talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Tips and Techniques

Festool Tips and Techniques Tips on using your Festools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Make Your Own MFT Top

Hi Tom, and WELCOME!

I believe that Richard Wedler at Micro Fence makes a jig to hold other routers on to the Festool guide rail. Try this link: Interfaces - Micro Fence - Precision tools for the discerning

Unfortunately, it's almost as expensive as buying a Festool router.

As for raising your MFT3, if you noodle around, you can find lots of people who have built cabinets for the MFTs. Just make sure you leave space underneath so that you can get your hand/arm in and out to put clamps in the holes. You could also just get some 4x4 stock, and drill holes for the feet of the MFT3. With some cross-braces, it would probably be more stable than the original. Just cut the stock to the right height for you.

As for replacement tops, I've found that they last so long that it makes more sense to get the Festool ones. I've re-filled the kerfs in my tops several times using Durhams Rock Hard putty. I've then flipped them over, and re-done them. They've worked for more than 7 years with no problems. That's pretty good value for something that's expendable.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 AM

Hi Tom I made a guide rail adapter for a Bosch D handle router out of some 3/4" plastic that was easy to make and works better then the Festool adapter for my use.I posted pictures of it near the end of the first page and on the second page of this thread on the Festool Owners Group. Which saw ? Which track ? Which miter ? which clamps ? which system ? If you have any questions that the photos don't answer let me know. Don
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM

super! thanks guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Hi Tom,
Being height challenged also @ 5' 18" , I had 2 pieces of 6x6 that I put under the legs. Works fairly well. If you want to drill holes for the legs to keep it in place a little better.
Welcome.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM

For those of you who built one of these using a router, what bit would you use? Would this Freud bit work?

Amazon.com: Freud 04-552 20mm Diameter by...Amazon.com: Freud 04-552 20mm Diameter by...

I also found this Festool one though the measurement dimensions aren't clear to me:
Amazon.com: Festool 490948 Spiral Bit HSS...Amazon.com: Festool 490948 Spiral Bit HSS...

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM

someone on this thread mentioned the exact bit, a "hinge bit"

Amazon.com: 20mm hinge bit try these
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Amazon.com: Festool 491072 Euro-Hinge Boring Bit...Amazon.com: Festool 491072 Euro-Hinge Boring Bit...
This bi will work.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM

Hi.
I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd direct you to my attempt. I haven't read all posts in this thread. I figure that someone already proposed a similar solution, but I'll add mine anyway.

I won't repost everything but instead redirect you to FOG if you don't mind.

Make a perfect "MFT" with Qwas raildogs

//Michael
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Very nice! I hope to be making a bench soon and will do the same. As son as I get some quas dogs...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 AM

I was dreaming up a temporary clamping/cutting surface utilizing qwas dogs and the rails, etc., came across mft1080 replacement tops on amazon - almost down to $100, free shipping, seems like a great deal - reasonable cost and a lot less brain damage than drilling the hole grid myself.