talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Default I ordered Hose Sleeve Material from Tool Nut

This will be the weave type sleeve material that Tool Nut sells by the foot. I also ordered from Mc-Master Carr some large diameter heat shrink to seal the ends of the sleeves once I fit them over two of my hoses.
I'll post pictures as soon as the sleeve material shows up from the East Coast. The heatshrink is already in my hands.
I plan to install the sleeves on my 36mm hose for 1/3 to 1/2 of it, and the remaining amount on my long 27mm hose[5meter version].
I should have done this years ago because the hose snag while sanding isn't fun to deal with.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I ordered Hose Sleeve Material from Tool Nut

What a cool idea! How about static buildup?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
What a cool idea! How about static buildup?
Other than one poster that I talked to on FOG, doesn't seem to be an issue Peter. He said static was a problem only when he first modified his hose. Then it went away and hasn't come back.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 AM

Installed the first sleeve on my 5 meter hose. Ran into a small problem, but came up with a repair.. Will post pictures tomorrow
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM

This is the hose sleeve and the fairly large heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink is not smooth, but is similar in appearance to ballistic nylon, the kind you see bags and totes made from. I went with this type of HS because I thought it would hold up well to rubbing/abrasion.
Mc-Master Carr lists it as durable, part number is 2587K16.
I bought 3 feet of it. The Pre-Shrink dimension for ID are 2.36", and 1.18" after fully treated. We only need to worry about 1 3/8" of the OD on our 27mm hose.
Attached Thumbnails
i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-hose-sleeve-103.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

With the Rotating Sleeve on the stock hose removed ,it's time to gently coax the hose sleeve material over the 27mm Festool Hose. Starting the sleeve is tricky, as it doesn't want to stay open to its max flexibilty at all. sort of like coaxing a larger snake to swallow a smaller one.
Also, it's hard to work the sleeve down the hose once you've actually got it started if you're trying to pull at the end. I found it's easier to get new sleeve material onto the end of the Festool hose, push it forward, and then work the bunched up material that is about a foot or two from the end back down the hose, instead of pulling at the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-hose-sleeve-105.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM

First heat shrink 'cuff' went well at the tool end of the hose[unable to get it to load here, as I keep getting an error message]
Second piece, well, disaster struck. My Master Appliance Heat Gun, which only really has two settings, Cold, and various degrees of Super HOT started to melt the Festool Hose since I let it linger a bit too long around the heat shrink at the middle of the hose.
Did not totally lose the hose, but it got weak and limp as the outer wrap suffered some loss of rigidity.
Time for a repair. Added 3 piece of Hardwood Dowels as a splint of sorts. Tape the dowels to the hose, and tested the hose for leaks with the vacuum, carefully plugging the tool end to see if the hose collasped.
No leaks, hose held, so I added yet another piece of heat shrink over the whole mess and REALLY watched how close I got the heat gun...
Attached Thumbnails
i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-hose-sleeve-107.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM

This is the completed assembly, not how I THOUGHT things would work out, but it DOES work as planned. Hose glides over things like edges and sharp corners with little noise, no grabbing, and no effect on static so far.
Attached Thumbnails
i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-hose-sleeve-108.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Talking Re: I ordered Hose Sleeve Material from Tool Nut

i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-003-.jpg

i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-005a.jpg

i-ordered-hose-sleeve-material-tool-006a.jpg
用這試驗是否能得到好的效果
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!