talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Founding Member

Default Accurately, repeatedly setting the bevel on Festool saws.

OK, the thread title doesn't describe the content of this post, it describes what I hope will be in the thread in the following posts.

Anyone find himself repeatedly setting the same bevel angles? Any tips on how to do it?

I could see using the Lee Valley Poly-Gauge, especially if you replace the brass knob with something to hold the gauge at right angles to the blade. This would have the limitation of only offering certain settings.

Any better, simpler, cheaper ways to do it?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Accurately, repeatedly setting the bevel on Festool saws.

I've not had to set any angles other than 90 and 45. I do that by pushing the blade all the way down while holding the saw upside down (blade up). I then use a smallish Japanese "square" that has both 90 and 45 degrees on it, as well as a wide flat base that can sit on the saw base. I then line up the edge of the "square" with the blade so that it falls between the teeth, and adjust the angle until I can't see light between the square and the blade. Then tighten the knobs.

Sometimes it helps to use a clamp to keep the saw blade plunged, so that you have enough hands. It's a tricky maneuver.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Founding Member

I didn't go down into the shop before I wrote the head post.

There's one problem with the Poly-Gauge approach--that tool is on the wrong side of the blade for the saw. The Poly-Gauge sets a named angle by setting the blade against the supplementary angle (180 - named angle). There isn't enough of the saw base on that side to be reliable for checking the angle.

So that won't work. I need gauges that use the named angle.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

That's what I have and I used it to set weird angles for this

but now I'd seriously consider getting the Beall Tilt Box instead because it reads to 1/10.5th (not a typo!) degree and it uses an ordinary 9v battery instead of those tiny buttons. Here is a review.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-19-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

But Michael - the thread is about Festool saws. You'd have to clamp the saw onto something so that it couldn't tilt while you're adjusting it to use that gauge on the blade. You need something that you can rest on the saw base and lean the blade into.

Perhaps you should make a set of common angles out of baltic ply or something, Ned. That is, if you're doing anything other than 90 or 45. This Japanese-Style Layout Squares - Lee Valley Tools is the square that I was talking about above...
Old 09-19-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
But Michael - the thread is about Festool saws. You'd have to clamp the saw onto something so that it couldn't tilt while you're adjusting it to use that gauge on the blade. You need something that you can rest on the saw base and lean the blade into.

Perhaps you should make a set of common angles out of baltic ply or something, Ned. That is, if you're doing anything other than 90 or 45. This Japanese-Style Layout Squares - Lee Valley Tools is the square that I was talking about above...
Yep. I used it on my slightly modified ATF-55. Clamped a slab of granite to my bench so I'd have a reliable reference and clamped the saw's base to the slab. The bevel clamps on the ATF leave a lot to be desired. If I had to do that again I'd use a TS saw.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-19-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

I get it. I've found it easy enough to do upside down, though it took some wrangling initially.

Your way makes a bit more sense.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Perhaps you should make a set of common angles out of baltic ply or something, Ned.
I'm sort of inclined to make a set of wedges as you suggest. Get it? Inclined? Wedges? Never mind...
Old 09-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

So here's the sad thing: I wouldn't have got it if you hadn't pointed it out. I think I'm immune to puns after growing up with my father, and having a close colleague who pretty much speaks in puns. Sigh.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
I'm sort of inclined to make a set of wedges as you suggest. Get it? Inclined? Wedges? Never mind...
Doesn't this belong in the Thread thread?