talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Re: First Festool: What's the Minimum Workable Setup for a TS55?

Wow...this ought to be good...lol
My 2 cents would be an MFT top,$125.00, I believe, (you can fabricate an acceptable base),and a set of Qwas dogs, they will allow you to cut 90 degree and 45 degree with ease and speed, and the vac. The rest will come to you.
Matt
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
Wow...this ought to be good...lol
My 2 cents would be an MFT top,$125.00, I believe, (you can fabricate an acceptable base),and a set of Qwas dogs, they will allow you to cut 90 degree and 45 degree with ease and speed
Hmmm... Now that is an interesting idea. That'd be worth integrating into a table big enough to break down 4x8 sheet goods.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 AM

I'd recommend you getting some kind of vac. You can use the saw without one and it's not going to affect the precision or quality of the cuts; but life is a LOT nicer without that dust getting everywhere. Easier on you, easier on clean-up, it's just easier.

And I'd buy that before the MFT, or the parallel edge guide, or the long rail.

Any size vac will work for you. Your choice really depends on how frequently you feel like changing bags.

You can cut just fine over some sawhorses, and joining two rails isn't some giant PITA as long as you have a decent straightedge or level. Leave a very slight gap between the rails so you don't introduce any curve in your cut due to a non-square rail end butting up against another.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have to agree with Steve Tappan's post above.

Also, I think you will like your choice of a FS1900 Guide Rail in addition to the FS1400 that comes with the saw -- the FS1900 is my favorite size rail. The only issue that you may not like is if you have to connect and disconnect the two rails a lot in your work -- that may make you desire yet another Guide Rail.

Many of us use a 4'x8' piece of pink foam (1" or 1-1/2" thick) under the sheet goods we are cutting. Place lengths of 2x over a pair of saw horses and top with the foam for an inexpensive cutting table.

A large sized carpenter's square (speed square) is helpful to align your Guide Rail perpendicular to your workpiece.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
I'm definitely looking at taking the ideas from the MFT and the various grid tables I've seen online and building something I can afford! There's some great ideas out there that really look like they're capable of saving a lot of hassle.

Guys, wood dust (other than Cocobolo, I suppose) is SO far down the list of toxic things in that shop already that it's hardly worth mentioning. I work with stuff so toxic that it can cause respiratory paralysis via skin exposure. Having to wear a respirator while working is no big deal. Long term, sure, I definitely want dust collection as it does make for a more pleasant working environment. However, functionality comes first. Then comes dust/fume collection for the more toxic things I work with. Wood is last on the list simply because it's the least toxic.

Remember, I'm a mechanic and this is a auto and metal shop, not a wood shop. The wood working equipment is to build stuff that I'll use to facilitate my other work, not an end unto itself.
This is all fine, but you'll save yourself a LOT of time if you do the dust collection when you make the cut, instead of vacuuming up all the sawdust later. Trust me - I speak from experience. Over the long run, you'll be really happy you got the vacuum to go with it. Just from an efficiency point of view, if nothing else. You don't want sawdust all over your nice machines, do you?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 AM

I vote for the dust extractor also, it was my step that started the SLIPPERY green slope.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I'd pile on for the dust extractor. You will use it with almost every future Festool purchase.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Another plus for the dust extractor is that Festool gives a price break if you buy a "package" of the saw+extractor or saw+mft. Whatever you do, its a good idea to buy soon because Festool usually (but not always) raises prices around April. You might also want to look on craigslist and the classified sections here and in festoolownersgroup.com. Look for the CT22, previous model of extractor that is more than ample for weekend warriors and is selling at a steep discount now.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to Garry

I'm also on board for dust extraction. I started with a 75 and a pair of rails. The amount of dust I cleaned up (wasn't too worried about inhalation either) was OBSCENE. Cleanup is my least favorite part of ANY job, so the dust extractor is my one Festool I wouldn't give up. At very least a good shop vac of some sort. Hose filling might be a problem though.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 AM

I would highly recommend a CT too...you can go to Festool TV on you-tube and see a video of the saw in action with and without DC to get an idea of the amount of dust and chips this tool can produce. Well worth it IMHO and you can get a small price break buying the combination.

Scot