talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 AM

Default Festool Guide Rail Accuracy

Hey All

I tryed to search but could not find any thing.

How accurate is the Festool Guide Rail? Is there data about this? Are there tolerances documents?

Thanks

Ari
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Festool Guide Rail Accuracy

Hi Ari,

For what it's worth, Ican cut 2 and 1mm strips on the TS75 reproducibly. Can't give you tolerances, but they ARE 2 and 1mm strips.

Regards,

Rob
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 AM

Like most things, most are straight, but some aren't. If you can, it's better to look or try before you buy, especially if you are buying a rail to join with an existing one you already have. Some mate-up better than others.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The only problem I have had with accuracy is if the guide strip on the rail slips. This can cause the actual cut to be outside where the strip indicates it will be. This can be cured by installing and cutting a new strip.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Rob, thank you very much. I attend to a woodworking forum in Brasil and some folks are having some precision problems with their rails. My rails are fine but some folks are complaining about it.

Good tips Okami, thank's a lot!!

Wonderwino, I will let then know about the guide strip. Very well remembered !!

Best for you all!!

Ari
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 PM

(Some mods prefer new threads to old threads, but I think it's better to keep the discussion together.)

I have three 1400mm guide rails. One old plain one (black splinter strip)and 2 newer LR32 (clear splinter strip).

The old one slightly bowed measured as best I can with 1m steel rule as my best accurate straightedge and feeler gauges. I got 0.05mm bow in 1m at the actual guide, creating a concave cut. Worse at the back edge of the rail. Not sure how much this might be made worse by rail movement if unclamped/restrained. Two apparently straight rips laid face to face shows a gap in the middle.

The 2 newer rails appear dead straight. Not sure if this is due to the punching of the 32mm hole strip countering the bow or improved manufacturing tolerances.

The only information I have been able to find on tolerances are the general standards on aluminum extrusion straightness, which are not great at 0.0125" per foot.

I got some 100x25x2.5mm thick aluminum box extrusion to use as straightedge and it's really quite straight as far as I can tell - better than my thinnest feeler gauge over 3m.

Best way to make a straight guide rail join to register the 3m straightedge on the rail guide.