talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Which C12 should I get?

Eco,

I have the 2.4 with all the chucks. It is one great drill. I have use every single chuck many, many times to solve all sorts of weird problems.

Three points...

First, when I got the C12, I didn't have my Makita impact driver. That's why I got the 2.4 battery. Now, I strongly believe in impact drivers for the big stuff and a lightweight drill for the rest. Therefore, I'd recommend a decent impact driver (Makita?) plus the C12 1.3. But...

Second, you need to try the C12 in your hand. Some people don't like the shape. I like it for many reasons, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Third, you may want to wait for the new Festool LiIon drills. They look pretty nice. And, the traditional handle may fit your hand better.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Eco,

I have the 2.4 with all the chucks. It is one great drill. I have use every single chuck many, many times to solve all sorts of weird problems.

Three points...

First, when I got the C12, I didn't have my Makita impact driver. That's why I got the 2.4 battery. Now, I strongly believe in impact drivers for the big stuff and a lightweight drill for the rest. Therefore, I'd recommend a decent impact driver (Makita?) plus the C12 1.3. But...

Second, you need to try the C12 in your hand. Some people don't like the shape. I like it for many reasons, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Third, you may want to wait for the new Festool LiIon drills. They look pretty nice. And, the traditional handle may fit your hand better.

Regards,

Dan.
Don't worry I wont buy any expensive drills in the next little while.... I already overspend my tool budged for the next half year. (Makita compressor, 2 new makita drills, new miter saw, saw blades, MFt 1080 and today I got my second CT-Mini and ETS125) That should do for the next little while
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Should I not be waiting for the T 15 (+3)? I always use the equation more power = better, but it sounds like many people on here are perfectly happy with the 12 volt. I was planning on going all out on the 15 once it comes out. Comments?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Perfect Little Angel

The C12 with 1.3's are more than adequate for most tasks you'll come across. You wouldn't want to be continually drilling half inch holes through quarter inch steel plate but about everything else it's great for. We can drive a lot of cabinet hangers (#10 X 3"), it just goes and goes. The T12 is also a sweet little drill and even lighter in weight. You've got a hard choice to make.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Founding Member

I've used my C12 to install 3-1/2" X 5/16 lag screws into Fir joists and Microllam beams. And it will drill holes with any of the drill bits I have. It's a tough little bugger.

But for really big stuff, any drill is tough on your wrists. That's why you need an Impact driver.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidma1 View Post
Should I not be waiting for the T 15 (+3)? I always use the equation more power = better, but it sounds like many people on here are perfectly happy with the 12 volt. I was planning on going all out on the 15 once it comes out. Comments?
I think many folks just assume that more power input is better. If a motor consumes, say, 700W and another 500W, but the 700W machine's gear train and bearing losses are greater, the power delivered at the bit may be less than the better engineered and finished 500W unit.

Note I'm talking watts, not volts. Volts are a nice easy number, but not very meaningful. Festool refers to their new T-series drills as "T12+3" and "T15+3" to emphasize that their performance is equal to competitors' 15V and 18V products.

Ned
Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 AM

I got a chance to see the T12 and T15 series last week. One of the nice upgrades is the separation of the clutch mechanism and the drill/driver switch. This allows you to find a setting on the clutch and leave it in place while you use a different switch to go into the drilling mode. That way, when you switch back to the driver mode, your clutch setting is still intact. I never remember to make a note of the clutch setting so that would be useful.

The LIon batteries are pretty cool too. They have a circuit board in them that records how many times the battery is charged, how many times the trigger is pulled using that battery, total usage time and some other stuff I can't remember.

The allure of the Festool drills is in the attachments. They allow you to do things elegantly. I saw a T12 demo using the right angle attachment drilling into solid maple with a 1 inch wood bit. It has all the power you need for cordless drill applications. Dan has it right. If you want to drive deck screws get an impact driver and use the Festool for cabinet, remodeling work, whatever. It will drive pocket hole screws all day long.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 AM

I agree with Greg and Dan. I've had my c12 for a couple of years. It is a great screw gun, especially the 90 degree angle chuck. That baby has saved me a lot of headaches and frustrations. You should also think about a Makita set. I love my impact driver. When installing cabinets, I have my impact with a phillips driver, makita drill/driver with a drill bit and my c12 with an Amama counter sink. I don;t even usually break out my old DogWalt. By the way, Try not to buy cordless power tools at Home Depot. I think they sell seconds.
I would get the smaller battery. I got the 3 amp thinking bigger=better, not in this case.
My .02 worth.
Tom
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 AM

I agree. Impact gun for the longer screws for construction and I got my C12 for the more "finesse" tasks of cabinetry in the shop. I had a 14.4 Milwaukee impact and used the heck out of it. Replaced it with a Milwaukee 18v
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM

I think the 1.3Amp Hour is the way to go unless you plan to be isolated from a power outlet where you can charge a battery.

You would be hard press to kill a battery on a 1.3Amp Hour battery within the 20 minute period it takes to charge a spare battery pack

Just my Canadian Two Cents
Dan Clermont