talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default OF 1010 OR OF 1400 Router?

OK, I'm ready for my next Festool "fix". I got great advice on here on buying the Domino and RO150 sander which after using just a couple of hours I really love them both. (Can you "love" a tool??).
I've been pinging between the OF1010 and the OF1400. I lean to the 1400 because I've got a good selection of 1/2" shank bits and I like the ratchet spindle & power. Then I swing back to the 1010 because it's about 4lbs. lighter (important) and has more Festool attachments available. I have a router table for that type stuff, I would mainly use the plunge router for dressing edges, etc. The LR drilling system looks like it will be useful but either router can be used with that.
What other differences between the two do you like or dislike? I hope the answer isn't that I really need them both!! If you could only have one of the two which would it be & why?
Thanks,
Ron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: OF 1010 OR OF 1400 Router?

I like to use the smallest tool that can do the job. The OF1010 is sweet. Get the extension table for adequate support while trimming edges, especially outside corners.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 AM

Hi,

You will get a good number of people supporting both. I say the OF1400 is still the best choice if you are only getting one. I just think that it is more of an all around performer.

I am not sure that the OF1010 has more attachments available

You certainly have a good reason just in the 1/2" bit department alone. I also feel that the DC is better on the 1400. The ratcheting collet is great. The snap in rings and such are nice too. The 1010 will do everything you ask of it, but the 1400 will handle some things better with that extra power.

Bottom line is you will be happy with either one because they are both waaay nicer / better than any of the competition. And of course having both would excellent!!

Seth
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE my 1400! And I can't wait to buy a 1010 also frankly.

So, yeah, both!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

I only have the OF1010, and I love it. There's nothing I've asked it to do that it has balked at. I agree with Michael that you want the smallest router you can handle for the job, and the light weight and impressive power of the 1010 make it a gem. The only drawback - and this may be significant - is that it doesn't take 1/2" shank bits. That has, occasionally, been a pain...
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 AM

I had the 1010 found it great but was too limited in router size. We are in North America and 1/2" and 3/4" are the common size router bits available here. In Europe were it's easier to get 8 mm bits I would go with the 1010, plenty big enough. But not here. I was working with it for 30 minutes and was really annoyed how much the 1/4" bit was vibrating.... Next day I ordered my 1400 and just love it love it love it! Festool was kind enough to take the smaller one back!

Get the 1400! Also easier to sell again!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

Hi. I made this same decision 10 days ago and chose the 1010. I think it is the handiest router that i have ever used for edge work. if you have a larger router 2hp plus I recommend the 1010 and you will find that you will use it more often then you think. Also unless you are using large diam. bits (larger than the 1010 can safely handle) the 1/4 shaft is more than adequate if the bit is from a quality manufacturer. if you have a huge selection of 1/2 bits then you already have more powerful routers.

either way you win.

craig
Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
OK, I'm ready for my next Festool "fix". I got great advice on here on buying the Domino and RO150 sander which after using just a couple of hours I really love them both. (Can you "love" a tool??).
I've been pinging between the OF1010 and the OF1400. I lean to the 1400 because I've got a good selection of 1/2" shank bits and I like the ratchet spindle & power. Then I swing back to the 1010 because it's about 4lbs. lighter (important) and has more Festool attachments available. I have a router table for that type stuff, I would mainly use the plunge router for dressing edges, etc. The LR drilling system looks like it will be useful but either router can be used with that.
What other differences between the two do you like or dislike? I hope the answer isn't that I really need them both!! If you could only have one of the two which would it be & why?
Thanks,
Ron

The real answer is that you need all four

RONWEN, is the only other router you have mounted in the table?

Seth
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

RONWEN, I think you need to try them both. The beauty of the whole Festool thing is that they really, truly guarantee their tools. Try it for a month. If you want the other one, take the first one back and get the second one.

And who knows - you may end up getting them both.

By the way, the OF1010 is the only router Fred doesn't have, so you'd be one up on him. Small victories!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

I have a 1010 and a table-mounted Porter-Cable 7539. I had a Bosch about the size of a 1400 and let it go when I got the 1010.

Many of the criticisms of the 1010 in this thread are in fact negatives about 1/4"-shanked bits. I agree. Don't judge the 1010 until you use one with the much more substantial 8mm bits.

If you are using the MFS adjustable pattern thingie, you'll want the 1400. Not because of power, but because when the router's sitting on top of a 16mm-thick (5/8") pattern the extra length of 1/2" bits makes it easier to set up.

Ah, just get both...

Ned