talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Founding Member

Default Festool Carvex Promo Video

A fellow posted this new promo vid on FOG: . It give you some idea of how the strobe light works.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Festool Carvex Promo Video

I like some of those accessories, do you think they will work on a Triton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 PM

Very interesting to see that they are NOT using the dust collection in the video! Is it that bad or did they just simply forgot?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Founding Member

Andreas,

It's difficult to understand some of the subtle points in the video because I don't speak German. (Uhmmm... Do you know anyone who speaks German and would be willing to do a little translation? ) However...

I think the purpose of the video is to promote the handling ease you get with the Battery model. If you attach a hose, that reduces your maneuverability tremendously.

I think the dust collection will be pretty good because of the sliding dust shield and the dust collection port. In the pic below, notice that the dust shield is down.

In the video, it's up most of the time until the video hits about 1:20. Then it's down. At the 1:25 mark, notice that they are using a corded model with the shield down to demonstrate dust collection. Also, I think that the strobe may make a big difference in visibility. The perceived downside is that it also lights up the flying wood chips making them more visible in the video.

Notice that the dust collection appears to be a simple, BIG tube. That's a lot different from the current Trion which has DC through the base plate. I like my D-handle Trion, but dust clogs up those tiny holes on mine. I suspect that DC is much better on the new one.

Besides the new base plates, battery and strobe, I think the sliding dust shield and big (and removable) DC tube will make a big difference. If you don't care about DC, need max visibility, and want maneuvrability, then slide the dust shield up and remove the DC tube. Care about DC and visibility is less important? Slide the shield down and add a CT hose.

IMO, this design could give the best of all worlds. That said, I definitely want to handle the barrel battery model before I buy. It looks very comfortable, but I'm not sure about balance. Also, the barrel battery model looks long compared to the other models.

More pics below.

Regards,

Dan.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post
I like some of those accessories, do you think they will work on a Triton
Jay,

I'm speculating, but I seriously doubt it. I think the base plates are a complete redesign.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Founding Member

Default A fascinating tidbit

From our friends on FOG...

It looks like the new Festool tools just on the Festool German website: Produktübersicht.

From the site, I found the new brochure for the Carvex: http://www.festool.de/SiteCollection..._carvex_de.pdf. One little tidbit that I found from the brochure was the EC-TEC brushless motor. Maybe it's already known, but if you missed it as I did, here's the English translation from the brochure:
Quote:
More power, less power consumption. The brushless EC-TEC engine and the new transmission concept developed to bring more than 80% of the absorbed power to the blade. For fast sawing progress in any material.
Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 AM

That does look like a nice jigsaw!
I hardly ever use a jigsaw in the work I do, so it's doubtful I'll be going for it though. If I was in the market for one, this would be worth a serious look.

I currently own a Bosch Jigsaw, it's a very nice tool to use, when I rarely use it.
Cheers!
Okami
Old 04-02-2010, 05:42 AM

Sliding dust shield, large opening DC tube, strobe........... looks like they have improved everything that was not quite there yet on Trion. Typical Festool ................. excellent. I can't wait.

I think the balance on the battery models will be fine. The lithium batteries should be pretty light.

As to the length. I bet the stiff portion of the Plug-It cord connection makes the length about the same as the length of the battery version.
Never mind I just watched the video. That flip up Plug-It is a cool idea. I think it will be a tough choice-- battery or corded.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 04-02-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Dan, do you have the USA release date for the new tool? I just talked to my local dealer, he didn't know it was even coming out, but was interested to know more about it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

The base plates are Fast Fix. After you finish a bevel cut you just pop off the bevel plate and snap on the 90. You know what a pain it is to get the ordinary combo base set back to 90? Not a problem with the Carvex.

Tags
carvex jigsaw