talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 PM
MichaelKellough's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Posts: 4,525
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That's really cool, Rick. Thanks so much for posting.

I always wondered what the EC-TEC electronics were doing in my tools - the saw in particular. That must be the "grating" sound you sometimes hear.
The grating sound is from the teeth on the gears crashing back and forth as the speed control rapidly starts and stops the motor until it gets up to speed. There might still be a mild grating sound otherwise. Maybe start it without the blade installed.

I think the slow start speed controls on routers are similar but since there aren't any gears involved the ramp up is relatively quiet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
MichaelKellough's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Posts: 4,525
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishle View Post
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I found this on amazon a "Sunforce 11260 2500-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter"

These have sure come down in price since the last time I looked at them.

The inverter that I have is a modified square wave thats huge compared to the link above.

I think I need one with a 20 amp outlet or a hard wire so I will keep looking. But maybe get the Sunforce for our computers and printers.

So today I went back and used an old shopvac with the ts55 and did not have any problems. Everything ran smooth so I was pretty happy with that.

So at least I got done what I wanted but It sure would have been nice to be able to set up the kapex.
You can use the ShopVac with the Kapex too. Get a foot switch to start it up in advance of starting the saw.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 907
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
The grating sound is from the teeth on the gears crashing back and forth as the speed control rapidly starts and stops the motor until it gets up to speed. There might still be a mild grating sound otherwise. Maybe start it without the blade installed.

I think the slow start speed controls on routers are similar but since there aren't any gears involved the ramp up is relatively quiet.
It's not just about getting it up to speed. That's just when it is more noticeable because the PWM is off for more of the sine wave's cycle and the inertia of the blade is less constant.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 PM
MichaelKellough's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Posts: 4,525
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
It's not just about getting it up to speed. That's just when it is more noticeable because the PWM is off for more of the sine wave's cycle and the inertia of the blade is less constant.
Agree, about the noticeable part anyway, and I'll take your word for it about sine waves.

When making a cut I try to push the saw just hard enough to keep the controller from cutting the speed because whenever the growling starts the smoothness of the cut decreases.

It's still my pet peeve with the saw. I wish there was full speed mode that would allow the blade to run smoothly without unnecessary (PCM induced) vibration so I could feed slowly for the ultimate smooth cut.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Okami's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,725
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Agree, about the noticeable part anyway, and I'll take your word for it about sine waves.

When making a cut I try to push the saw just hard enough to keep the controller from cutting the speed because whenever the growling starts the smoothness of the cut decreases.

It's still my pet peeve with the saw. I wish there was full speed mode that would allow the blade to run smoothly without unnecessary (PCM induced) vibration so I could feed slowly for the ultimate smooth cut.
I agree. It makes me wonder whether these saws were acually designed to cut solid hard wood or just ply. The electronics kick in every time, causing vibration while cutting solid woods, regardless of blade used.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
MichaelKellough's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Posts: 4,525
Default Re: Inverter on ct33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I agree. It makes me wonder whether these saws were acually designed to cut solid hard wood or just ply. The electronics kick in every time, causing vibration while cutting solid woods, regardless of blade used.
I keep a small Freud bladea small Freud blade on my ATF 55 and only use it for ripping of 26mm and under stock, because it's only 4-3/8" in diameter. So, no bevel cuts except in plywood.

It brings a few benefits, besides cutting very smoothly. I wouldn't mention it if it didn't cut very well. I tried a few other similar blades and even one that seemed better on paper they were only fair to horrible in comparison.

First, the kerf is a scant 1/16" so it wastes less wood and requites less power so it can rip solid wood and leaves a very smooth finish without burning.
Second, the narrow kerf matches the blades I use in my jigsaws so it's easier to complete inside corners on pocket cuts.
Third, the thin body is more flexible than the stock Festool blades so when the speed control tries to slow down the saw less of the resulting vibration is transferred to the teeth, so the cut is still smooth.
Fourth, it's cheap.
Fifth, the small diameter means the plunge increments are finer. That is, you can set plunge depth in finer than 1mm increments because the blade is much smaller than the scale was designed for. he downside is that you have to re-discover the appropriate setting for the thickness of the material.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ct33, inverter, kapex, ts55

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 AM.