talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Sheetrock sander?

Just finished up redoing a bunch of sheetrock. The texture guy got a little heavy handed (for my taste), so it looks like we need to knock it down a bit. I seem to remember that Festool was making something for sheetrock. Anybody remember where the thread was? Is this something available to the US? Or do I just need to bite the dust bullet and do it the old-fashioned way?

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Sheetrock sander?

Planex. NAINA, as far as I know.

http://www.festool.co.uk/Products/Pa...ol_planex_5536
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Planex. NAINA, as far as I know.

Long-reach sander PLANEX
Mike,

I think that Randy had one at one point. I do not know if he still does or not but if he does, I would hire Randy to come out and take care of it for you. I hate the dust from sheetrock.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I think Randy just really really wanted one.

Porter Cable Drywall Sander
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I think Randy just really really wanted one.

Porter Cable Drywall Sander
Michael,

You could be right but for some reason I think he was using one or had one. Hopefully Randy will step in here and answer.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Shane has written that maybe the Planex will be here late in the year. You could always use one of the other Festool sanders. That is what I did last year.

Peter
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
Shane has written that maybe the Planex will be here late in the year. You could always use one of the other Festool sanders. That is what I did last year.

Peter
I'm with Peter, get out your trusty Festool sander and you'll be fine.

BTW, I believe Randy borrowed a Planex for a short time. Sadly, the Planex is one tool I haven't gotten to see.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 AM

One thing I forgot to mention, if you use a Festool dust extractor with your sander for drywall, check your bag often. The fine sheetrock dust clogs the pores in the bag which can cause the bag to inflate and come loose from the connector. Then you have the filters full of dust.

If this happens and you want to clean your filters, do not use high pressure air which can damage the filters. Use high volume low pressure air - I use a cheap electric leaf blower - to clean up the mess.

Two more cents worth.

Peter
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 AM

Yes, I got to borrow it for a few weeks. It was awesome. Stellar. Heavenly. Need I say more? I still want one. I have bugged enough people enough times, I don't think anyone related to Festool doesn't cringe when they see my number on their caller i.d. (sigh)
But I had to give it back. I have looked into getting it from elsewhere, but it's not only a hurdle with the dealer agreements, the dollar vs GBP stinks, and I'd take a bath. A really, really, big one. I also heard the rumor that maybe later this year, and all I have to say is, if that happens, I'm in. I am so in.
I used to own the PC. I bought it for a song from a guy who used it for a few hours and wanted to dumpster it in frustration. Now that I've owned it . . . can't say I disagree all that much. Heavy, awkward, fickle. Tiny little finesse movements are the difference between sanding excess and gouging great big holes in the wall with that thing.
The planex, pretty much every good thing you've ever thought about a Festool sander, on a stick. Where's Jeff Dunham?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 PM

If you want to get it done before the Planex hits the shore, take a look at this.

Amazon.com: Radius 360 Drywall Sander: Home Improvement

Yeah, it's not dustless, but I prefer to use it instead of my Festool sanders. Maybe that changes now that I've got an RTS400, but if you've got anything larger than a patch to do, give it a whirl. MUCH faster on a whole room than something smaller, and I think it gives a better finish.

It's got a nice bumper on the leading edge so you don't gouge the opposing wall/ceiling, and it it pretty hard to flip it accidentally.

I got mine at the local Sherwin-Williams store, but obviously Amazon has it, too. Started using it in the middle of my most recent drywall episode and wished I'd started with it.