talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Sticky TS 55 REQ???

Hello,

I just received my very first Festool purchase -- a TS 55REQ. I have a couple of initial questions/concerns. First, I am a bit surprised at the sound the tool makes on start-up. It makes sort of a grinding noise. Once the blade reaches speed, this goes away and the overall noise is on the quiet side compared to your average circular saw. Can you tell me whether this initial metal on metal noise is normal?

Also, I find that the plunge action of the saw is sticky. Specifically, on the way back up -- when the blade is retracting back into its housing. It seems that there are some indents(typical depths?) that allow you to quickly find a specific depth. These indents, however, keep the saw from retracting. It will stick in one, and I'll have to sort of coax/force the blade to retract past it. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I'd imagine that the blade should retract smoothly. This is not the case. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

David

PS Just as a point of interest... The track I received had a significant bow to it. It was sort of like a see saw on my bench. I'm sending it back to be replaced.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Sticky TS 55 REQ???

Upon closer examination I discovered that it is the piece that is engaged when pulling the Fast Fix lever that is getting caught up on some indentations. Is this normal? What ends up happening is the saw doesn't retract until I lift it iff the work surface. Then it slams back in.

Did I receive a faulty saw to go along with my faulty track?

Please help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadstrup View Post
Upon closer examination I discovered that it is the piece that is engaged when pulling the Fast Fix lever that is getting caught up on some indentations. Is this normal? What ends up happening is the saw doesn't retract until I lift it iff the work surface. Then it slams back in.

Did I receive a faulty saw to go along with my faulty track?

Please help.
Hi David,

The noise that you are hearing is normal. It is the result of the electronics controlling the motor speed. It growls. RE: your sticking saw. I don't have the 55REQ but what you are experiencing doesn't sound normal. You might want to give Festool a phone call (the number is on your saw) and see what they have to say.

Peter
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 AM

Thanks for replying, Peter. I appreciate it. I discovered a thread on the Festool Owner's Group about the very same retraction problem. It looks like this is, in fact, not normal, and that a number of people have similar complaints. I'm sending it back along with the bowed track.

Regarding the noise: after playing around a bit with the variable speed, I discovered that the saw is quite quiet below about 5. Above 5 it screams unnaturally. I, of course, expect it to be loud. But screaming? It's a high pitched, metal grating sound. Actually much more unpleasant sounding than my Bosch circular saw.

And if things couldn't get worse... I noticed that one of the front wheels of my CT26 is wonky. It doesn't have the movement it should. It won't spin and will drag around like a broken foot. Looking at it closely it seems that the wheel isn't seated in the same way as the other. For the life of me, though, I can't get it better seated. It's not that's it's loose or anything. Just in some inexplicable way wrong.

Anyways, I have to say I'm sorely disappointed in all 3 tools. Bad track, bum saw, and wonky footed dust extractor. These were my very first Festool purchases, and while I know that they are a wonderful brand with brilliant engineering, I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to exchange them or return them. Does anyone out there want to talk me giving Festool another try?

Thanks.

David
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM

Where did you make the purchase. If through a CPO, I had the same problem with bad items. I usually go through Toolnut for all my Festool purchases with no problems since.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:30 AM

Get a Mafell tracksaw
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 AM

Seriously, it doesn't sound right. You're unlucky to get a defective saw and track in the same purchase. Send it back and demand all new
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have the new TS55, but as Peter said, the electronics will make a sort-of grinding noise when it's working hard. But it's a long way from a metal-on-metal screeching noise. That's not right. Also the guide rail and wheel are not acceptable. Send them back until you are satisfied. I've never had such a series of problems, but I've heard only good things about Festool customer service.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM

I have the TS55 REQ. Other than the usual Festool startup rumble (same as my TS75) it sounds like every other circular saw to me. No stickiness, very smooth through all actions.

I'm new to the Festool acquisition syndrome this year and they are rapidly piling up. I've no problems with any of the tools... so far.

Most of my Powermatic and Festools have come from CPO, though a few from the local lumber yard. Ordering, shipping times and products have been top notch.

Sounds like a run of bad luck. Or as I like to call it... a sh#t storm. I'm sure whoever you got it from will give you a hassle free exchange. Give it another try. Sometimes you have to punch through bad karma.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 PM

First, the wheel on the CT should be an easy fix, like a new part installed, or remove the offending part and see if the bore or hole that it fits into has something like plastic flashing in the way. Festool will handle this for you under the warranty if it's new.
Next, as Peter H. stated, and to elaborate on, The Saw noise. I'm told that there is a bit of a break-in period where the gear mesh noise can sound quite different from new saw to older, used saw. But also, there will be a noise of whatever level due to the design of the saw and the way the electronics run the motor. FOG has several threads on this, but for your ears, if would help if you could listen to a used TS55 to see if the current noise level of the saw would still be acceptable to you once yours 'ages'. Don't know how easy this would be for you to arrange, but if there are any Festool Demo Days going around near you, I'd bring your saw in if you haven't already returned it for service and compare the Festool Rep's version with yours, as they run theirs enough to give you an idea of what normal is.
Sorry you're hitting the wall with bum tools right out of the gate, it's rare for most Festool owners to have that happen to them. I've been lucky so far, other than a worn out-loose power outlet in my CT-22 dust extractor, I'm free of defects or inop tools so far.
Festool Service will straighten it all out for you...