talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 AM

Default 1400 edge guide compatible with 2000?

The OF2000, one of my favourite festools. Mine lives on my Leigh FMT and it seems like it was made for that jig, its a fine router.
Anyway, I don't have any accessories for it (and they are no longer available here as far as I know), but I think I remember hearing some of the OF1400 parts might fit it, for example the collets?
I'm wondering whether the OF1400 edge guide might fit also (as they are available here), anyone know if this might work?

I wish these routers were still available, I'd buy two more in a heartbeat.
The OF2200 looks great, but very expensive, I'd rather have two OF2000 to be honest.. would be great on a slab flattening jig with those angled handles and smooth power
cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 1400 edge guide compatible with 2000?

I've never used the router technique to flatten a slab, Okamisan. Can you tell me what the advantage is over, say, a jointer, hand planes, or a planer? What bit do you use?

(You can tell I'm interested, but haven't tried it yet...)

P.S. Sorry - I don't have an OF2000 to sell you...
Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I've never used the router technique to flatten a slab, Okamisan. Can you tell me what the advantage is over, say, a jointer, hand planes, or a planer? What bit do you use?
Have you heard whether some of the parts are compatible?

Well, Potosan, my jointer is 16" (400mm) wide. I'm talking about table top slabs sizes, well over double the width of my jointer
Hand planes are possible but I couldn't make a living out of flattening table top slabs with a hand plane

Wide belt sanders: out of my league
Router flattening jig: just need a router and a home made jig

I did see a nice design on fine woodworking before, but heres some variations of a slab flattening jig:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
The OF2000, one of my favourite festools. Mine lives on my Leigh FMT and it seems like it was made for that jig, its a fine router.
Anyway, I don't have any accessories for it (and they are no longer available here as far as I know), but I think I remember hearing some of the OF1400 parts might fit it, for example the collets?
I'm wondering whether the OF1400 edge guide might fit also (as they are available here), anyone know if this might work?

I wish these routers were still available, I'd buy two more in a heartbeat.
The OF2200 looks great, but very expensive, I'd rather have two OF2000 to be honest.. would be great on a slab flattening jig with those angled handles and smooth power
cheers!
I have two OF2000's and I love them. I also have one on the FMT and it's brilliant!
I have the other on the D4R jig. Works beautifully as well.
I believe that the router guide that attaches to the 2000 and the guide rail is the same one as for the OF1400. I have one (guide).Why don't you fire an email to Anthony at Ideal Tools (office@idealtools.com.au) and ask if he has any left. That is if you don't already have them available. Actually, he could confirm their compatability. Tell him LGS said he could help!

Regards,

Rob

Last edited by Ausrob; 08-30-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM

To answer my own question no, the of1400 edge guide doesn't fit on the of2000. I had it confirmed today.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I did some sleuthing with whatever connections I have haha

The edge guide for the OF-2000 is different from the others as you found out due to the center-to-center distance for the guide rods.

Since the OF-2000 was sunset and on the reconditioned sale, it seems the prices of accessories are higher than expected. You can order the edge guide new from a dealer for $150. The equivalent for the OF-2200 is $85. Naturally the dealer can't ship to you so you'd need a shipping proxy.

Someone told me the edge guide for a DeWalt 625 (an Elu router) fits the OF-2000 (also an Elu design). I have not confirmed that. You likely could find such an edge guide in Japan or have someone buy it and ship it for a pretty cheap sum.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 AM

Thanks for having a sniff about, Paul-Marcel
Maybe it was the Dewalt I heard was compatible with the OF2000..I'm sure one is
The OF2000 was actually made by Mafell, I could check to see whether they have anything also.
Also I think I remember something about a company that makes aftermarket (universal) edge guides for routers I'll look into that as well
Cheers!

Last edited by Okami; 08-31-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:46 AM

Okami,

Micro Fence makes an adapter for their edge guide.

Best,
Rutager
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Okami,

Micro Fence makes an adapter for their edge guide.

Best,
Rutager
Ah yes! that's the after market brand I was trying to remember
Thanks Rutager!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

haha, the MicroFence adapter will make the $150 Festool edge guide look inexpensive

Good luck, Okami! Report back!