talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default VAC Hose End Adapter

I just installed a boom arm on my CT33 vac & routed the D36 hose through the brackets. The 36mm hose will work just fine for my TS55 saw & OF1400 router but I don't seem to have an adapter to hook the D36 hose up to the Domino or RO150 sander. What is the Festool adapter P/N that I need (36mm hose to Domino/sander)?

I could zip tie the 27mm hose along side the 36mm hose up the boom but that seems sort of pointless overkill to have (2) hoses on the boom. I'm sure Festool must sell the adapter that I need.

Thanks,
Ron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Default Re: VAC Hose End Adapter

I'm not sure but I don't think there is an adapter. I believe Eiji cut the end off a D27 hose to to use as an adapter. This is why I decided to keep the D27 on the boom arm and attach D36 with velcro when I need it.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Founding Member

You can make a "Dave Ronyak Adapter" fairly easily. (I got this idea from Dave Ronyak at Festool Training. ) It took me about 15 minutes to make it.

You need to sacrifice about 15-17" of a D27 hose and buy two Hose Sleeve, Reducing Sleeve For D 27 Hose. The process:

1) Cut off the D27 hose about 15-17"" from the small end (not the CT22 end). Make sure you leave enough length for flexibility.

2) Attach one Hose Sleeve to the end of your (now shortened) D27 hose.

3) Attach the other Hose Sleeve to the end of your new adapter.

Here's a pic of the adapter:

It takes only a second to shove one end of the adapter into the end of your D36 hose and attach the other to your tool's dust port:

Make sure you push the adapter all the way into the end of the D36:

This solution is simple, elegant, and relatively cheap. The seal is essentially perfect. It gives you the best of both worlds - D36 for sucking up the big stuff and D27 for fitting to tools that require it. And it's easy to switch between the two.

Regards,

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 05-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Thanks, that sounds like a pretty fine solution. I especially like it since I don't need to worry about the transition point (D27 to D36) catching on edges -- the "traveling" tools such as saws & routers will be hooked directly to the D36 hose and the "non-traveling" Domino will be hooked with the extension. I suppose there could be some issue with the sander catching at the extension edge but that should be easy to avoid by positioning.
I thought about going the whole way with two hoses but I like this idea better.

Ron
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

While I like the solution in Dan's post, you may still want to connect your D27 hose at times -- like when sanding. Rather than zip tie a second hose to your Boom Arm, why not simply attach the second hose with rubber bands. Yep, it is easy to quickly add that other hose by hooking rubber bands from the cord clips on one side, around the added hose and then hooked on the cord clips on the other side. Couldn't get any easier.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Another good option, Thank You Corwin.
That would be handier than the zip tie approach I had in mind. I could loop some magnum rubber bands on the 27mm hose at the right intervals and easily attach/detach as the need denotes.
I think the D27 hose will still be plenty long enough even if I trim the 15"-17" length to make the short whip end as Dan suggested.

Always good help available on this site!

Ron
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Two clarifications on my prior post. First off, you may want to use the D27 for sanding instead of adding an adapter to your D36 hose. Festool recommends using the D27 for sanding applications -- probably because the smaller hose handles the finner particles better than the larger hose.

And secondly, while you certainly could attach rubber bands at intervals along the length of a hose, I would suggest simply placing a rubber band at each hose bracket location on the fly. At each hose bracket I place a rubber band over the cord clip on one side, stretch it over the hose and hook it onto the other cord clip on the opposite side. This is very simple and holds the 'second' hose firmly to the Boom Arm. Installing rubber bands onto the hose as you suggest may be more problematic... wouldn't want those rubber bands on the hose while not installed on your Boom Arm.

Sorry to make such an issue over this simple concept.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 AM

"Sorry to make such an issue over this simple concept. "
-- Hey Corwin, Keep in mind you're dealing with a simple person here.

I've got it. I was thinking to "hang" the D27 hose somewhat loose with the bands but going from one clip to the other side clip will make it a nicer snug fit.

Also, good point with using the 27mm hose on the sander -- I usually crank the CT33 vac down about to lowest setting when sanding, it still captures the dust & lets the sander glide better.

I've also ordered one of the Dust Deputys & intend to set it on the vac similar to what you did if I recall your picture.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope your health is comming along well.

Ron
Old 05-02-2009, 02:15 AM

I was thinking of running d36 from the d50 all the way down to arms reach above my head hanging off the end of the boom.. On the end of that hose, put a fitting just like the fitting that hooks to the vac. Then I can plug my longer d 27 or d36 into the fitting that hangs in the air just above my head with the double female that festool sells. The inside of the double female is the same as the port on the vac and will accept all of there hoses..

That way I could use either hose and attach either one at will. Kinda like Dave Ronyaks idea but both d27 and d36 drop hoses about the same length. That way I won't be struggling with the larger d36 attached to a short piece of d27 when I'm sanding or doing something with the smaller hose. It seems like the sander would be much easier to operate without having the larger hose and a solid coupling that close to the sander. I've been to Dave's shop but i never really tried his set up with the short hose coupler. I do think he told me the same concern and that it would be better a if the adapter were a little longer.

Another reason I was thinking of doing it with two longer hoses is to keep the hoses and plugits all the same lengths. No matter which hose you add everything would match at the end.

All Ideas at the moment. I still have to build the boom arms onto the wall or get festools. Still haven't decided that yet. I will post some pics when I get there. Both boom arms will be attached to a ct33 with the dust deputy set up.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...

Last edited by wnagle; 05-02-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Wayne,

I had also thought of placing a coupler at the end of the Boom Arm so you could attach whichever hose, but feared that I would often pull the connection apart during use as I pulled on the hose. However, this certainly would be a great idea for a stationary (like a wall mounted) boom arm...

Also, adding too much hose on any boom arm setup does somewhat defeat the purpose of the arm, as soon you would again have the hose on the floor.

And Ron, thanks for asking, but my earlier eye surgery failed and I will be undergoing another next week. This is going to be one expen$ive eye, so I do hope that I will be able to get some use out of it... We'll see. Sorry, bad pun -- must have been my upbringing.