talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 03:57 AM

Default Festool tracksaw blades, what do you think?

Recently, I changed the blade out on my TS75. I was running the standard festool universal blade. That blade is pretty fresh and new.
I put in a Japanese blade that I picked up from a guy that had it made or bored to the correct size. He said it's a custom blade from tenryu, but the brand mark on the blade isn't that of tenryu. It could be a different branch of their blade operation that deals in one off's, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, this blade is a whole lot better than festools offering on the TS75. I work with hardwoods almost exclusively. I very rarely use soft woods and don't use sheet material in my work. I've long said the festool tracksaws are underpowered (compared to other brands I've used) and have the annoying habit of grunting, shifting speeds mid cut. The Japanese blade has helped with this problem, the saw keeps a more constant speed during the cut but the saw still feels underpowered.
I wonder, and it seems to me the festool blades aren't helping the saw reach their full potential, although more power from the motor would probably cure a lot of the problems I've had with my TS55 & TS75.
What experiences are you guys having?
Cheers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Festool tracksaw blades, what do you think?

My TS75 experience is mostly with 3/4" sheet goods so it's more than up to those tasks. Cutting 2 boards at the same time works fine also, no lack of power. And the cut quality from their blades has been fine. I've never used other TS's or blades so really nothing to compare to personally, my main complaint is the rail connectors are lame and the ends of the rails aren't made square. If Mafell was an easier buy here in the US I'd be inclined to switch in the future, but for now the TS75 and blades meets my needs.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine you'd have many power issues cutting sheet goods with a 75. Hardwoods is another matter, and as I've discovered, the blades may be part of the issue. I'm quite sure the 75 was meant for more than sheet goods, but it's just not quite got the guts to cut 1.5 plus hardwoods. It's interesting that this new blade I have has helped a little.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM

And yes, I agree about the rail connectors, pretty inaccurate in all honesty compared to the competition. I'm not in the market for a new tracksaw, and don't foresee me getting another in the future..but if I were, I'd be switching to the Mafell saws.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Yes, thick hardwood is a completely different story. I've done some 3/4" maple and poplar just fine, but that's not much of a test. It makes perfect sense that a different blade can make a difference, I hope the new blade holds up for you.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:20 PM

My personal experience with the TS75 has been fine, I have used it on 8/4 maple and walnut, and, I seem to recall, 10/4 as well. Although I am fine to go slow, not a production shop, it did get bogged down a bit with the heavy stuff. Overall, I like it just fine, though I am intrigued by the concept of a better blade, hmmm, I can feel the credit card heating up as I type this.

It is strange that they would not carefully machine the track ends, perhaps they just want you to buy longer tracks separately rather than join them together.

Hard to know what the engineers are being tasked to focus on. For instance, after compulsively worrying about the face of the domino 500 joiner not registering completely flat, when I sent it in for service, I was told by the techs that it is not machined so that the face is flat against the workpiece, it is machined and engineered for the cutter to register from the drop down fence, not from the face of the machine. The friction pads throw the face out of whack by a miniscule amount, I was told that was expected. Strange, huh?
Old 09-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I have both saws and bought the TS75 first to straight-line rip some rough, 8/4 ash that had been baking in an old building for 33 years. It was about like concrete! I check FOG (before tF was started) and others recommended the panther blade for ripping. It was also explained that the grunting was the electronic motor control reacting to the material to prevent overload and burnout.

I have also seen comments that the Tenryu blades are superior to Festool blades on several forums. I have not tried them yet myself.

As a portable circular saw, the TS75/TS55 will never perform as well as a table saw, but are great for the uses they excel at, given a bit of patience for less power. After the above rips, I cut to width on my 5hp Jet table saw, which handled the dense wood without any grunts. For an initial precise, straight cut, there really is no substitute when working with crooked rough timber.

I have never really had a problem joining rails or had out-of-square ends. I usually place a 6' level on the rail spine when tightening the connectors, just for reassurance. I did many 3-rail long, joint ready cuts, before adopting the level routine and never had any gaps on the glue-ups.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-18-2015, 11:38 PM

Yes, they are very handy for ripping one side of a crook board before the tablesaw, it saves a lot of messing about. I wouldn't call the cuts joint ready though. It seems the grunting from the electronics shifting and bogging is the biggest issue I have with these saws. The "tenryu" blade has helped that, the motor runs smoother throughout the cut. I think the engineers were over cautious in protecting the motor, thus making it somewhat weak.
If you haven't used over circular saws of similar wattage, you probably wonder what I'm going on about
Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Recently, I changed the blade out on my TS75. I was running the standard festool universal blade. That blade is pretty fresh and new.
I put in a Japanese blade that I picked up from a guy that had it made or bored to the correct size. He said it's a custom blade from tenryu, but the brand mark on the blade isn't that of tenryu. It could be a different branch of their blade operation that deals in one off's, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, this blade is a whole lot better than festools offering on the TS75. I work with hardwoods almost exclusively. I very rarely use soft woods and don't use sheet material in my work. I've long said the festool tracksaws are underpowered (compared to other brands I've used) and have the annoying habit of grunting, shifting speeds mid cut. The Japanese blade has helped with this problem, the saw keeps a more constant speed during the cut but the saw still feels underpowered.
I wonder, and it seems to me the festool blades aren't helping the saw reach their full potential, although more power from the motor would probably cure a lot of the problems I've had with my TS55 & TS75.
What experiences are you guys having?
Cheers
Electronic speed controls are designed to keep the rpm of the arbor constant so as the load changes the power supplied to the motor changes. (Rick would probably have some problems with my description) The controller supplies more power when the speed slows down. It can only do that if it "normally" supplies substantially less than full power so it has something in reserve. The change in amount of power results in the gear gnashing as the motor changes from pushing to coasting.

The speed controller "decides" what to do based on the speed of the motor and it gets that information from the Hall effect sensor.

Read this post of Rick's.

The takeaway is that if the Hall effect sensor was disabled then the motor would run at full speed all the time. This would allow you to get smoother cuts by proceeding slowly (as long as you don't go so slow that the wood burns) since the gear gnashing will be eliminated. You might not get more ultimate power if you're already pushing hard enough that the controller is passing on full power (but maybe it still holds back a little for safety).

The risk is that you could burn out your motor by overworking the saw so be very conscious of sound and heat to avoid the dreaded smell of melting insulation.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:02 PM

Hi Michael, where have you been hiding?
So what I need to do is disable that pesky sensor to have a decent running saw.
Are you still running the thin blade in your TS?