talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 AM

Default Milk Paint

Currently occupying my mind
I tried it a couple of times years ago and loved the stuff
If you read the "ppphtht" thread, thats getting redone, in milk paint. This time, real milk paint.
So I thought, maybe some of you aren't so familiar with it.
Milk paint is an ancient recipie. I'm no historian, but there's theories that it predates the Egyptians. And as mystical as it sounds, its what they had. The "Milk" in the name is because curdled milk is used as a starting point. The curds are separated from the whey and blended into a creamy base. It is primarily a protein, casein, that gives the end result its bond.
Then there's hydrated lime, earth-derived pigments, sometimes inert fillers.

You can find a variety of recipies on the internet for making your own, and frankly, despite the time involved, I'm sorely tempted.
For now I've bought from the only place I know of that makes the real deal, the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co out of MA (that's pronounced MAH) for you west coast types. There's others available that say Milk on the can but they aint. Acrylics and vinyls aren't casein and lime.

It bonds superbly to unfinished wood, itself, or most anything porous. The company claims it doesnt bond well to anything with a sheen but my experiences make me think thats a safety precaution on their part. It probably would fall off of a gloss surface, but it clings to patches, fillers, glue, all those sorts of things you'd find in a "paint grade" piece made of that quality of stock.

There's a handful of neat effects that can be achieved with milk paint. Crackle is one. Two toned effects can be had via burnishing. If you like the tweak-ability of concentrates like Trans-Tint dyes, Milk paint can be mixed in various strengths. Solid, opaque, transparent, a light wash . . . groovy stuff. Unlike thinning latex down with water, milk paint doesn't care. It dries solely via evaporation.

You can change colors via mixing, or alter a dried surface with various topcoats. Tung oil, wb/acrylic top coats, wax, shellac . . . you name it.

Anywho. I'll post some pics probably within a week. Its neat stuff to play with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Milk Paint

Looking forward to your posts on milk paint. I like your experimental approach.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!