper doesn't clog much, and it retains some abrasive ability - it's just not nearly as aggressive as the first few minutes.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM

I noticed that too, especially with the 80 grid.... The Mirka is holding up way better!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

That's the one! I just love it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Andreas, what does your father say about this,

"Joest Superpad P is a unique abrasive pad designed by the inventor of Abranet. Think of the Superpad as a kind of superhero sanding pad, able to solve those pesky problems of clogging and suboptimal performance. Unlike ordinary sanding pads, the Superpad has perforations all over its surface, not just a few big holes punched in the paper."

I saw the Joest stuff at Tools For Working Wood but didn't have time to check it out. They also carry Festool so they should be able to comment on compatibility.

"Superpad has a sanding capacity of around four times that of ordinary sanding pads! A couple of other great features: because it has perforations all over, the Superpad fits on all hook-and-loop manual sanders regardless of the configuration of their holes. (The Superpad can be used directly with Festool sanders without any special mounting pad.) Because the Superpad is itself padded, your work piece will be treated tenderly and you won't get the scratches that you might from typical sandpaper or Abranet."

That is a Bosch sander in the illustration.

The thing I'm leery about is the softness of the mount. I don't like that at all when it comes to coarse or even medium grit abrasives, unless the object has sculpted contours.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Eiji, I've noticed the same thing. However, I think it might have been Brice who pointed out that after the first 3 minutes, you can use the sandpaper as effectively the next higher grit. So you get 3 minutes of 80, and then several hours of 100 out of a piece of 80. You've got to admit that the paper doesn't clog much, and it retains some abrasive ability - it's just not nearly as aggressive as the first few minutes.
This is especially describes the original Brilliant abrasives for the LS 130. My stock is really loaded with the stearate stuff (or whatever it is). I sometimes wonder if the coating gets displaced from the peaks and jambed in between the grits so that the abrasive is clogged by the anti-clog stuff.

With that abrasive the sander sure doesn't work "3X faster than hand sanding". I want that Abranet dustless sanding block!!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 AM

Although I no longer have any Festool sanders, while I did, I too was pretty disappointed in the paper (especially Rubin). I've mentioned this a few times over the last couple of years
Festool paper holds up well aesthetically, but quickly lacks in performance (based on my experience).
Now, I haven't used Crystal, which I hear hold up much better.
Cheers!
Okami.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Andreas, what does your father say about this,

"Joest Superpad P is a unique abrasive pad designed by the inventor of Abranet. Think of the Superpad as a kind of superhero sanding pad, able to solve those pesky problems of clogging and suboptimal performance. Unlike ordinary sanding pads, the Superpad has perforations all over its surface, not just a few big holes punched in the paper."

I saw the Joest stuff at Tools For Working Wood but didn't have time to check it out. They also carry Festool so they should be able to comment on compatibility.

"Superpad has a sanding capacity of around four times that of ordinary sanding pads! A couple of other great features: because it has perforations all over, the Superpad fits on all hook-and-loop manual sanders regardless of the configuration of their holes. (The Superpad can be used directly with Festool sanders without any special mounting pad.) Because the Superpad is itself padded, your work piece will be treated tenderly and you won't get the scratches that you might from typical sandpaper or Abranet."

That is a Bosch sander in the illustration.

The thing I'm leery about is the softness of the mount. I don't like that at all when it comes to coarse or even medium grit abrasives, unless the object has sculpted contours.

I will ask him next time I talk to him... (in about two weeks)
Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 PM

I was talking to my dad in Germany today about regular shipments of Mirka products to Canada. No problem at all!
I will soon place my order and if anyone in Canada is interested in getting Mirka products, please let me know and we will throw it in.
I will be ordering a whole bunch of abranet and a couple of the sanding blocks with dust collection. Those blocks will go for around $40/piece. The vacuum hose for about $20/piece.

Anyhow, have a look at the official website:
(although it's all in German, you can still down load the price list in pdf form to see all the items )
Mirka - Schleifmittel und Zubehör

Mirka - Schleifmittel und Zubehör
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 AM

Here is a pic of the sanding block
Attached Thumbnails
mirka-sandpaper-pb160012.jpg   mirka-sandpaper-pb160011.jpg   mirka-sandpaper-pb160010.jpg