Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Planex Release Date-March 1st-RWeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
That I can answer. I was lucky enough to borrow one for a few weeks. While I didn't use any at that time, I suspect Saphir is pretty groovy on cleaning off loose plaster, or taking all of the texture off of a ceiling before lunch, and it's 11:49 right now. There wasn't even a lot of sandpaper that came with the borrowing, so I went and used the Radius 360 sheets I had (and the dust collection was still good). I did strip a ceiling with it. It was darn slick.
If you've ever done patchwork and used the rotex, you just have to envision bigger, and like Jose, on a stick.
I wish I still had the whole writeup I did back then, but you know. Hard drives go fizzle now and then. We sometimes lose things.
Highlights I can recall -
I owned a Porter Cable. It was horrible. Everyone I know who has / had one has identical comments. Fickle. Hard to control. So-so on the dust. Heavy.
The planex was the opposite. Easy to control. Several pounds lighter, more ergonomic. The paper available for it makes it more versatile, as you said. Bril, Saphir...
I commented on Festools belief at the time that drywallers wouldn't want the tool. I said something to the effect of you're right. They won't. Not until someone or something within the industry demands it. Puts it in a contract. That's not your target audience. Remodelers are. Occupied structures are. Not the guy making $8 an hour who is used to having the run of the building when he's there because nobody else wants to be around.
Having used them both, I sold the Porter Cable. The planex ruined any hope I ever had for that thing still having a use to me. I would rather go back to a pole, or using the rotex (most of the drywall I get into tends to be repairs, in occupied homes) than to fart with the PC again.
I said I know you don't think there's a demand but there is. You'll be surprised how many idiots like me there are out there who would love to have it. And how many homeowners who, the minute they become aware that this is even an option - workers who can contain and manage the dust - will demand it. Will only hire someone who has it.
The other use I see, which goes with the idea of drywallers cleaning up (blasphemy) is all the spillage of the mud drips that hit the floor. There's your saphir again. Instant spot sander/vac combo for the subfloor. Trim carpenters everywhere will start dropping dead from walking into a house they don't have to clean in order to be able to set up.
Randy,

You will be glad to know that I my Planex and CT will be delivered next week. Based upon what you wrote and said about it several years ago, I was extremely excited when it was announced for March 1. Luckily? I have plenty of work on my walls and ceilings that this will be perfect for.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM

While I'm happy to add if someone has some specific question, most of what I can think of saying has already been said. There's a number of videos out there, some older, some newer, that do a good job of covering.

I do have mine. The only head scratcher at first was the 2 different bags, but I sorted that out. One is a standard CT36 bag, which I do not have. Both my other units are the older version. The second bag is the plastic liner, and even though I read that it "draped" over the sides, it was late, I was tired, and my bag was a sealed unit. Or so I thought. Turns out after decent sleep and some coffee, the sides were just stuck, much like any trash sack would do.

The autoclean function might startle you. It makes an audible noise. But it's not bad. First time you hear it you think you just dropped something and spend a second looking around the floor to see what it was. That this function is adjustable for frequency strikes me as a pretty neat feature to have included.

The little sliding tab on the head of the unit for where you want to extract from, the center or edge of the pad, is important. In design, the center is for light sanding, the edge is for heavier debris. But back when I demo'd the one and was kind of in a pinch for paper, I was using some Radius 360 sheets on the planex, at which point you'd want that lever to "outside" obviously, as there are no perforations at the center of those sheets.

I thought it was telling, and completely in line with my Nostradamus-like forecasting abilities, that when I picked mine up, someone was standing there, looked at it, got the sort of "really?" reaction, and I might have landed some work before I had the check written. Who knows.

At the moment, I predict that two enormous pizzas will be at my door soon. I think I should go investigate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 AM

So Fred,
The delay of the new entertainment center is because you were waiting for the the new Planex before changing out the drywall behind it?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
While I'm happy to add if someone has some specific question, most of what I can think of saying has already been said. There's a number of videos out there, some older, some newer, that do a good job of covering.

I do have mine. The only head scratcher at first was the 2 different bags, but I sorted that out. One is a standard CT36 bag, which I do not have. Both my other units are the older version. The second bag is the plastic liner, and even though I read that it "draped" over the sides, it was late, I was tired, and my bag was a sealed unit. Or so I thought. Turns out after decent sleep and some coffee, the sides were just stuck, much like any trash sack would do.

The autoclean function might startle you. It makes an audible noise. But it's not bad. First time you hear it you think you just dropped something and spend a second looking around the floor to see what it was. That this function is adjustable for frequency strikes me as a pretty neat feature to have included.

The little sliding tab on the head of the unit for where you want to extract from, the center or edge of the pad, is important. In design, the center is for light sanding, the edge is for heavier debris. But back when I demo'd the one and was kind of in a pinch for paper, I was using some Radius 360 sheets on the planex, at which point you'd want that lever to "outside" obviously, as there are no perforations at the center of those sheets.

I thought it was telling, and completely in line with my Nostradamus-like forecasting abilities, that when I picked mine up, someone was standing there, looked at it, got the sort of "really?" reaction, and I might have landed some work before I had the check written. Who knows.

At the moment, I predict that two enormous pizzas will be at my door soon. I think I should go investigate.
So - how'd that prognosticating go?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

So - how'd that prognosticating go?
Talk about lousy prognasticating, I figured Fred wouldn't even order a Planex, let alone get one before me. I should have known.

Looks like Festool U.S.A. drastically underestimated the demand for this new tool. The current supply is very limited and only guys with "influence" are able to take delivery.

Well, at least I still have some influence with MY pizza guy, there's the doorbell.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 AM

The pizza hit the spot. Sometimes, when you're really in the mood for something, man. It just works.
That's the buzz I heard John. Hits on the website were drastically more than they expected, initial orders were more, immediate "oh crap" phonecalls were made overseas, more started coming, but heck. That's not an overnight thing with customs. And, good for Festool at least, there's some branching out being done. I'm thrilled to see them certify the new units for RPP work, because now you introduce the whole paint crowd. With the planex, now we're involving drywallers as well.
In a way, it's great news. I think it bodes well for the industry as a whole to have it available. It will make the work quicker, better, cleaner. It just stunk to be sitting at the end of 3 years of whining about it and still have to wait another week.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Randy, even though I'm still stuck at the back of the line, it's nice to know that I have good friends important enough to be at the front.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM

Sorry ( sort of ) to be so lazy and not even bother to check, can I use an older CT with the Planex or is it designed for the new unit? Thanks for enabling me in my laziness
Tom
Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post

Sorry ( sort of ) to be so lazy and not even bother to check, can I use an older CT with the Planex or is it designed for the new unit? Thanks for enabling me in my laziness
Tom, due to the agressiveness of this sander and the amount of dust created, only the CT 36 AutoClean is recommended for use with it.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 AM

True. However, comma
Here's the issue. Caking. Or the propensity of gypsum dust to stick to the sidewalls of the existing bags sufficient as to limit suction.
Since the planex was designed to do drywall, the vac has to be designed to do drywall. All day long. And if that is what you are doing, then you would probably run into issues with the other extractors.
That being said, there are tons of people who have used their 22,33, 36 etc for the periodic drywall work that we all run into. A bathroom. Patchwork. Not high volume stuff. There, I honestly believe you'd be fine. I don't know what you do for a living. But if it's like me where you remodel, and maybe you did some drywall last week, but this week it's a deck, or a shed, or whatever, I think with occasional use you'd be ok.
When I had the one to borrow all I had for the vac was my 22 and I used the planex for about 3 weeks hooked to that. No issues. The other thing that might? play a role (I'm guessing a little here) is how gyp dust acts. Especially if that is all that is in the bag, and it is full. The bag area on a 33 is a lot smaller than the area in the bottom of the autoclean. And that bag is pretty well cornered in there. If it's full of gyp dust, and exposed to humidity for some extended period of storage, you can imagine how that might turn into a rock and make removing the bag something of a challenge. I think the design of the autoclean with the larger and more open debris area could easily have that thinking in the background.
That's just educated guesswork on my part. I don't know. But it seems reasonable to me.