talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer

Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer Store, transport, organize with Systainers, Sortainers, including custom inserts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:26 AM

Default Getting started ...

When I look at the system in this post:

2009 Festool-centric workshops.

are those just a wall of systainer strongboxes ? I see them referred to as "systainer ports" and "strongboxes" in different places - they are the same thing, yes ?

Do strongboxes connect to each other, or did this user connect them in some other way ?

When I see this listed at mysystainer, they show it with 7 drawers:

http://www.mysystainer.com/v/vspfile...115-005-2T.jpg

.... but these aren't really drawers, right - they are just holders for systainers, right ? You wouldn't just use the drawers by themselves...

And depending on the heights of the various systainers that I would put into this strongbox, I would not necessarily need seven of them - perhaps only four ?

The densest configuration with all seven drawers would hold 7 systainer I units, yes ?

Finally, do the drawers hold only basic systainers, or will they also hold SORTainers and T-Loc as well ?

Thanks very much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Getting started ...

The high stacked units you see are the Sysports. They can be stacked (and hopefully bolted for safety) which is why they are that high. The sysports will hold all manner of systainers and sortainers including the newer t loc models. You just set the height of the pull out trays to fit the various sizes. And you are right about the 7 being just the sys 1's. Other combos lead to less storage in each sysport. They're very expensive for what they do and many members have built their own versions. On the other hand, they work great and are easy to build . I currently have 5 and need a few more (and the floor space to hold them.

The strongboxes are a different smaller product.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:13 AM

What is the difference between a systainer port and a strongbox ?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

to our forum!

The strongboxes and systainer ports are two separate products, and are made to store different type boxes. The systainer ports are what are shown in the photos in the link you included. Festool used to offer the two sizes shown, but now only sell the taller ones. The shorter ports on the top are still available through the Tanos distributors -- Tanos makes these storage products. Either size has adjustable shelving to accommodate the various size systainers. The systainer ports do come with casters, but they are not made to bolt together as a stack as they come from the factory. They do, however, have mounting holes in the rear such that you can bolt them to a wall from the inside to prevent someone from rolling them away...

The strongboxes are a different animal. They are built to store rack-boxes, that to my knowledge only come in the one size (height). These rack-boxes are made to store screws and other hardware.

By the way, that photo that you linked to is not someone's shop, but rather a retail display.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 AM

Ok, thank you for these helpful responses.

I think I will be getting a "sysport".

Is there any reason now to get classic systainers, or are the t-loc units better in every regard ?

Am I correct that the "drawer systainers", or sortainers, do not come in t-loc form, so I have to get them in "classic" style anyway ?

Finally, what am I looking at here:

http://img5.billiger.de/a/321/201496861_L.jpg

that's an image for an extra carry handle, but it is showing it attached to the side of the systainer, not the top - is that an option ? I don't see that in any other picture...

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

After a little more research, I may not be correct about the strongbox -- so, please disregard what I posted above about that product. I do own the systainer ports, so that information is correct. So, I am also interested in learning the differences between the systainer port and the strongbox... Maybe it is as simple as two names for the same product -- but the Festool systainer ports do only come with five (5) drawers, although you can order more drawers separately as needed.

Currently, only Festool is using the newer T-Loc systainers -- the classic sustainers are still available via Tanos dealers and are used by some other brands of tool manufacturers.

The new T-Locs are quicker and easier to open and close, and also to latch and unlatch from a stack. Latches on the classics are often hard to unclasp, but that is easily fixed by applying a little dab of wax. Latching the classics seems much more positive to me.

Sortainers will not be made in the T-Loc style. So yes, you are correct. Sortainers and any classic sustainers can only attach to below a T-Loc.

The handle you linked to is an accessory for the new T-Locs. IIRC, that optional handle fits into the card/label slots on either side of the front of the T-Loc.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
So, I am also interested in learning the differences between the systainer port and the strongbox...

Does anyone know ?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The Sysports pictured as a whole wall in the first link are in Festool USAs shop in Lebanon, IN. Some are full height and some are 1/2 height (no longer available). They are permanently attached to the wall. Individual sysports are normally mounted on casters so they can be easily moved.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

I did a little more research and found that the Festool Systainer Port and the Tanos Strongbox do appear to be two (2) separate products, and differ in more ways than simply the color and brand label.

First off, the strongbox is a tad narrower than the systainer port -- well, 14mm narrower -- but, otherwise the same height and depth. Then, if you examine product photos of the drawers you will notice that they differ too. Additionally, it looks as if each drawer in a strongbox has a button on the left side, where a systainer port has a single release button on the top. While the systainer port does come with casters that you can install, or not, there is no mention of casters with the strongbox. And, it looks like the strongbox is sold without drawers, while the systainer port comes with five (5) drawers -- each type drawer is also available separately.

Without any further information, I can only imagine that, like the systainer port, the strongbox also accepts systainers of various sizes (heights.) My best guess would be that the strongbox is simply the updated version of the original systainer port -- the release buttons on each drawer being the upgrade. The newer T-Loc systainers are only available with the Festool brand name -- wonder if Festool will be updating their systainer port too?

Last edited by Corwin; 10-22-2012 at 04:34 AM.