talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Festool Tools (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/festool-tools/)
-   -   Carvex Revisited (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/festool-tools/6808-carvex-revisited.html)

Leakyroof 08-18-2016 02:25 AM

Carvex Revisited

I've had my Carvex since they came out here in the US. After all that time has gone by, I still don't like the location of the On-Off switch, in either hand it's just too far forward with the Barrel version. I'm wondering if a switch to the D handled saw would be better.
I've also never gotten friendly with the clear plastic shield in the front. I fight to get it off most of the time unless I reach for a tiny flat blade screwdriver to get it started off the face of the Jigsaw...:(
I love using the Jigsaw, just wonder if anyone else here has run into the same observations after a few years of ownership ....:popcorn::popcorn:

neilc 08-18-2016 03:05 AM

Re: Carvex Revisited

Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not...

What I don't like is that it is not convenient for quickly turning off the saw, which may be what you are referring to. I have been cutting thin material where the saw would start to bounce and I would quickly have to grab and reach for the switch to turn it off.

I like the power, the light, and the interchangeable bases of the saw. I have the battery version which is really handy.

I have not had an issue personally with the plastic screen - I will slide it up but never had a need to remove it. Why are you wanting to remove it?

I tried both the barrel and D-handle and found the barrel grip to be a bit more comfortable and controllable in terms of my hand being closer to the work.

Leakyroof 08-18-2016 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilc (Post 93158)
Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not...

What I don't like is that it is not convenient for quickly turning off the saw, which may be what you are referring to. I have been cutting thin material where the saw would start to bounce and I would quickly have to grab and reach for the switch to turn it off.

I like the power, the light, and the interchangeable bases of the saw. I have the battery version which is really handy.

I have not had an issue personally with the plastic screen - I will slide it up but never had a need to remove it. Why are you wanting to remove it?

I tried both the barrel and D-handle and found the barrel grip to be a bit more comfortable and controllable in terms of my hand being closer to the work.

As usual , you nailed it. The on/off switch is never near where I want it to be.
As for the Plastic Shield, if you ever use the smaller blades, you need a closer contact with the blade lock to successfully get a smaller than normal blade locked on place since they are much shorter than a normal length blade.

PaulG 08-18-2016 06:10 AM

I'm quite happy with my D handle corded except for the funky angle base with its 1/2 sized contact surface. I find it too easy to tip the saw, maybe the elevation of the D handle adds to that as well.

Leakyroof 04-17-2018 03:18 PM

Revisiting my old thread--- I'm starting to look at the Mafell P1cc Jigsaw. Timberwolf is very close to my house, so I could make an appointment to see their stuff if I call them. The usual problem of Mafell's pricey stuff has to be thought of as well since I would really need to sell off my Carvex and all its accessories if I go in on the Mafell and a few extra parts for the saw. We
You can now get a Collins Coping Foot for the Mafell, so they ended up making them like they did for the Carvex.
I would have 2 track systems, Festool and Mafell, and probably those special Mafell blades as well but the Mafell Tracks are in a league of their own from what I've read and seen, so even if they're only used for the Jigsaw, it's probably worth it unless I want to get the Mafell Track saw to replace my old ATF55....:laughing1:
I might miss the Light of the Carvex, but my old Bosch has never had it ,so I know it's not the most important feature to me in the first place.
Hmmm:Loser:

PaulG 04-18-2018 11:42 AM

If you take the leap to the Mafell I look forward to your review. Everything I've read about them is positive, I just wish I could try them out. I've got a Woodcraft about a mile from the house and can physically check out the Festools before buying.

Leakyroof 04-18-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulG (Post 93976)
If you take the leap to the Mafell I look forward to your review. Everything I've read about them is positive, I just wish I could try them out. I've got a Woodcraft about a mile from the house and can physically check out the Festools before buying.

I think I'm passing on the Mafell for now, it's just too much money to start all over again on a Jig Saw and related items for it since I don't use one that often to justify the purchase. I added up a pre-tax total of about $1491 which got me the Jig Saw with its standard kit, a tilting base for the Saw, 2 different length Rails, 1 Rail Connector, 2 Rail Clamps, a pack of Splinter guards, 2 Curve Cutting Blades [W1] a pack of Fine Cut Blades, [ W+P2] Thick/Deep Cut Blades [ W3] and Reverse Cut blade pack [ W6].. gulp....
I've got my old Bosch, I've got the Carvex and all its accessories, I'm probably never going to fully like the Carvex but I'm living with it for the foreseeable future.....:headslap:

Leakyroof 04-20-2018 08:32 PM

If I deleted buying the 2 rails and their associated parts, I would end up about $400 cheaper, before tax. The trouble is, since the Jig saw runs so well , if needed, on those guide rails, you'd hate to limit yourself to free-hand cuts only by not buying the rails at some point.
Not sure if Mafell has Festool's annual price increases, so buying the not-so-cheap rails before they could go up again in price seems better than waiting a year or two later AFTER buying the Jig Saw.....:popcorn:

neilc 04-20-2018 10:23 PM

That's a lot of money for a jigsaw.

Not sure how much you use a jigsaw but if you calculated cost per linear inch cut annually, it might be an interesting metric.

I could far more justify a tracksaw at that price given the linear inches I cut.

Leakyroof 04-21-2018 12:17 AM

Funny you mention Band Saws.... Until I bought my 1 1/2HP Rikon back in either 2007 or Ď08, the Bosch Jig Saw I still have was my only way of cutting curves.
Itís great, but not that powerful, so something like 8/4 material was a struggle.
My Carvex has more power, runs on my Guide Rails, has attachments galore, but I have never like the placement of the On/Off switch on my Barrel Model.... go figure....:rofl: