talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Default Wanting to buy a Domino, some questions.

So, my house, car and now home equity loan for the garage have been paid off along with Bridge City keeping the expensive new tool offerings to a minimum and I find myself with a surprisingly large checking account balance- kind of snuck up on me- well we all know that we can't tolerate that, so needing to build some kitchen cabinets and seeing the checking balance, I've decided that a Domino is in my future.

After a bit of looking, I have some questions: where should I buy it from; since I have no other Festools, I figure I should get a package with a vacuum, which vacuum is the smallest that won't limit me in the future and what other accessories should I plan on getting?

Thanks,
Rutager
P.S. I'm sure you all mean well and want to help me out, but no need to supply with me your address for me to send you money, I just need to man up and handle this "problem" on my own!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Wanting to buy a Domino, some questions.

I have the Domino 500 and it's great. Suggest you get the domino systainer assortment with the bits as you will end up using a lot of them over time.

The Midi vac is a nice size if you want to move it around. The CT26 is good for shop use and it adds the flexibility of a boom arm option. I have both vacs and the boom arm. Use the Midi around the house, vacuuming the cars and when I need to do something offsite. 26 stays in the shop.

As to where to buy, Toolnut, Festool Products, Bob Marino, Festool Fanatic are all good online sites. Or a good local dealer if you have one.

There are a couple of useful accessories that I use and think they are worthwhile...

- Dominoguide.com (Rick Christopherson in the Twin Cities) makes the Self Centering Guide which is excellent.
- Domiplate (senecawoodworking) is a nice addition if you do a lot of sheet goods work and want to easily center dominos in the ply.

Last edited by neilc; 05-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'll second all Neil's suggestions. I have the smaller Domino, and have not found it limiting. Actually, I got it "used" (it had never been used) on ebay for a significant savings.

As for dust collection, I have the CT-Mini, which works well. I added the Ultimate Dust Deputy, which saves a huge amount in vacuum bags. But if I were doing it again, I would get at least the CT-26. More capacity, more suction, and more versatility down the road.

I also agree with Neil about getting the Domino assortment in the Systainer - it's been really nice to have. Get all the bits, too. Sometimes the smallest one does not come with the set. Those small ones are surprisingly useful.

Do spend some time perusing the Seneca web site. They make really nice stuff for the Domino. Great people, and useful, well-made products. Especially if you want to work in Imperial units.

Also - consider ordering your Domino from someone out of state to save paying sales tax.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM

I agree with the advice below.

I have both the small and large Dominoes. The small one gets all the use so far. Small one would definitely handle kitchen cabinets. Large one is nice for exterior door type projects.

To tell the truth, most of my accessories are collecting dust.

And yes, all the bit sizes have proven useful.

A bit of advice. Play with it a while before you start a real project. Technique is important. Go slow, don't push hard, keep it straight and snug. As my main Domino weakness - don't be tempted to see how fast you can go.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Another nice accessory for the Domino (one time tool though):

Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 PM

Good info so far.

From what I'm hearing, I have tentatively decided on:
CT-26 vac
Regular domino
Systainer asst.
Dust Deputy.

I see Festool has a circular stock adapter and a thin stock adapter; anyone suggest these?

Seneca Woodworking also has an adapter that allows you to use all the small cutters in the XL machine and an accessory to enable it to center on thinner stock, so that would give me a larger range, although I suspect I would rarely use the larger capacity and end up struggling with a bigger machine when the smaller would be easier to use, thoughts?

Last question for now: if I use the dust deputy, do I lose the ability to attach other systainers to the top of the vac?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Good info so far.

CT-26 vac
Regular domino
Systainer asst.
Dust Deputy.

I see Festool has a circular stock adapter and a thin stock adapter; anyone suggest these?

Seneca Woodworking also has an adapter that allows you to use all the small cutters in the XL machine and an accessory to enable it to center on thinner stock, so that would give me a larger range, although I suspect I would rarely use the larger capacity and end up struggling with a bigger machine when the smaller would be easier to use, thoughts?

Last question for now: if I use the dust deputy, do I lose the ability to attach other systainers to the top of the vac?
Rutager,
If you're not going to build doors and large outdoor items, stick with the 500. It'll do all you want. Good choice on the 26 as well. The Ultimate Dust Deputy will keep you from adding things to the top of the unit. You might try it without the UDD first and see if you create that much dust. I've got one with the boom arm and the dust deputy. It's mobile in the shop, but I don't haul it anywhere else to use. If I needed to be more mobile I'd either buy another vac or leave off the Dust Deputy and boom arm.
Mike
Old 05-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So, my house, car and now home equity loan for the garage have been paid off along with Bridge City keeping the expensive new tool offerings to a minimum and I find myself with a surprisingly large checking account balance- kind of snuck up on me- well we all know that we can't tolerate that, so needing to build some kitchen cabinets and seeing the checking balance, I've decided that a Domino is in my future.

After a bit of looking, I have some questions: where should I buy it from; since I have no other Festools, I figure I should get a package with a vacuum, which vacuum is the smallest that won't limit me in the future and what other accessories should I plan on getting?

Thanks,
Rutager
P.S. I'm sure you all mean well and want to help me out, but no need to supply with me your address for me to send you money, I just need to man up and handle this "problem" on my own!
1 - Where to buy it from: If you have a local Festool dealer and you like having a place locally to purchase tools or supplies in a pinch then I'd suggest supporting them with your business. All Festools in the US are price controlled by FestoolUSA so no price shopping. Assuming you're in the US and which State you live it's possible to shirk the sales tax by buying out of state, but it's legally still owed by you and if you're audited you may get a bigger hit. But if no local dealer or they are too slow in getting me something I need now, then places like Amazaon, toolnut.com or tool-home.com have done right by me.

2 - Which vacuum: I've been really please with the CT36, for me it's a good balance between capacity and portability. The difference in suction between the mini/midi's vs the 26 through 48 is so minimal as to not much matter IMO (130 vs 137 CFM and all at 96" water lift). The answer really depends on if you'll strictly be in the shop or not and if you want to add a dust deputy. If adding a dusty deputy might as well go small since the bag won't get much debris. If no dust deputy and staying strictly in the shop then maybe go with the 48 to have more capacity. Dust deputy is awesome IMO, I use one with a shop vac set up but not the CT. I do some occasional transporting of the CT so the 36 has been good as long as the bag isn't too full. IMO the CT isn't needed with a domino, a shop vac works fine, but you definitely need something to remove the debris. The variable suction of the CT really shines with sanding. Domino and track saw work are typically done at full suction. The auto start is where the CT is convenient for all Festools as well as the general systematized approach by which all hoses fit the tools, etc.

As for the vac hose, if you go with a domino XL and using bigger cutters you may want to consider a wider hose to mitigate the possibility of debris clog, for me it's a hearsay issue in that I don't yet have an XL but have read of it being a problem for some folks.

3 - Accessories: As mentioned there's the Seneca Woodworking domiplates for either the 500 or XL, if you go XL the 500 to 700 cutter adapter, as well as the Imperial thickness gauges for both models. And of course Festool has some accessories of their own.

Practice a lot before working on the real thing, takes a little getting used to.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Good info so far.

CT-26 vac
Regular domino
Systainer asst.
Dust Deputy.

The Seneca adapter was just coming out when I was getting the 500, I'm glad I got the 500 for the smaller stuff. I'll be adding an XL for the big stuff, got some bigger table mortising to do in a near future project.

Nothing goes on top of the dust deputy.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The Dust Deputy will pretty much make putting other systainers on top of the vac a no-go when it is plumbed to the vac. You can get the Domino as a "set" with the Festool wings and centering plate included,which will save money. I have used both, especially the wings which allow you to space dominos father apart than the stops on the machine allow.

The next combo I would consider is the MFT/3 with the TS55REQ circular saw. The only available combination including the table is with a saw. The TS75 might be more useful if you are dealing with thicker timbers. (I bought the TS55 combo several years ago.) I already had a TS75 that I bought in 2007 to straight-line rip some 9/4 ash I had. I also used it on thinner stock and it really came in handy on those 17' joint-ready cuts I had to make for a bar top I was building. It is heavier and requires about 10cm more overhanging rail at the beginning and end of the cut than a TS55 does. Get the "holey" rails when you can, just in case you get an LR32 hole system in the future. I have several rails and connectors for those long cuts.

Be careful; that Green Kool Aid is addictive.....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959