talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Kapex vs Makita LS1216L 12"?

I've got the Makita, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a Kapex. I don't move the Makita and won't be moving the Kapex around either. I like the fact that I can cut wide boards on the Makita, but DC sucks. I do wish the Makita had lasers. What will the Kapex give me that the 12" Makita does not?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Kapex vs Makita LS1216L 12"?

I am in the process of upgrading to the Kapex as well. Like everything else Festool, you are buying into a well thought out system. The Kapex, in my opinion, is easier to use, the hold down is simple, dust collection superb(and there is no price for good health), and blade change is easy as pie. At the end of the day the entire saw is both easy to use and intuitive. Even if you knew nothing about the saw, all you need is a few minutes and the knowledge that anything green is adjustable.

For me, it is also personnel, I would rather spend money to reward innovation and companies will to roll out new products that might flop.

Last edited by ShawnR; 04-16-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Adding info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Kapex vs Makita LS1216L 12"?

I bought the LS1016L Makita over the Kapex for one reason... ergonomics. I had used a freind's Kapex on a job over the course of a week or so doing a bunch of trim. To me the pull down, vertical position of the Kapex handle puts a tremendous amount of strain (pain) on my fifty six year old arthritic wrists. Especially at the last few inches of follow-through of the cut. And if the saw is on a lower bench you almost have to squat to finish the cut. The Makita's horizontal "push" down handle was way more comfortable for me.

And my Makita has the laser. Isn't that what the "L" stands for in the model number?

I love to spend money, but the Kapex' ergos killed that one.

Anyway, thats my experience.