talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 AM

Default TS 55 dead

TS 55 just stopped - dead - cold - in the middle of work. I bought it in 2008.

Is there like a hidden auto shutoff or fuse or something?

Last thing I did - - reached the end of the cut, let go of the switch, then I wasn't sure I was ALL the way to the end so my trigger finger kind of re-grabbed and let go and re-grabbed a bit , and the saw just quit.

I tested the same power cord on another Festool - -the power source is fine. It's the saw. Dead.

Crossposted at Festool Owners Group - - I hope crossposting is not a breach of etiquette?

Festool advertises a support tel# 800 554 8741 but it says "that mailbox is not active" - - ugh. They haven't gone out of business, have they?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 AM

Default Re: TS 55 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwitthoft View Post

Last thing I did - - reached the end of the cut, let go of the switch, then I wasn't sure I was ALL the way to the end so my trigger finger kind of re-grabbed and let go and re-grabbed a bit , and the saw just quit.

I tested the same power cord on another Festool - -the power source is fine. It's the saw. Dead.

Crossposted at Festool Owners Group - - I hope crossposting is not a breach of etiquette?

Festool advertises a support tel# 800 554 8741 but it says "that mailbox is not active" - - ugh. They haven't gone out of business, have they?
The TS saws have a electronics to prevent overheating that will shut the saw off. Sure work again after it's cooled down. No, Festool hasn't gone out of the business, the service dept. operates with normal business hours (assuming you called after hours). If it doesn't work after cooling try them again.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:

If for some weird reason that number doesn't work during normal business hours, Shane has his # in his signature at FOG.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 AM

Hi,

I am curious what you were cutting and with which blade? I have had mine shut down due to overheating. It usually comes back to life in a few minutes.

The older ATF55 had a set of lights to indicate that it was overheating and let you know when it was shutting down due to that.

Seth
Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

I've had my ATF55 stop during a long rip. I've just had to wait a few minutes, and it'll start up again. It was pretty scary the first time. Not to mention that the blade got stuck in the kerf...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Not at all! We have a "symbiotic" relationship with the FOG.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 AM

I too have had my TS55 shut down while ripping solid wood.
It did come back to life within five minutes
Cheers!
Okami
Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
I am curious what you were cutting and with which blade?
Ripping 1x8 pine with the blade included with the original purchase. (I'm a light/intermittent user so after 1 year the blade is pretty fresh)
Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Founding Member

mwitthoft, your second post is about 8 hours later. You didn't mention the TS coming back to life. Has it? or is it still silent?

Ned
Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Ripping 1x8 pine with the blade included with the original purchase. (I'm a light/intermittent user so after 1 year the blade is pretty fresh)

Hmmmm, even though that blade (Fine) is really designed as a cross cut / sheet goods blade it should be able to handle 1x pine without much trouble. Unless maybe you were doing a lot of it quickly.

Seth

Tags
problem, shutdown, shutoff, troubleshooting