talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tips and Techniques

Festool Tips and Techniques Tips on using your Festools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Speedy Guide Rail Maintenance

Sometimes the guide rails need a bit of TLC to keep them running smooth and accurate.
I don't want to be messing about with them for too long.. Here's how I maintain my guide rails, it can be done in ten minutes.

Firstly I peel the old rubber off and take a chisel to scrape the old bond off. I try to avoid solvents and the chisel does a good job very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0434-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0435-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0438-1-.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Speedy Guide Rail Maintenance

Next up is to replace the rubber strip.
I'm not so impressed with the clear strip offered by festool, I prefer a black strip. I buy mine at any hardware store, DIY store. It's very cheap and You can buy a whole reel of it if you prefer. Just make sure it's 2mm thick and you'll be good to go. I also use a good quality double stick tape.

Lay the tape on, peel it back little by little (to avoid any workshop dirt finding its way onto the gum, while laying the rubber strip on top, making sure its butted up against the edge of the lip.
Attached Thumbnails
speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0440-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0441-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0443-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0444-1-.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM

My double stick tape was a little too wide, but that's no problem. I take my Olfa and gently run it along the edge, it then peels off easily.

Next up I give the guide rail a gentle rub with a soft scotchbrite pad. You'll be surprised how much crud is sitting on them

I then give the rail a light coat of wax to keep it slick and make dust easier to remove.

Lastly the rubber strip gets trimmed by the tracksaw and the rail is ready for more work.
Attached Thumbnails
speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0445-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0446-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0447-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0448-1-.jpg   speedy-guide-rail-maintenance-img_0449-1-.jpg  

Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for this, Okamisan. Is your adhesive not the pressure-sensitive kind? I recall a discussion here some time ago about pressure-sensitive adhesive. I've had a devil of a time replacing my guide strip, and I think it's because I didn't clamp the strip after placing it on the rail - it needed the pressure to stick.

I'm going to have to try this again...

P.S. You must have a very soft touch, to not gouge your rail with the chisel!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM

It's just a good quality double sided tape. I've never had a problem with it, I've used it for years on my guide rails. It sticks to the rubber and rail very well without any kind of clamping.
The trick with the chisel is to use a Japanese one. The angle of a Japanese chisel handle allows you to lay the whole back of the chisel steel on the rail. This prevents gouging.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM

For those of us without a soft touch, a razor blade takes off the gunk easily.

Thanks, Okamisan, for the tip about getting 2mm rubber strip at the hardware store and then using doublestick, that should save us some money for sure!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
It's just a good quality double sided tape. I've never had a problem with it, I've used it for years on my guide rails. It sticks to the rubber and rail very well without any kind of clamping.
The trick with the chisel is to use a Japanese one. The angle of a Japanese chisel handle allows you to lay the whole back of the chisel steel on the rail. This prevents gouging.
Sounds like a perfect job for my Bridge City Flushing Chisel...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks, Okami. This is VERY useful information.

Charles