talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tools

Festool Tools Discussions about Festool Tools and Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 AM

Default MFT old vs.MFT new

Hi,

I thought I should share this with you guys:

I decently bought a used older model MFT table (I believe it's called MFT 1080?). From reading older posts about this table I knew that the height was lower then the one on the newer model.
As I already had a MFT/3 in my shop I was keen to compare both

The first impression of the older style, was the "flimsy" fence that I quite dislike.... While doing some cross cutting I was "out of square" more then once! Quite frustrating The new design is much better!
Because of that, I will use the 1080 as a worktable extension, assembly-/ and job site table. So no big deal.

As for the height difference:

I couldn't believe how easy that one was to fix! I had this vision in my head that I would have to shop around for the "perfect" size casters for weeks. Well, I grabbed a 3/4 sheet of pine, mounted 4 soft plastic IKEA casters ,I had kicking around, put the table ontop and guess what, both tables now line up perfectly !!! How lucky was that?

IKEA | Furniture care & hardware | Hardware | RILL | Caster
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Default Re: MFT old vs.MFT new

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I had the same problem with the MFT 1080 fence. That's what lead to the Qwas Dogs. I was actually building a fence that rode in a dado near the end of the top when I noticed the holes and their alignment.

I've heard from others the MFT/3 fence is a much design and it really works.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Andreas,

How can I say this politely ...."You Suck!!!"

How do you manage to find these used Festool's in a land where Festool has been exposed to so few people?

You are going to like having two tables!!

Dan Clermont

Last edited by DanClermont; 03-12-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM

He he he, i'm always scanning usedVictoria and usedVancouver and sometimes you come across some used Festools. The MFT 1080 I got for $350--that was a no brainer! My first festool was a ETS 125 with tonnes of sand paper from Vancouver for just under $200.

That's how it works
Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM

I am at that cross road keep the 1080 or sell and buy the mft3 or keep both.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteknical View Post
I am at that cross road keep the 1080 or sell and buy the mft3 or keep both.
Since "keep both" is a possibility, just buy the MFT/3. You can decide later about keeping the 1080, after you see how it really plays out for you.

Ned
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
He he he, i'm always scanning usedVictoria and usedVancouver and sometimes you come across some used Festools. The MFT 1080 I got for $350--that was a no brainer! My first festool was a ETS 125 with tonnes of sand paper from Vancouver for just under $200.

That's how it works
Do you ever check Craigslist? Never heard of UsedVictoria and UsedVancouver . Obviously you have had some pretty good luck on them though

Cheers
Dan Clermont
Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
Do you ever check Craigslist? Never heard of UsedVictoria and UsedVancouver . Obviously you have had some pretty good luck on them though

Cheers
Dan Clermont
No I don't... I do a lot of sales and marketing on UsedVictoria and it works quite well.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 PM

That was my 1080!

I like the MFT but it was too big to be portable and too small for use in the shop (as a cutting table for cabinetry) and as such, did not meet either requirement we had for it very well. I never had a problem with accurate cross cuts though. I kept our 800 which is heavily modded and works great as a portable table (compact and light) and as a router table tablesaw support table when in the shop. I was dissapointed when Festool dropped the smaller size...

I'm hoping the 800 lasts a good long time, besides the fact that its not made anymore, checking out the latest canadian Festool prices is quickly pushing me out of the Festool market. I used to factor the Systainer in as a part of the purchase but nearly $700 for a 6inch ROS (Rotex) WOW!...

Michael
Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
That was my 1080!

I like the MFT but it was too big to be portable and too small for use in the shop (as a cutting table for cabinetry) and as such, did not meet either requirement we had for it very well. I never had a problem with accurate cross cuts though. I kept our 800 which is heavily modded and works great as a portable table (compact and light) and as a router table tablesaw support table when in the shop. I was dissapointed when Festool dropped the smaller size...

I'm hoping the 800 lasts a good long time, besides the fact that its not made anymore, checking out the latest canadian Festool prices is quickly pushing me out of the Festool market. I used to factor the Systainer in as a part of the purchase but nearly $700 for a 6inch ROS (Rotex) WOW!...

Michael
The MFT/3 for the KAPEX would be the equivalent to the MFT 800. Probably about an 1" lower then the old 800.

The new Canadian Festool prices all have to do with a poor dollar. Right now the dollar is pushing $1.30 and that doesn't make me very happy either. When I first started the exchange rate was $1.05 and that was pretty nice.. for the first week and then the roller coaster ride started and the dollar plunged to around $1.20 to $1.30 depending on the day

I sure hope we don't end up back at $1.60 as that would push the KAPEX to around $2000 and the Rotex around $800.

To be honest though, I am not sure what Festool has in the works for Canadian prices down the road so we may break away from the exchange rate at some point.... only they can answer that question.

Dan Clermont