talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I have something Fred doesn't have.

Enough about Basis units and Chads. Congratulations on getting married! Let's see this bride of yours!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM

The CS70 is a table saw only. The Basis is something else altogether, but Chad had one of them too. He also had the Festool belt sander w/frame and a few other tools we don't get. His shop was wired for 220 and 110 so that he could use all of his tools. He designed in England for 6 years and collected quite a few tools while there. He uses his basis as a router table and to hold the belt sander, which is a monster. He also claims that it is unparalleled for flattening a tabletop when used with the sanding frame.

He also has a Felder combo saw and shaper so he wasn't sacrificing much by selling the CS70, but I can testify to the fact that the Felder ain't portable. What a piece of equipment that machine is!

The CS 70 breaks down in minutes. You can remove and replace the slider without need to realign it. For jobsite work the slider might take up a lot of room in transport, but we did bring it all back in a Subaru Forrester along with the monster wheeled suitcase that most women need when they travel, my camera bag and duffel bag, 2 set of snowshoes w/ poles, and a couple bags of kitchen utensils we bought while there. I am probably forgetting a thing or two but that should indicate its relative compactness. As you can see, there was a fence, outfeed table and right side extension in the mix.

The only use I have put it to use for so far was as a crosscut station, something I would have usually done on the Kapex. I used the fence off the MFT3, with its swing stop, in place of the CS fence, crosscut one end square, flipped the board and swung the stop down, and crosscut to length. The saw has a pulling function that will slide the blade forward under the table so I used that instead of sliding the board across the blade. Sweet. Essentially an upside down SCMS. In general, I would say this tool could perform very well, especially as a jobsite saw, in place of a table saw for ripping and a SCMS for cut-off and mitering. I do not believe it would be any better at breaking down sheet goods than any other TS. For that, break out the other TSs, the 55 or 75. More later.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Wow Greg! Double congratulations, actually triple since you have a new house too.

"He also had the Festool belt sander w/frame and a few other tools we don't get... He uses his basis as a router table and to hold the belt sander, which is a monster. He also claims that it is unparalleled for flattening a tabletop when used with the sanding frame."

As you know I've been railing about this tool for years so it's good to have some backup.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Greg, I may just have to come by your shop and steal try that!
Very cool.

And congrats on getting married!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky977 View Post
Greg, I may just have to come by your shop and steal try that!

Very cool.

And congrats on getting married!

I knew you would feel bad, Sparky, being in Hastings and all. With the work you do this would be a great tool as it is so portable. The downside on this particualr one would be that it is 220. I think Festool should really think about bringing it over (I know, UL ). As I pointed out, on the jobsite it could easily do 95% or more of what a SCMS can do plus its utility as a table saw.

Michael, I though about you when I saw the belt sander. I think you have the AEG version, IIRC. So I guess I still have someone to be envious of. I would buy this tool in a heartbeat. Actually, when Chad expressed a little heartbreak over letting the CS70 go I told him he could keep the check and I would arrange for the Felder to be pulled out in its place. He snapped out of his nostalgia right off.

BTW, I don't recall saying I had a new house. I don't, and the one I have has plenty of woodworking and repair projects to keep me occupied for a long time. Thank you anyways, I will still settle for double congrats. Nice to hear from you. I've missed your posts. Had me worried.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMann View Post

Michael, I though about you when I saw the belt sander. I think you have the AEG version, IIRC. So I guess I still have someone to be envious of. I would buy this tool in a heartbeat.

BTW, I don't recall saying I had a new house. I don't, and the one I have has plenty of woodworking and repair projects to keep me occupied for a long time. Thank you anyways, I will still settle for double congrats. Nice to hear from you. I've missed your posts. Had me worried.
I have the AEG 3x21. Does he have the 4x?

I thought I remembered you had a decision to make about which house to live in after getting married. So you two decided to stay in yours?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Someone mentioned the Festool belt sander - I have the smaller one of the two that they make, with the frame. I can confirm it is very useful (- I now have less problems sanding through the wafer thin veneer on the rubbish Asian plywood they sell here-) although it is VERY noisy and dust collection is not on a par with other Festool sanders. Also comes with handy feet so you can stand it on a bench.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 AM

Okay Greg, any updates since you've had this thing for a few months now?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM

I have had one about two years now and i love it, powerfull, quiet, a great saw.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Brice,

I like the saw a lot. I really think its best application would be for a trim carpenter on a job-site. He would not need to bring a table saw and a SCMS as this tool could do both. The issue of cross-cutting long stock goes away because the board can be held stationary while the saw is pulled thru the cut. I have done this using the fence off the MFT3, just to see how well it works. It is pretty easy to set up for this type of operation but you would need more room to swing the stock if you were cutting miters. The Kapex would certainly cross-cut more easily but you can't rip on it.

Ripping on the CS is just as easy as any other table saw. The riving knife is excellent and it holds the upper dust guard nicely. Without the guard/dust collection on it can be pushed down quite a bit if you did not want it engaged for some reason. You cannot use the saw with a dado. There is a place for a splinterguard insert that works on both sides of the blade and is easily replaced for wear or different blades so you could keep a blade and splinterguard paired up. Chad told me the Panther blade was superb on this saw but I have not had occasion to use it as yet.

Dust collection is quite good. There are two hoses that attach below (50mm) and above (27mm). The air used to cool the motor passes through a cartridge filter on its way in. Nice touch.

I guess this is a fine saw for someone who has a small shop and would like to have essentially one sawing station. The sliding blade cross-cuts long stock, it rips like a cab saw, and the slider can handle shorter pieces for cross-cuts and miter gauge work. There are actually three locations one can use the blade. It can be pulled and locked up close to the front for cross-cutting with the slider, especially useful for 45 degree miters. The normal position for ripping is locked in the middle, which puts the blade about the same distance from the front as a normal cab saw. It can also be slid all the way back. This would probably be nice for cutting panels that may have more width than the slider has travel. You could use the slider to full travel and then pull the blade through to finish the cut. I haven't done this and have not checked the fence positions at start and finish of the slider but I do think this has some potential to increase the capacity of the slider. Not sure.

Overall, it is a nice saw. Smooth and quiet. The blade stops quite quickly, which is a feature I like. As a kid I cut my thumb pretty good on a small TS picking off an offcut as the blade was slowing down. Luckily, it was almost stopped and my thumb didn't need to do much more work getting it to stop. Don't plan on doing that again anytime soon.