talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Who's using the little rotex?

I didn't think I would use my RO90 much when I got it - I was actually in the process of buying the RAS115 for chair seat sculpting, but they didn't have that in stock so I got the RO90 to play with. I still got the RAS115 which works great for controlled sculpting, but that is another topic. I drag the RO90 out with some frequency for doing small work. The RO150 is still my go-to sander. However, again last night the RO90 came in handy, finish seems to be acceptable, though not up to your standards.

I am interested in a small, true one-handed sander, though. You can use the RO90 one-handed, but not long term with real control. Does anyone have a true palm sander - one handed operation type sander (other than a scrap of wood and a piece of sandpaper - I have those I think)? I have seen small pneumatic ones but am not familiar with them - normal electric would probably be handier for me, would like festool type dust collection, too.

Last edited by Paul; 02-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I didn't think I would use my RO90 much when I got it - I was actually in the process of buying the RAS115 for chair seat sculpting, but they didn't have that in stock so I got the RO90 to play with. I still got the RAS115 which works great for controlled sculpting, but that is another topic. I drag the RO90 out with some frequency for doing small work. The RO150 is still my go-to sander. However, again last night the RO90 came in handy, finish seems to be acceptable, though not up to your standards.

I am interested in a small, true one-handed sander, though. You can use the RO90 one-handed, but not long term with real control. Does anyone have a true palm sander - one handed operation type sander (other than a scrap of wood and a piece of sandpaper - I have those I think)? I have seen small pneumatic ones but am not familiar with them - normal electric would probably be handier for me, would like festool type dust collection, too.
You just described the Mirka CEROS perfectly. They are true one handed palm sanders ( like an air sander ). They are electric, but run from a transformer. Very light weight, excellent dust collection, incredible controllability and finish also. They come in 6". 5". And a 3" version.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM

I just bought my RO 90 and the Midi vacuum. I got to use it on my addition remodel and absolutely love. On a whim I bought a unused Metabo SXE400 on eBay. It was $75. Anyways powered it on and it makes a loud grininding sound. I havent use it yet, I was going to use it as my beater for rough work and keep my RO90 for really fine work. Ends up the machine is phenomenal. I love using it. I am using it for pretty much all material removal. Soooo happy I bought them (the RO90 and the Midi).
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Chris and the green koolaid drinkers support group here is great!

Glad to hear you like your RO90. I don't have that one yet, but have had an RO125FEQ and ETS125 for several years and they are my go-to sanders. The dust collection is unmatched. I recently picked up the Planex and CT36AC combo for some dry walling I'm doing later this year. It's on sale until tomorrow for 10% off.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 PM

Maybe he's had one too many of those green kool aid's you mentioned, wino...
I wouldn't call the metabo a "beater" sander, far from it. It leaves a fine finish, and I'm betting it leaves a better finish than the RO90 is capable of.. better balanced, the random orbit actually spins also
I once had a rotex (and a few other festool sanders). I got sucked into the hype and marketing, then realised they weren't performing even close to the levels I expected from them, especially the rotex 150 and half sheet sander. I sold them, and have and invested in Mirka, Rupes and metabo sanders and have never looked back.
So finish up that kool aid and give yourself a big slap in the mirror
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Sold the Metabo. Grinding got too bad and the machines smoked. Not too impressed but I didn't buy it new. I did get the Bosch ROS65VCL and that has been doing a lot of work in my shop. Very happy with it.