talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Wanting to buy a Domino, some questions.

For your kitchen cabinets (and most furniture builds) the smaller domino 500 is all you'll need. The 700 is aimed at larger jobs like doors,gates and larger table bases,etc..
Yep, probably wise to go with a vac package with that, if you don't already have a vac to plug the domino into. If you have a regular vac that you can plug the tool into, that would be fine for the domino as you won't be turning the suction down with this particular tool.
If you are thinking about sanders in the future, the variable speed vac is really useful.
If you want to store systainers on the vac (and not use the dust deputy) get the 36. If you want the dust deputy (and no systainer storage on the vac) get the 26.
The only assesory I've used for the domino is their narrow stock centering jig, and that has worked well. I wouldn't bother with the rest, they are flimsy plastic and not accurate to be honest.
Aftermarket assesories are much better quality.
You probably don't really need the boom arm for the domino to be honest. You'll feel the benefits of the boom arm with a tool that you are moving while in operation, like a tracksaw or sander. If your budget allows, it's a nice bling item for your setup
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

BTW, Festool has apparently changed their package deals so that lots of stuff works with a vac or table. Check out this blog post of 4/29/15:
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...tore/blog/joel

Pretty cool.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Here's some vids that may be of interest to you...

Domino related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6DXVCW3c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7uymzu30SI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhc7HGa-P3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdzWZEw1T88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGR66Wi1nqY

CT and DD related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFcnJ_LUvk
Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 AM

Good Videos by the fellow, Peter Parfitt.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:27 AM

Dust bags for a CT26 are a little under $8 each. Given the inconvenience of not storing sustainers on top, I'm not sure the Dust Deputy is a good idea for hobbyists.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Good point Jesse, although are we sure you can't put a systainers on before the DD? It apparently attached the same way and is then just hooked up with hoses. I'm sure it's not as handy having to take it off to get to the container though.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Good point Jesse, although are we sure you can't put a systainers on before the DD? It apparently attached the same way and is then just hooked up with hoses. I'm sure it's not as handy having to take it off to get to the container though.
yep, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a few select systainers at hand on the vac, if you would need to remove the DD to access them. Also, I'm not sure the supplied hose would be long enough to fit anything under the DD unit.
The systainer mounting on the vacs is of more benefit to the tradesman/woman that needs to be mobile. In a shop environment, there really isn't much need for it IMO.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
yep, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a few select systainers at hand on the vac, if you would need to remove the DD to access them. Also, I'm not sure the supplied hose would be long enough to fit anything under the DD unit.
The systainer mounting on the vacs is of more benefit to the tradesman/woman that needs to be mobile. In a shop environment, there really isn't much need for it IMO.
Agreed. About the only downside I can think of regarding the DD on a CT in a shop is it gets hard to tuck the CT under a table. Also keep in mind Festool may make a stink about a CT warranty claim if they think they can source the cause to the DD. But there's been a lot done now with the DD to address static build up.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I got the upgrade kit from Oneida (for free) and haven't experienced any static since installing it. Seems to be fine now.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM

I suggest the Domino manual by Jerry Work - very informative, you can get it off his website.