talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Why did my TS-55 do this?

Cut a board on the MFT last night and the saw recut my rubber strip closer to the guide rail. SAme blade, same guide rail, no changes. Probably cut a 16th of an inch off the already cut strip. Note this is the original guide rail that comes with the MFT 1080, I've been using it without repositioning the rubber strip for a year now with the stock blade on the saw. I checked the lateral play adjusters and they seem tight.

I pulled the blade and replaced it to see if maybe something weird was happening there, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I'm truly puzzled. Anybody else experienced this? Any ideas?

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Why did my TS-55 do this?

Could it be the glue used to attach the rubber strip to the rail failed and let it moved out to another position.?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

If the saw was seated properly on the guide rail, if the arbor nut was tight, I can't think of any way the splinter guard could be over-cut that much.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
If the saw was seated properly on the guide rail, if the arbor nut was tight, I can't think of any way the splinter guard could be over-cut that much.
Me neither! It's a complete mystery.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM

See page 12 of the Circular Saw Instruction Manual authored by Rick Christopherson. The chapter entitled: Matching the TS 55 to an Existing Guide Rail. Step four (4) states, Loosen the four hinge block mounting screws (2-front and 2-rear). Could those mounting screws have loosened up and caused your problem?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like what my TS55 did last spring... I also noticed that one day the saw cut much closer to the aluminum, leaving much less rubber exposed. The saw still cuts at this closer position, but I/we should probably adjust as described in the above post.

Tags
rubber guide strip, ts-55