talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer

Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer Store, transport, organize with Systainers, Sortainers, including custom inserts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Complete Pneumatic Gun System in Systainer

I finally got this together. I had been using the Sys - IV from my TS55 for a while in sort of a hodge podge test set up. But I now have a dedicated unit that works great. The three components make an easy to carry stack that also serves as a mobile stand on site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Systainer - IV contains everything except the fasteners and a few small parts. The fasteners are in the Sortainer for easy access to any type or size. I only have a few strips of fasteners in the pic but the drawers could hold quite a lot of them.

All the stuff in the following pic is in the Systainer and easy to access. Three or four nailguns will fit depending on the size- I have a 15ga, 18ga, 23ga, as my standard set up. Also two regulators, two coil hoses, and three 9 oz CO2 bottles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I have wanted on site has been a place to put the nail gun down without worrying about the hose or constantly having to move them out of the way, but also have them handy. I took advantage of the rectangular holes at the front of the Systainer to support hanging hooks. I used some hard maple sized to slip in snuggly. The maple uprights only go in about 2" but they are plenty sturdy and don't sag or waiver at all. A couple utility hooks from the Big Box worked perfectly.

The other thing I wanted was to be able to easily move the set up around the room I was working in. The roll board allows me to simple move the whole thing from one end of a built in to the other or where ever else it needs to go. I can roll it close to use and then hang the gun while I position another piece. Then just roll it out of the way while doing other work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The regulator (or two) just screw on to the bottles and they are kept standing upright in the Systainer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The diagonal divider worked out for getting everything in. The 15ga needs quite a bit of length in the Systainer. The short divider is glued into a groove in the diagonal one. They are just placed in and the corners that the diagonal one slides into keep it in place. The bottom has the thin Tanos foam , and the lid has the black closed cell foam like the one in the Domino assortment. The two work to gether to keep the bottles from rattling around.

I bought colored thread protectors for the CO2 bottles. I kept having the problem of not knowing which one I had started using. In this case I use- Black for full, Green for partial/ in use, Red for empty.

The unit stands 22" tall closed up, and 29" from the floor to the hanging point on the hooks when set up for use. One alternative would be to use the large drawer Sortainer if you want to carry boxes of fasteners. This will add 4" to the height. And a lot of weight if yo put a bunch of full boxes in.

It is great to be able to just pick up this one stack and have a complete pop up pneumatic system. Having the hooks to hold the guns is tremendously handy on site.

For more on the CO2 System see this thread - http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/non-fe...c-nailers.html

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 06-27-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Complete Pneumatic Gun System in Systainer

Quote:
I took advantage of the rectangular holes at the front of the Systainer to support hanging hooks. I used some hard maple sized to slip in snuggly. The maple uprights only go in about 2" but they are plenty sturdy and don't sag or waiver at all. A couple utility hooks from the Big Box worked perfectly.
AFAIK, that's an original idea. I've never seen anyone use those holes before.

Next improvement would be for the uprights to store in the holes. They can protrude slightly on the top and not interfere with the lid. Pull'em up and spring-loaded pins pop out to keep them up. Maybe some kind of hook that folds into the upright, or a separate one that's easily attached/detached.

Ned

Last edited by NedYoung; 06-27-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A very slick idea.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Really cool! One question: I may be living behind the moon or so, but I have never seen these little compressed air bottles.... where can you get them?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Really cool! One question: I may be living behind the moon or so, but I have never seen these little compressed air bottles.... where can you get them?

They are the same as the ones used for paintball. Any paintball supplier should have them. Lowes has them for exchange (empty/fill) in the US because they sell the Kobalt regulator. Walmart, Dick's also have them and will refill them. I have the 9 oz 20 oz is also popular. See here too- http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/non-fe...c-nailers.html

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 06-27-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
They are the same as the ones used for paintball. Any paintball supplier should have them. Lowes has them for exchange (empty/fill) in the US because they sell the Kobalt regulator. Walmart, Dick's also have them and will refill them. I have the 9 oz 20 oz is also popular. See here too- http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/non-fe...c-nailers.html

Seth
How much are they initially, how much is a refill and how long does it take to use them up?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

I do not remember how much the cylinders (bottles) cost seperately- somewhere around $20 - $30. One empty comes with the regulator. You should definetly have at least two so that you have a back up when one runs out. I pasted my initial post from the other thread on the CO2 system below in green- http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/non-fe...c-nailers.html

I have been using a CO2 system for my nailers on site work. It consists of a regulator with a paintball type CO2 tank (bottle) screwed to it. Comes with a short coil hose. You could put whatever hose you like on it though (standard fittings). And it can be clipped to your belt. The one I have is from Lowes under the Kobalt name. But I think it is made by Jac Pac.

It comes with one 9 oz bottle. But other sizes are available 12 and 20 are common. I can't really say how many shots a bottle will deliver because I have not kept track. I often don't use more than 20 brads or finish nails on an install. I am thinking though, that a 9 oz will get at least 100 shots with an 18ga. It is a little hard to tell because my use is sporadic. And you loose some everytime the tank is disconnected. So a larger job would get more shots than several small jobs.

It is very handy. I can put a 15ga, 18ga, 1/4" stapler, pinner, two or three 9oz bottles, regulator, hose, and fasteners in a Systainer - IV. When in use the regulator belt clip will also clip on the side of the open Systainer if I don't want it on my belt. It is great being able to just pick up the Systainer and have the whole deal ready to go.

Many places fill the bottles now for paintball use - Dick's, Walmart, etc. 9oz is $2 -$3 per fill. 20oz is $4-$5. Or they can be exchanged for full ones at Lowes much like a propane tank swap works. But this costs about $7.00 for the 9oz. So refills are a much better deal.

Seth
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 PM

That looks like a fantastic system! I could use something like that. I really wanted a Prebena Airtainer, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to import them here. I like the idea of the CO2 bottles. Much lighter, and no noise!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
That looks like a fantastic system! I could use something like that. I really wanted a Prebena Airtainer, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to import them here. I like the idea of the CO2 bottles. Much lighter, and no noise!

Yup, that Probena looks good and is probably a great way to move a compressor around. But one of the things I like about the set up I put together is that the whole system is in one compact package. I just used it today and being able to just roll it around as needed is great!

I also found that if I only have one gun in use the second hanging hook is a good place to hang my hearing protectors.

Seth
Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM

I wonder if my Senco SFN40 will fit in there? I think it's a bit larger than the PC. I might try something like that, even if it's only for my brad and pin nailer. I don't use the 15g finish nailer that much anyway. Would be great for some smaller jobs where I don't want to haul my compressor around. Very neat and tidy. I like the idea of the Sortainer and wheels too. Really a brilliant set-up.