talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Planex Release Date-March 1st-RWeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
That's really disappointing, Randy. I've been looking forward to your review of the Planex.

I've been thinking about ordering one for myself. Partly because it could be useful, but mostly because I'm pretty sure Fred will never get one.

Care to bet on that..
Neither would I...
At any rate, we're ALL HOPING the Planex gets to RWeber, soon.......
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post

... if you're saying they're not particularly good at keeping promises either, I think that would really surprise me. I've contemplated the JMP numerous times, just haven't jumped. Yet.
I think what BCT is particularly good at is not making too many promises.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:

If it shows up, I probably will share. I don't know how many people really care about a drywall sander, but it's a pretty slick unit.
I hope you do, I think it's slick enough to be interesting even to those who will never buy one.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 AM

I try not to do any sheetrock work at all anymore.... Fat chance of that really happening. Right now I'm in the the middle of a remodel at a friends house. 500 sq. ft of ceiling and some walls. Yeah, I'd like a review even though I don't plan on getting one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Here is a picture of the new Planex in a 'larger than mine' Maxi-Sys.
Does that make it a Maxi 2 version? The Planex Sys is wider and taller than the Maxi that I keep my Shinex in. And no, the Planex isn't mine.. UPDATE- My smaller Maxi Sys is supposedly the Maxi 2, and the currently offered Maxi 3 is the same sys that the Planex comes in, along with being offered as an empty Sys by Festool and Tanos. Tanos supposedly still sells the smaller unit that I have as well.
Attached Thumbnails
planex-release-date-march-1st-rweber-picture-156.jpg   planex-release-date-march-1st-rweber-picture-157.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 03-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 AM

A week after the release date, and the planex I ordered the DAY AFTER the info became available, still not here.
The first explanation was they didn't even know if it had shipped.
The second explanation was it shipped, but didn't know when.
You know, I love Festool as much as the rest of you, but this is one jacked up deal. The second time I called, I told my dealer if it hasn't shipped, tell them to piss off. But they claimed it had, and I'm not going to stick him.
I don't know what's changed, but I can't imagine I'm the only guy in this boat, and the PR from that isn't all warm and fuzzy.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
A week after the release date, and the planex I ordered the DAY AFTER the info became available, still not here.
The first explanation was they didn't even know if it had shipped.
The second explanation was it shipped, but didn't know when.
You know, I love Festool as much as the rest of you, but this is one jacked up deal. The second time I called, I told my dealer if it hasn't shipped, tell them to piss off. But they claimed it had, and I'm not going to stick him.
I don't know what's changed, but I can't imagine I'm the only guy in this boat, and the PR from that isn't all warm and fuzzy.
Sorry you're slow to get yours. The tool and the clothing outfit that go with the tool LOOK interesting. Nine inch pad, with serious abrasives available like Saphir instead of just Brilliant 2 like you'd expect for Drywall applications. Just what one attacks with 9 inches of spinning Saphir in a Very Coarse grit remains to be seen.
Just give us all the gory details once you do get it.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 AM

That I can answer. I was lucky enough to borrow one for a few weeks. While I didn't use any at that time, I suspect Saphir is pretty groovy on cleaning off loose plaster, or taking all of the texture off of a ceiling before lunch, and it's 11:49 right now. There wasn't even a lot of sandpaper that came with the borrowing, so I went and used the Radius 360 sheets I had (and the dust collection was still good). I did strip a ceiling with it. It was darn slick.
If you've ever done patchwork and used the rotex, you just have to envision bigger, and like Jose, on a stick.
I wish I still had the whole writeup I did back then, but you know. Hard drives go fizzle now and then. We sometimes lose things.
Highlights I can recall -
I owned a Porter Cable. It was horrible. Everyone I know who has / had one has identical comments. Fickle. Hard to control. So-so on the dust. Heavy.
The planex was the opposite. Easy to control. Several pounds lighter, more ergonomic. The paper available for it makes it more versatile, as you said. Bril, Saphir...
I commented on Festools belief at the time that drywallers wouldn't want the tool. I said something to the effect of you're right. They won't. Not until someone or something within the industry demands it. Puts it in a contract. That's not your target audience. Remodelers are. Occupied structures are. Not the guy making $8 an hour who is used to having the run of the building when he's there because nobody else wants to be around.
Having used them both, I sold the Porter Cable. The planex ruined any hope I ever had for that thing still having a use to me. I would rather go back to a pole, or using the rotex (most of the drywall I get into tends to be repairs, in occupied homes) than to fart with the PC again.
I said I know you don't think there's a demand but there is. You'll be surprised how many idiots like me there are out there who would love to have it. And how many homeowners who, the minute they become aware that this is even an option - workers who can contain and manage the dust - will demand it. Will only hire someone who has it.
The other use I see, which goes with the idea of drywallers cleaning up (blasphemy) is all the spillage of the mud drips that hit the floor. There's your saphir again. Instant spot sander/vac combo for the subfloor. Trim carpenters everywhere will start dropping dead from walking into a house they don't have to clean in order to be able to set up.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM

We have a PC at work and just about anything we build gets wallpapered with commercial vinyl wallpaper, so the finish is passable, I can't see painting after using it unless you went over the surface by hand after using the tool.

-Rutager
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Interesting on the Saphir.I voluntered using it on Plaster as a thought to my dealer while I was looking at the tool, forgot about textured ceilings/walls completely.
Lots of pieces to the tool, but it IS light once assembled.
The Auto Clean Vac is cool as well.