talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 AM

Default what festool to buy floor sanding and finishing

I need a vacuum and sander for sanding and finishing hardwood floors. Specifically Brazilian cherry (jatoba). The floor cannot have any dust or it will look like crap. A few years ago i saw a company using the festool to do the finish sanding with the dust extraction (vacuum attached)

What would you recommend I purchase in order to have a complete setup? I know i need the dust extractor and i donít have a problem getting the 33 if that is the best. I know I will need a sander or two, donít know which ones. i know I will need vacuum attachments for going back over the floor but donít know what I will need for this.

Fundamentally I like to buy the best tools and I know they cost more but that has worked for me.

Please help

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 AM

Default Re: what festool to buy floor sanding and finishing

Hi welcome to talkFestool,

Will you be stripping or just sanding new floor?

Others who have done floors (I have not) here will jump in. I am thinking that the ROTEX RO150 will be recommended for the bulk of the work. With Deltex for the tight spots.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On the vacs-

All of the Festool vacs have more than enough suction for sanding. In fact you will need to turn it down for best results.

Mini and Midi are the same except for bag capacity. CT22 and CT33 are the same except bag capacity.

The Mini and Midi do not currently have HEPA available and that could be important for floor sanding. Though they are very convenient to carry around.

The CT22 and 33 have HEPA fliters and may be a better choice if you plant to add a router or power plane to your tool line up.

The Festool cleaning attachments are very nice. Good quality , even the plastic ones.

Here are a couple links to cleaning set reviews-

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/festoo...aning-set.html

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/festoo...aning-set.html

This might be helpful too depending on what you are doing- Rotex for floor refinishing

Seth
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 AM

I would go with the RO150, the Deltex and a CT33.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

I have to say that the thought of sanding a whole floor with the RO150 is pretty daunting to me. Aren't there big sanders especially designed for that sort of thing? I guess the problem is the dust collection. Could you really get a floor flat with a Rotex?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 AM

I wouldnt want to sand a floor with a rotex either. I think the dust collection on floor sanders is pretty good for the higher end models. Maybe festool need to come up with a floor sander "the Rotex 900".
Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

I love my RO150, but I would echo Poto's thought that sanding a whole floor with it seems daunting. That's a big job to do on your knees - not only is it only a 6" diameter plate, you really have to pay attention to keep it flat. Here's a detailed review from somebody who did a VERY SMALL floor with the RO 150:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/docs/reviews..._review_ms.pdf

Frankly, if it were me and the floor was anything but TINY, I'd want to consider a dedicated floor sander instead. Especially when I think about how many times you have to go over it....

The CT is AWESOME, by the way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 AM

I did 10x12 room of American Cherry with the RO150. I used the DTS400 for the corners and edges. I have both a CT Mini and CT22. I started with the Mini half expecting to have to switch to the 22 but the Mini work well enough. I would suggest that if you don't have either get the 22 - you will want it later anyway. I don't think I would take on a larger room though - too hard on the back and knees.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Don't do large room with a small sander, it's not worth it. Over 20 years ago I did two rooms with little left an old finish, using belt sanders. At least they were old Porter Cable quality. But not only was it back breaking stupid, it took far too long, and the results were decent at best.

Since then over the years I've rented the drum sanders like thislike this four times. Something said for the fact that they are specifically made for the job. Also rent the disc sander for along the edges (of course remove the 1/4 round moulding before starting the entire job). This large floor sander provides excellent results, its time efficient, and it has decent removal of dust.

One job was a brand new red oak floor. Just to show the difference in machines, the floor drum sander also levels the floor evenly. There's no way you could level an entire new floor evenly using a Festool RO150.

For less wood/finish removal, and probably better dust pickup, use the orbital floor sanders like thislike this . I saw one of these types (don't remember the brand) on This Old House or something, and the floor finisher guy bragged about how great the dust removal was. He's a pro, doing it every day, and obviously knows more than any of us.

Regarding the dust, it's not just the sander that matters for a job like this, it's the prep and clean up. Seal the windows and ducts. Then after the job is over, vacuum the floor a few times, and then damp mop it too. Even the Festool vacuum won't get all the dust, as you'll find out if you mop it afterwards. Otherwise, use a bunch of tack cloths to get the remaining dust.

And wear a good quality dust mask, no matter which method you choose. Even the best Festool sander will leave dust in the air, when you're leaning over it busting your butt for a few (many) hours, sweating and breathing heavy. I only wish I bought the best dust masks when I was young. Like everything else, it took too many years to learn.

Then just as important as the sanding is the finish. You don't have to sand to 220 grit, because after the floor finish goes on, no one would be able to tell the difference. I've used water based, but for floors I still think that the oil based poly is the best. The oil just gives the wood a great even color, and urethane is more durable than the water based. You'll just have to deal with the smell. However, oil based also requires a mechanical bound that the water based doesn't. Fine sand in between coats and clean up the dust. This ensures good adhesion of the next coat.

For what it's worth, I own both the Festool RO150 sander and the CT33 vacuum, and a few other quality power sanders and vacuums too. And I would still go out and rent the right floor sander in an instant if I have to refinish another floor. But if I really had no choice, then I'd use my old Bosch 1276DVS 4x24 belt sander, which also has very good dust collection, and just do the edging with the Festool RO150 sander.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM

the floor material is 3/8" thick so no belt sanding. the floor also has grooves in it that require you to pay attention so you dont sand them down to much.
The method i have seen work is a plate or orbital sander first, real quick and then the festool between coats with 220 grit.

it is more work, but results were amazing.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeeler View Post
the floor material is 3/8" thick so no belt sanding. the floor also has grooves in it that require you to pay attention so you dont sand them down to much.
The method i have seen work is a plate or orbital sander first, real quick and then the festool between coats with 220 grit.

it is more work, but results were amazing.
Then use the orbital floor sander with a fine grit. The new ones have very good dust collection. Another real gentle floor sander I've heard is the one with a large rectangle pad. They used to have them at Lowes or HD, next to the Varathane floor finish display. They're for homeowners, because they are tough to screw up, like a sanding drum which takes some technique to avoid gouging the floor. The large pad type sanders are not aggressive at all, and you can start with a fine grit. Hopefully you don't have too much finish to remove.

Tags
finishing, floor, harwood, sanding