talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Lex Sanders and their lack of Abrasives

Saw an AD in the Classified Section on FOG. It was for the LEX2 185 Air Sander, with its 7mm stroke. Although the sander is being sold minus that special IAS 2 hose that Festool makes to intergrate with its Dust Extractors when using their pneumatic sanders, the larger surprise for me when I looked up the tool was the lack of any Abrasives for it here in the US. It's kind of like the Planex in that you get Brilliant 2 or really coarse Saphir in like one grit. Titan 2 is also offered
If you check overseas however, they're offering many more choices in the 185mm paper that this sander takes.
For a production shop that might be using several air sanders and have the compressor to run them, they'd look elsewhere possibly for sanders and abrasives since we can't get Rubin 2 or Granat from what I could find on the LEX 185 sander.
So, who IS buying these 185mm pneumatic sanders here in the US? I'm guessing MAYBE the 6" /150mm version is better selling than the 185mm tool ? You get the usual choices in 150mm abrasives with the smaller LEX2 sander, along with 2 really different strokes, 3mm versus 7mm.
Boat work? Bottom Paint/Keel work? Someone must be buying them.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 04-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Lex Sanders and their lack of Abrasives

Try Festool-home.com. They advertise a range of papers.

or better still, post your question on festoolownersgroup.com, many of the dealers follow that forum
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:10 AM

You might also want to try calling Festool USA directly. The LEX line is not a popular with contractors or hobbyists, but my guess is that it is supported for body shops, etc.

Peter
Old 03-31-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
You might also want to try calling Festool USA directly. The LEX line is not a popular with contractors or hobbyists, but my guess is that it is supported for body shops, etc.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I have no wish to buy one, was just wondering out loud about the scarcity of range in abrasives for it.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
Try Festool-home.com. They advertise a range of papers.

or better still, post your question on festoolownersgroup.com, many of the dealers follow that forum
Since the tool in question is for sale on FOG, I carefully posted my question here as not to scare off any buyers that are looking at it on FOG. I don't want my questions about a sander that I have zero intention of buying affecting the process. Was just wondering about it as it's a rare bird in woodworking circles, and you don't see pictures of it everyday.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 AM

I think the 7 inch format is mainly for automotive applications. Most wood shops that I have seen that use air sanders use a 5 inch format.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post
I think the 7 inch format is mainly for automotive applications. Most wood shops that I have seen that use air sanders use a 5 inch format.
I'll ask Danny Hale if he's even seen them out in the field. Titan 2 is also offered, so that's probably it, Metal working, Automotive or Boat work

Last edited by Leakyroof; 03-31-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM

I've always wanted the Fein 200mm rotary sander. It has a deep stroke also. The Fein isn't an air sander, which makes it more portable.
Companies like klingspor (spelling?) offer a very wide range of abrasives in different sizes. Good stuff too, from what I've used.

Last edited by Okami; 03-31-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM

Compressed air eccentric sander LEX 2 150/11 - LEX 2 150/11

Festool takes it to 11!!!
As in ,11mm stroke. Found their Automotive Page, lots of interesting tools. And that REALLY aggressive version of the LEX2 185 sander.
Wonder how much of a bear it is to handle.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I've always wanted the Fein 200mm rotary sander. It has a deep stroke also. The Fein isn't an air sander, which makes it more portable.
Companies like klingspor (spelling?) offer a very wide range of abrasives in different sizes. Good stuff too, from what I've used.
Fein Random-Orbit Sanders, Sanders, Power Tools, Tools - McFeely's
You mean this one?. I keep reading that people love this sander and have no issues with vibration OR, they hate it and it vibrates too much for them.
Seems to evoke feelings amongst its users.