talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Default That EC 125 sander

For awhile now people have been buying the EC 125 sander along with the larger 150mm pad to get the best of both sizes and avoid spend more money on a separate 150/3 sander. This week Tyler C. came out and stated (1). Please don't use the 125 with a larger pad, and (2). This type of Pad swapping would violate the warranty of the sander.
Going forward it will interesting to see if they further modify the tool to prevent users from installing the larger pad.
I'm still hoping for a EC 125/5 sander like Mirka offers as an option/stroke choice with their Deros for the US Market. But that would probably upset the marketing balance of the PRO 5 /REQ replacement sander and EC125/3 above it in the 125mm sander line...
Although, I wonder if the Rotex 125 sales have gone down due to the EC 125...
Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: That EC 125 sander

I've been wondering what to use the Pro 5 $50 discount coupon on and the EC 125 has been drifting into mind.

I have so many sanders already it's hard to justify buying another but the ES 125 might be the Goldilocks of 5 inchers. The regular 125 is fine but weak. I don't like the ergonomics of the RO 125.

So far I've managed to resist/avoid Festool's 6" range. Been using a pair of pretty good Bosch sanders in that size. Bought a 6" Ceros (can't remember orbit) instead of the very nice ETS 150 but I'm a little disappointed in the removal rate of the Ceros.

Haven't really kept up with the discussions of the the similarity of the 125/150 3mm stroke tools but it is hard to justify the $100 price difference, especially if the pads can be swapped with no discernible compromise.

Festool now has so many sanders it's getting confusing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Re: That EC 125 sander

Too funny, I was just the opposite of you with regards to never owning a Festool 5" sander, but owning everything else they offered here in the US including a Planex. I now own a PRO5, and will probably buy the much more aggressive EC 125 even though the orbit is only 1mm different than the PRO5s'. I need that sweet spot in between a RO90 and a EC 150 due to Moulding widths that I run into on older Chicago homes.
I too don't much care for the RO125, but may STILL get it if I'm just not happy with the EC 125 during the 30 days trial period.
However, since the RO 125 is only a slightly larger 3.6mm stoke/orbit in Random Orbit Mode , I suspect the EC 125 with its lighter weight on vertical surfaces will win me over fully just like it's larger 150/5 brother did...