talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 AM

Default ct-midi or ct-26? Any thoughts?

I'm trying to figure out what ct to buy. I do out door construction so I never really cared about dust collection. Over this winter I started doing some interior work. Anyhow to make a long story short I bought a C-12 because my Ridged 24v drills were to clunky, and heavy. Now I find myself daydreaming about what Festool I'll get to buy next. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. So I have a TS-75, a C-12, and my pride and joy, my Kapex with UG-stand. Everyone I know thought I was crazy when I was talking about buying it, but they all, well most of them get it now. Anyhow I'm looking to get the RO-90 and I think its time for a CT so Midi or 26 are the ones that I'm trying to pick from. I have watched a ton of demos but am having a hard time deciding. Price is not something that's going to leverage me either way. I mean really what's another $100. Thanks for your time, and sorry for telling the same story that I'm sure you have herd many times.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Re: ct-midi or ct-26? Any thoughts?

I had the same decision to make, for many of the same reasons as you. I went with the 26 mainly because of the HEPA capability.

Are there times when I wish I had the smaller one? Sure. But it's really been fine on almost any occasion. The handle (the one you need for the boom arm) helps out to make life a bit easier.

If you are really moving room to room on inside trim (that's new work), maybe look hard at the Midi. But if you are going to pick a room and stay there for the duration, just get the bigger one. Likewise if your work requires RRP compliance. Yeah, I know it's not 'officially' compliant, but still I'd feel a lot more comfy sucking up nasty dust with the HEPA than without.

I drag mine outside most of the time, too. There are a few times when I'm too lazy to do so, and then I regret it when I remember how much I appreciate not having to clean up.

Now, how about a review of that Kapex stand and extensions?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks for your input. As for as the Kapex and stand... WOW. Before I get the Kapex I had the Hitachi 12" dual compound glider with laser and digital readout. This this was huge, and heavy. It said it weighs a little over 60 lbs but I think it's more like 80 lbs. I had it for about 6 months before I found out that the kapex could cut a 4x4 in one cut. After that I hated the thing. I got lucky and pawned it off to a friend who thought is was "bad ass".When I first got the kapex I couldn't afford the stand right away so I was going to keep my $150 pile I was calling a miter stand, I threw it in with the Hitachi. I was thinking no way am I putting this on there. Anyhow I sold the Hitachi and bought the UG. The youtube demos don't even do it justice. Like they show you can literally get on it and walk from one end to the other. The best thing, out of all of the very cool things is you can set a stop and trust it without having to worry about bumping it or pushing to hard. So anyhow the stand itself at $800, seems like a lot to spend on a stand, I agree. The way I look at it is, having a tool this good, and this mobile is priceless. I haven't seen a saw or stand that even come close. I mean really it make all the other ones flat out look bad. I could go on and on if you want. My girlfriend is sick of hearing about I'm sure. Anyhow let me know if you have any other questions. If you need someone to tell you it's worth it, then here it is. It is hands down the the most well spent money I have ever spend. In fact if I could afford it I would buy another one.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 AM

I have the CT Mini and CT 26. I prefer to take the Mini to most jobs since it's so light weight and easy to carry but..... The 26 is still plenty light weight enough to take to the job everyday. If I could only have one it would be the 26, not so much for the HEPA filter but for the extra capacity.

If you are doing RRP work and you're leaning towards the Midi that isn't a problem because a HEPA filter is available as an accessory. Also, later this year all Mini and Midi vacs will come with the HEPA filter and self cleaning bags.