talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM

Default Festool parts not available from FestoolUSA

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but it never stopped me before.

Is there any way, short of a trip to Dusseldorf, to get Festool parts that are not listed with FestoolUSA?

For instance, I was interested in buying 2 meter side profiles for the MFT, perhaps making up a large MFT - Festool Germany - International Website - Tools for the toughest demands

shows up in Germany, but FestoolUSA says simply, nope, we don't sell it.

If someone really wanted a Festool part not sold by FestoolUSA, is there a way to buy it in the US (not sure that is the case for me here, but I was curious)?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Festool parts not available from FestoolUSA

I've heard of others looking for those long profiles for the MFT/3 but I don't believe Festool of Germany listed those before. It might have been added recently and Festool USA might have them in 6-12 months. It would be a shame to spend lots of time and money on shipping for something that might be here shortly.

With that said, I don't think any European dealer will talk with you but it never hurts to try. It's my understanding dealers are not allowed to sell outside of their country.

So your best option is to find a foreign Festool user and see if you can convince them to buy it and ship to you. It might help to have something they might want so you can swap, or barter. Qwas Products are not sold in Europe so that might be you can exchange for the profiles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

If it is any consolation, I've tried many times to order the Plug-It pigtails from international dealers and they either don't reply or send back a form email stating they are prohibited to sell those outside their country.

But, what is weird, is I contacted a dealer about some driver bit packs that aren't available here and I was quoted shipping to my door. Same dealer said no for the pigtails, though.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but it never stopped me before.
Well, I'm in good company then!
In which case I'll step right up and ask MY stupid question for the day:

About those Plug-It pigtails we can't get 'cuz they're NAINA....
Wouldn't something like that be relatively simple to make?

(assuming,
that is, the person doing it knew what s/he was doing)
(and further assuming said person had something better than chewing gum and baling wire to hold it all together....)

But seriously, WOULDN'T it be doable (and even fairly straightforward)?
Presumably it would void any warranty on the tool, although....
I suspect installing the ready made Plug-It pigtail (even in countries where you CAN buy it) might have the same effect.

<sits back down and demurely waits for somebody like Rick to clarify WHY this was a stupid question...>
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Never a dumb question.

Yes, it is very easy to make and not too big of a deal.

Making them and selling is completely different. Patents could be applied, safety issues could arise. The person selling the pigtail can be held liable. At the very least, the seller is violating the UL approval of the tool and I would imagine Festool would not be happy with the seller. The buyer will not be too happy when the tool breaks from something else and Festool refuses to repair it.Festool can not repair the tool and allow a "non-UL Approved" tool to go out the door, they could lose all UL approvals.

Another worst case scenario, the customer installs the pigtail wrong. He also did his own shop wiring. He burns up the pigtail and power cord. He scream and complains to everyone about your lousy product, poor instructions, etc... Sellers business and reputation goes down the tube, or goes up in a puff of smoke.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Why not turn the Plug-it pigtail dilemma on its ear and run a standard extension cord down the hose so you have a standard female receptacle to plug into [maybe I should have worded that differently] -- you would reduce the cord of non-Plug-it tools to a pigtail length, and make a Plug-it pigtail or two from all those extra Plug-it cords for your Plug-it tools. Can I say Plug-it just one more time? Plug-it.

If I ever get around to using a hose wrap to encapsulate the cord with the hose, I just might do this. Maybe.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
But seriously, WOULDN'T it be doable (and even fairly straightforward)?
Presumably it would void any warranty on the tool, although....
I suspect installing the ready made Plug-It pigtail (even in countries where you CAN buy it) might have the same effect.

<sits back down and demurely waits for somebody like Rick to clarify WHY this was a stupid question...>
Because we live in a very litigious country. That's all.

Installing a plug-it adapter is electrical, and the word electrical scares the lawyers.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I've considered experimenting to make the housing for the Plug-It female end (don't touch that). It isn't complicated at all for the wiring. Actually, after trying to take my Trion jigsaw apart one day, I can say that installing the Plug-It retrofit kit would be the easiest part with the opening of the tool the most challenging.

Maybe I'll consider trying to make one real-soon-now. I'll blog about it so you can make your own if you like (er, if I'm successful).

I just started a new job and one of my teammates is German and left this week for Germany on vacation. Had I known him for a couple months, I would have explained this female end problem and I think he would have gladly ordered some online to be delivered to his apartment in Germany; he could carry them back. But I felt a little silly asking that 5 days after meeting him If he gets CARE packages from Germany from friends, maybe I can hook up getting some female ends sent to me. Those will make me smile.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Or (expanding on Corwin's idea)... maybe he could get you one of THESE:

Saugschlauch plug it D 27 - plug it D 27x3,5m-AS
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

Or (expanding on Corwin's idea)... maybe he could get you one of THESE ...
That a very nice saugschlauch setup, I assume also NAINA?