talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Will New Clear Splinter Guard Stick?

I've been doing some reading up on some new splinter guards, before I purchase. I'm reading that folks have had problems with the new, clear splinter guard not sticking to the rail. Is this still a problem? My rails all have the old, black flexible splinter guard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Will New Clear Splinter Guard Stick?

I can't even get the old black splinter guard to stick to the rail. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 AM

I also read that the new guard is harder than the old, so it tends to slide easier over wood...not good when you want the rail to stay in place.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 AM

I haven't used the festool replacements (I just buy a strip of rubber for peanuts at the home centre ). You have to be carful what you use to get the old gum off the rail. If you use a solvent, make sure it's been fully removed before putting the new strip on. I've just used a scraper or razor blade to remove the old gum, and it's been fine
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I can't even get the old black splinter guard to stick to the rail. Any suggestions?
Peter, have you tried various solvents?
I can ask Dan Hale or Brian S. from Festool about it
Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

I believe I tried mineral spirits (it's documented somewhere here on talkFestool). I think that Michael pointed out that mineral spirits has other potentially oily byproducts in it. So that might have been my problem.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Poto;84081]I believe I tried mineral spirits (it's documented somewhere here on talkFestool). I think that Michael pointed out that mineral spirits has other potentially oily byproducts in it. So that might have been my problem.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.[/QUOTE
Follow the mineral spirits with something that will clean it up and leave no oily residue . I'd use denatured alcohol first
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM

How about a product like "Goof Off?" It is made for the purpose of removing adhesive.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

Follow the mineral spirits with something that will clean it up and leave no oily residue . I'd use denatured alcohol first.
That's exactly how I've been doing it for years. Mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) is the best product for removing adhesive residue (also the cheapest) that I know of.

Being a petroleum distillate, mineral spirits does leave an oily residue of its own. A quick wipe with denatured alcohol easily takes care of that.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
That's exactly how I've been doing it for years. Mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) is the best product for removing adhesive residue (also the cheapest) that I know of.

Being a petroleum distillate, mineral spirits does leave an oily residue of its own. A quick wipe with denatured alcohol easily takes care of that.

Great minds think alike ....