talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tips and Techniques

Festool Tips and Techniques Tips on using your Festools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Default MFT 1080 Riser /Systainer storage

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a new 1080 from a dealer going out of business (at a great price). Faced with the height problem, I reviewed many of the posts on the forum and came up with a solution is a mix of many. It also provides for systainer storage.

Had been using a homemade MFT: http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/creati...basic-mft.html

Started with the feet: Glued three 2x4's together (approx 24 in each) and cut into 5 pieces each about 4 inches long. Using a 1 5/8 forstner bit then bored holes for the legs on the MFT. (The 5th foot came in handy when boring/leveling each of the other 4 feet). The depth of each hole controlled the leveling of the table and the ultimate height (36 1/2" in my case).

Then connected the feet with appropriately sized 2x4's as shown in the first pic.

Built 3 identical cases for systainer storage (outside dimensions 20.75H x 18.25W x 12.75D). Used 3/4" MDF for the cases (to match the MFT top). Should have used plywood. The dimension were important...as you can see from the pics, 2 of the cases are side by side facing the front and the third is facing out the right side. The distance between the MFT leg cross members is exactly 49.25". The 3 cases fit snuggly between them helpting to provide addtional stability to the table.

Used Accuride 3864 12" slides for the pull out shelves. These have a 1" over-travel...perfect for opening the systainer tops. The shelves are 1/2" MDF (again I should have used plywood). The shelves have a slight lip on the front and back to keep the systainers from sliding forward or back on the shelves.

The two front facing storage units provide for two Sys #1's and one Sys#2. The side storage uint was designed for two Sys #2's. However, after working with it, I decided the top spot on the side unit was too ideal for my sandpaper systainer (#1). So, I moved everyting up a little and that made room for a small drawer above the leg cross member. There is also a drawer below the cross member.

I keep my QWAS dogs and Rail dogs in the drawer so they are always handy!

Above the storage cases, I put rails lengthwise to act as retaining walls for the MFT long rails that can be stored there.

All in all I'm very happy with this. It accomplished the following:
1. Raised the MFT to a workable height
2. Levelled the table to my floor
3. Provides excellent storage 8 systainers...I no longer need to find open table space just to get to the contents.
4. Provides storage for the long MFT rails/accesories when not in use.
5. Provides excellent stability...the weight of the systainers makes the whole unit very solid...am able to plane on the top with no wobble.
Attached Thumbnails
mft-1080-riser-systainer-storage-img_0583.jpg   mft-1080-riser-systainer-storage-img_0586.jpg   mft-1080-riser-systainer-storage-img_0587.jpg   mft-1080-riser-systainer-storage-img_0588.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: MFT 1080 Riser /Systainer storage

Great job. Looks like you've added a lot of stability to the MFT, and the storage is very practical. My one worry would be that the sawdust falls through the holes of the MFT and gets the tops of your cabinets pretty covered. I find that routing is especially bad for shavings getting through the holes.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Nice work, clever use of space.

What is the height of the surface of your MFT with the risers?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks John and Poto...

John, the height is 36 1/2"

Poto, I guess that's why I have two vacs in there...and, it helps to keep the floor clean.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post

John, the height is 36 1/2"
That's good, although I prefer it a little higher.

The original height of the MFT 1080 is 32" (why?) and that is a killer on the back. Even the 35 1/2" of the MFT/3 is not really high enough.

I built my workbench at 41" which is wonderful for my back, although it might be hard on the chins of some people I know.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Well done Gil. I don't see your old table tops or saw horses. Do you still plan on using them?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
That's good, although I prefer it a little higher.

The original height of the MFT 1080 is 32" (why?) and that is a killer on the back. Even the 35 1/2" of the MFT/3 is not really high enough.

I built my workbench at 41" which is wonderful for my back, although it might be hard on the chins of some people I know.
Actually, I find the MFT height to be perfect. And as you all know, I'm "normal" sized...
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Well done Gil. I don't see your old table tops or saw horses. Do you still plan on using them?

Thanks Steve...

The DeWalt miter stand will be retired to just being a miter stand. The two tops will be adapted to be infeed/outfeed units for table saw. And, maybe an extension for the 1080.

I use your rail dogs (with small Incra track/flip stops) all the time on the 1080 for 90 degree cuts.

Gil
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Potosan, They say size counts, wish I was normal .''''''''''''''''':smad:

Tags
1080, height, mft, qwas dogs, rail dogs, storage, sysport