talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer

Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer Store, transport, organize with Systainers, Sortainers, including custom inserts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Waterproof

Hi,
I was trying to figure out exactly how "Waterproof" systainers are. I have recently purchased a number of Festool tools as well as additional systainers to transport tools to and from the boats I work on. The Tanos website reads that it's not waterproof but protects splash water. I have also read on other forums praise for how waterproof it is. Can I leave a tool in a systainer in the back of my truck here in Florida for a downpoor, or do I need to devise some sort of an alternative transport for my tools.

The idea of having a modular system to roll down a dock is very appealing.....however I don't want to have to run to my truck everytime a shower looms.

Cheers,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Waterproof

Welcome to the forum. It's a very good question you raise.

The systainers have a small 1/8" lip on the inside. I certainly wouldn't call it waterproof but it should work for most showers and light rain storms. I don't know if I would trust it with a valuable tool inside during a Florida downpour with strong winds though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks Qwas....
I figured as much. Not that I want to leave the tools in the bed of my truck for extended periods of time anyway........might walk off on their own. Don't have a tonneau cover yet.....time to get one to at least conceal the tools for the day or have the old lady make up a couple of rain fly's for each stack.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddw View Post
Thanks Qwas....
I figured as much. Not that I want to leave the tools in the bed of my truck for extended periods of time anyway........might walk off on their own. Don't have a tonneau cover yet.....time to get one to at least conceal the tools for the day or have the old lady make up a couple of rain fly's for each stack.
The garden hose and nozzle test produced water inside.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Agree with everyone on this, PLUS 1 on "Splash Rated". Not as watertight as a Pelican Case, but easier to stack and roll around on a dolly
Maybe add a small tarp for your dockside work,just in case
Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your reply. Just purchased the Sunbrella canvas last night to start making custom rain flys for each stack...... Might be awhile before they're finished but will post pictures when they're done.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your reply. Just purchased the Sunbrella canvas last night to start making custom rain flys for each stack...... Might be awhile before they're finished but will post pictures when they're done.

Very cool idea !! Can't wait to see them. Please post about making them and the exact fabric used , cost , etc.

This means I will need to add a Systainer into my site kit to hold the covers

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 08-17-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Started looking after seeing the water in my systainer and posting here. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Peter
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Although I have not kitted myself out with a systainer solution yet (I'm new here) my plan is to use systainers for my shop and property and any rough tool transportation (back of my truck, might be rain, snow, etc.) will be in the Dewalt toughsystem cases.

They are very burly, have a rubber gasket closure, are ip65 rated for pressure water resistance and dust intrusion (with even a pressure relief valve on top) and are very inexpensive.

So tool storage and organization, and moving things around in a modular fashion around my shop/property will all be in systainers, but when it's time for a trip (or exposure to the elements) I will transfer the needed items into a toughsystem case.

For $200 you can have two small and two medium sized toughsystem cases sitting in reserve for such occasions. This plan may not be suitable for everyones use case.

BTW, in delving into all this research (systainer, L-Boxx, toughsystem, etc.) it really surprises me that neither systainer nor sortimo/bosch (l-boxx) has gasketed units as an option ...
Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 PM

I suspect Tanos does not feel the associated costs fit into their game plan for the bulk of what they make and who they provide to. Welcome to www.pelican.com - Pelican Products is a global leader in the design and manufacture of advanced lighting systems and virtually indestructible cases. has already established themselves as the frontrunner in that niche. Competing with them would be a challenge.

Tags
systainer, waterproof