talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer

Festool and Tanos - All Things Systainer Store, transport, organize with Systainers, Sortainers, including custom inserts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 AM

Default Sortainers , Drawer Systainers

Drawer Systainers or Sortainers as Festool calls them are made by Tanos and are the companion to Systainers. They come in a variety of sizes and configurations and latch to Systainers, CT Dust Extractors, and the Rolling Pallet.

The combination of Systainers and Sortainers can be used to make excellent portable or shop tool units. EX- drill in a Systainer on top of a Sortainer with screws and bits. Below are pics and description of what is available and a few options as well.

There are three sizes of Sortainers- and they match the outside dimension size of Systainers - I , III, and IV. Currently Festool only makes / sells them in the Systainer -III size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are pics of the standard drawer configurations as they are sold. Festool and Tanos offer the same variations in the middle Sys- III size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small and medium drawers can be freely rearranged. Two small drawers fit in any spot that a medium drawer will and vice versa. The pic below shows some possibilties. Drawers can also be purchased seperately or exchanged between units. Which opens up a few more possible arrangements beyond what comes with each unit. This also allows for re-arrangement after you have everything sorted. And it would also be possible to set up extra drawers for job specific swap outs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drawers can also be placed in, and operated just the same from the back side of the units. If for some reason you want access to different ones from opposite sides or perhaps two people working out of one unit. The other place this might be useful is when attached to a CT since the unit can only latch on in one direction. However they can only be pulled open towards the side the latch is on. They can not be pushed through to open on the opposite side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drawers latch closed with a click and are quite secure. The latch is pushed up to open the drawer. And it is spring loaded. The drawer can NOT be left closed but unlatched. When you slide it shut it clicks in place. Two barbs as well as the bottom edge of the latch are pushed down into mating slots by the completely enclosed spring latch mechanism. I think it would take something really odd or some serious force to have them open by accident.

It is also very easy to completely remove the drawers. Pull them all the way to the front where they will stop then tip up slightly and pull them out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The units come with two deviders per drawer. The small and medium have seven positions for them, and the large has four locations. I do not think that deviders are provided with drawers that are purchased seperately, but the deviders can also be purchased alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each drawer has a slot for an included label holder and the Large drawer has three label positions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small and medium drawers can get jammed if short items like a pile of screws end up sticking upward. I would say that for screws less than two inches long the compartments should only be filled about half way to the top, and or allow a little wiggle room, area wise.

The large drawer can hold quite a lot of stuff. It is about the size of a Systainer - I.

All the drawers are about 11" deep / long.
Small and Medium are about 1 1/4" high.
Large is about 3 1/4" high.
Small is about 3" wide.
Medium is about 6" wide.
Large is about 14" wide.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more latch info see here - Sortainer - Unit and Drawer Latches

For a custom drawer size see this thread - Custom Sortainer Drawer with How To

Last edited by SRSemenza; 12-27-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Sortainers , Drawers Systainers

Good post, Seth.

Have you (or anyone else) had experience with the Tanos Sysytainer extender? It makes any Systainer taller.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 AM

Hi,

Bump for those who have already viewed the post- I added the rest of the pics, and a bit more info here and there.

John, I have not used the extension yet.

Seth
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Nice photos Seth!

Have you ever taken apart a Sortainer -- specifically removing the sides from the top and bottom? I have considered changing two of my four-drawer Sortainers (the ones with the large drawer) into two Sortainers like those offered by Tanos -- making one like the shorter one (size of a Sys-1 with one row of drawers) and another like the taller one (size of a Sys-4 with the two large drawers) -- but have been hesitant on disassembling the sides.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Nice photos Seth!

Have you ever taken apart a Sortainer -- specifically removing the sides from the top and bottom? I have considered changing two of my four-drawer Sortainers (the ones with the large drawer) into two Sortainers like those offered by Tanos -- making one like the shorter one (size of a Sys-1 with one row of drawers) and another like the taller one (size of a Sys-4 with the two large drawers) -- but have been hesitant on disassembling the sides.

I have not taken one apart, but I did give a quick look inside with the same thought of customizing them. I did not investigate thoroughly but it looks like they are fit together with a sort of one way press fit. Might be really difficult to get apart with out just breaking or cutting. Not sure though.

You might be better off selling the two you have and just buying the two that you want now that they are available in the US. You would take a little loss but it might not be too bad.

Seth
Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Sortainers , Drawer Systainers

Thanks Seth! It looked like they might not come apart without breaking to me too. Guess I'll have to order one of those taller ones with the two large drawers.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Sortainers , Drawer Systainers

Thanks Seth. Great post with great photos.
What a difference the new camera makes.