talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Stickley

One of the conversations around the coffee machine last week dealt with how to make things look "Stickley" when doing an A&C piece.
I know there's fuming, which deters most people. But they had a number of different colors they used, and fuming wasn't all they did.
It doesn't matter to me if it looks "Stickley" - its a name. There's a look they achieved though that was popular and I like very well.
I've come up with my own way of getting there, regardless of whether or not its what someone else did / does.
Sanding on Quartered White Oak is very important. It is dense and shows scratch patterns readily. I sand to 220 as a minimum, more often 320, and do final passes by hand with the grain. Then vac the piece good. You actually want the pores as open as you can get.
Dyes establish the primary color. Think starting point. Let dry
I seal it with a light wash of shellac. Verstaility step #1 is there. You can do blonde, orange, garnet . . . tweak the color however you like.
Thinner is better. You still want the pores fairly exposed.
I glaze over it with Gilsonite. Sometimes called asphaltum. Cut with enough mineral spirits to brush. Let it start to tack, then burnish with a cotton rag across the grain. This fills the pores and tones the color.
Let dry.
Shellac again, and the ability to tweak the color again.
From there, depending on usage, you can add another coat of shellac or varnish.
When its cured, I use 0000 wool and wool lube to rub it down a little, and paste wax and buff.
Try it out sometime. Its a heck of a nice look.

Last edited by RWeber; 11-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Stickley

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any pics??
Or are you just making all this up
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 AM

Tom, I have pics.
And a story to boot.
I seem to have found the last case of gilsonite in the country. I don't know why, but apparently I'm the last guy to use it. I love the stuff. Its coming from a distribution center in NY (you want what?!?!) and I have to take the whole case. So I'm going to have 4 gallons of concentrate and divvy it up into quarts and sell them to accolades who think they want some.
Or keep it all. Don't matter. 4 gallons would easily last me the rest of my natural life. Kind of like having 4 gallons of one color of Transtint. I mean, you only use so much at a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
stickley-shop-005.jpg   stickley-shop-006.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Very nice work and a yummy finish!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Here is more about Gilsonite than you ever want to know
AmericanGilsonite.com - Producers of Gilsonite and Gilsonite Products
Bob
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 AM

RW,

I'll take a quart. I have a coffe table I need to refinish that my better half uses do do her nails on. She is not well schooled on the effects of acetone on a finish.

DW