talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tips and Techniques

Festool Tips and Techniques Tips on using your Festools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM

Default Using A New Dado Technique...New To Me...

OK...So I was trying to figure out a different way to do some dados, other than on the TS. I liked some of the jigs I've seen, but didn't want to buy another jig. I already have a Festool OF1400 and guide rail, so I figured out a way to do the same thing that jigs do, without the jig. The technique can be done with other routers using guide rails. I'm sure a lot of you have already figured this out, but this is new to me, so I thought I'd share...
I set up the router as usual, using the router "Guide Rail Stop", which is Festool's name for the router guide rail adapter. Since I'm using a 1/2" upcut bit for a 3/4" dado, I use a 1/2" gauge block to space the router exactly 1/2" from the rail edge.

I then run the first pass. For the second pass, I replace the gauge block with a piece of the actual material that's going to fit into the dado, along with a .008" feeler gauge piece, for glue spacing and plywood imperfections.

After making the second pass, I get a dado that is consistently just the right size for that piece of plywood.

Comments?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Using A New Dado Technique...New To Me...

That's a great technique. I use my OF1010 router and guide rail for all my dados (and also tenon cheeks). I like the offset technique you use. It's similar in some ways to my technique for making bridle joints on the band saw.

Nice idea, and thanks so much for sharing it with us! I'll be sure to use it.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That's a great technique. I use my OF1010 router and guide rail for all my dados (and also tenon cheeks). I like the offset technique you use. It's similar in some ways to my technique for making bridle joints on the band saw.

Nice idea, and thanks so much for sharing it with us! I'll be sure to use it.

It's so simple, I'm sure a lot of others here have done the same. While I was researching some of the dado jigs, a light just went on in my head. All of the "tight dado" jigs seemed to use a gauge block and a piece of material the dado was to fit, so those two pieces must be the key. I think is will work great as long as your gauge block matches your bit size.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

The other way of looking at it is that the spacer needs to be the thickness of your stock, minus the width of the dado bit.

By the way, this is the perfect application for the Bridge City Kerfmaker...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
The other way of looking at it is that the spacer needs to be the thickness of your stock, minus the width of the dado bit.

By the way, this is the perfect application for the Bridge City Kerfmaker...
Exactly...minus the Kerfmaker. I was looking at the Kerfmaker,but they're not available at the moment. That's partly why I was thinking, "how can I do this, without a Kerfmaker or Accurate Guide or any other device. Using this method, I can make the dado as loose or as tight as I desire.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Very nice!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM

Just thought of something! If I put a couple of stops on the rod/rods, I can set the stops once, then repeat the dados over and over. Can anyone come up with easy stops for the rod/rods?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 AM

Search shaft collars on McMaster Carr. They have a wide assortment of sizes and materials; it looks like they have some with non-marring set screws.

-Rutager
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 PM

Tried this just now. Works really well as far as getting that perfect fit. If you don't have a MFT though, what's the best way to square up the guide rail with the workpiece so that your dado runs perfectly parallel with top and bottom of your piece? I have Festools FS-KS angle unit, but there is no notch for 90 degrees. You basically try and line it up with a marked indicator line, which is pretty subjective. It's easy to be off 1/16" Can't square it ups with a carpenter's square because of how the festool angle unit is constructed.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatian7 View Post
Tried this just now. Works really well as far as getting that perfect fit. If you don't have a MFT though, what's the best way to square up the guide rail with the workpiece so that your dado runs perfectly parallel with top and bottom of your piece?
If you have a large square like a woodpeckers, you could square up the guide rail with that.
A lot of woodworkers I know around here make their own large squares from ply. They use them and do great work with them. Sometimes woodwork gets over complicated.

Last edited by Okami; 06-29-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Added info