talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: OF 1010 OR OF 1400 Router?

Poto, you're using the 8mm Festool bits, right?

Ned
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I use the 8 mm bits for the dovetails, but I use 1/4" for everything else. I admit, there are times when I wish the 1010 could take a 1/2" bit for a certain profile that they don't make in a 1/4" bit. But I still don't want a bigger router...

I wish that the local Festool dealers would carry Festool bits - I'd buy those in a heartbeat if they were there. I just don't want to wait a week to get a bit through the mail...

The store I went to in France had bits for sale. Why can't we do that?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 PM

I havent used my 1400 since I got the 1010 about 6 months ago. I had alot of 8mm and 1/4" bits already.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 AM

Ron,

I think you might need to flip a coin. Like I said somewhere else in this thread - you will find plenty of supporters / users of both. All with good reasons. I have every intention to own all of them at some point.

Say, if you don't mind giving out your general location , you might find someone here on tF that is not too far away. If they own both you might be able to really try them both out side by side.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 03-09-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I agree, neither choice will be a mistake & I like the brand well enough that I could have both in the end. I haven't heard anyone with both models say that they regret buying either although one did return the 1010 for the 1400 because of unsatisfactory results with the 1/4" bit. I see that Festool has a pretty good selection of 8mm bits which is no doubt the size to use in the 1010. Freud nor CMT offer anything in 8mm at least that I can find on their websites.
I could drive down to the Rockler store & test drive both of them however that would be unethical on my part since I plan to buy from the internet to avoid sales tax & so I won't "use" them even though I buy lots of other stuff from them.
When I'm ready I will reach into my pocket, pull out a coin and make the decision as many important decisions are decided...

Ron
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I could drive down to the Rockler store & test drive both of them however that would be unethical on my part since I plan to buy from the internet to avoid sales tax & so I won't "use" them even though I buy lots of other stuff from them....
Good man. I think the same way.

In this situation, though, you might want to go to Rockler, test drive both, make your choice, buy from Rockler, and just think of the sales tax as a cost of deciding.

If I were doing this, I'd insist on an 8mm Festool bit in the 1010 for the test drive. These bits are just overall excellent, and will show what the 1010 can do.

Ned
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM

I am coming into this thread rather late and think the OF 1400 is a much better all round router. The OF 1010 is a great little router for edge treatments, trimming, detail work and the LR 32 system but it won't swing 1/2" shank bits and when you start talking about plowing Dado's the power will be needed.

Dan Clermont