talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Festool LS130 Duplex Linear Sander, LS 130

I have owned this sander for about a year and have used it on quite a few jobs.

General comments-

Dust collection is very good but not as good as it is on a ROS. The DC is also somewhat dependent on how much of the pad is on the work surface. It also varies depending on the shape of the pad. It is still very good , however. You can generally run the vac on full speed for good results especially when using contoured pads or on the edge of something.

It is comfortable to hold , but two hands are better than one. Some pad shapes are a little harder to control than others.

I found it jumpy and hard to control on speeds 1 - 3.

It is NOT an aggresive sander.

It is very useful for odd ball sanding jobs. Many little uses that are not obvious until you have it available.

The Systainer will hold a fair amount of abrasives , and 2 - 4 profiles. I put together an abrasive and pad Systainer which can be seen here http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/festoo...systainer.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get similar sanding results to an ROS - you need to go a grit or two coarser for material removal, and two or three grits finer for finish quality. EX.- material removal the same as 150gr with ROS = about 100 on the Duplex. Finish smoothness of 150gr on ROS= 180 -240 on Duplex. It does a better job and works faster by not skipping grits. I routinely go from 100 to 150 , skipping 120 with my ROS but the LS130 is better not doing this.

You can go quite quickly with each grit. Once the LS130 has scratched the surface with the chosen grit don't dwell just move to the next. The linear motion causes it to simply sand the same grit pattern and not actually do anymore smoothing. You can see this by putting coarse paper such as Cristal 60 on. A quick pass with each grit will get the desired results. I find that it takes 320 before the scratch pattern really starts to disappear on most woods.

The abrasive line up that I am using is - Cristal 60, Rubin 100, Rubin 120, Rubin, 150, Brilliant 180, Brilliant 240, Brilliant 320, Brilliant 400. This is serving quite well. I suspect tha anything below Cristal 60 will not work very well because the sander has a short stroke.

Controling the sander takes a little getting used to. It wants to walk forwrad or backwards depending on where you apply a little pressure. I do find that using some down force in can help control it and keep it doing its job. It is not difficult to control it just takes a little practice, especially when it is new and hasn't been broken in yet.

Below you will see a series of photos showing the best way I have found to get the paper to conform tightly to the profiles. Start at one long edge and roll the paper into or onto the profile.

My first use of the LS130 , and the reason I had purchased it , was to sand 3/4" wide edges on a shelf job. I had a lot of that to do and thought it would be perfect for it. After doing some edges I was not really impressed , and even considered taking it back. After using it on other things I discovered its usefullness. However for flat edges I prefer my ETS150 with the hard pad and speed set to 4.

I also used it for a lot of 3/8" roundovers. The 6mm radius pad fits this well. This is where it really starts to shine. You end up with even smooth roundovers. They just plain look better than doing it by hand or any other method I have tried. It seems to excell at removing router marks. I think this is because it runs perpendicular to the marks left by most bits, and wipes them out quickly.

I have used it to ease the edge of many things too. The flat pad works, but you can also use the radius pad to get both edges at the same time by stradling the piece.

I use it to do final shaping of rounded corners. Chop the corner off at a 45. Then use the LS130 to sand to the final line. It does this quickly , controlled, and well.

On the sides of some shelf units I was building is a visual relief lip of about 1/16" where the solid wood edge meets the plywood. There is a pic showing a ROS in this sanding position, and the danger it poses of slicing under the plywood veneer. The a pic of the LS130 in the same position. The linear motion removes the risk to the veneer. I was able to sand along this edge with no damage to the plywood.

Also there is a pic of the sander on a 1" wide piece attched to a perpedicular piece. The LS130 is against the perpendicular piece. I was able to sand this with no damage to the piece that it ran against.

It was handy to sand to a scribe line on this curved piece.

It did a great job of sanding these flutes. And put a little bevel on the inside edge softening the look , just right.

Here I am sanding the edge of a tray after a finish was applied to the field. With a litttle care I was abel to do this with out touching/ removing the adjacent finish.

The profile pads can be useful for hand sanding as well.

Overall I like the sander a lot. But not for everything that I orginally thought I would. It does what it is intended to do very well. If you are sanding a few feet it is probably faster to do it by hand. But when you have 80 - 100 feet of edges the LS130 is the right tool.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 02-14-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Festool LS130 Duplex Linear Sander, LS 130

Seth - thanks so much for the very balanced review. I seem to remember that you can carve your own profiles for it - did you do that?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Seth - thanks so much for the very balanced review. I seem to remember that you can carve your own profiles for it - did you do that?

Hi,

I have not used the make your own kit yet. I plan to buy one soon, so that I have it when the need arises. When it happens I will add an update. I know that some other users on tF have used it. I seem to remember that they said it worked well. You don't actually have to carve the shape. The sander sands the blank into the profile.

Seth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 AM

Thanks Seth,

It si definitely something to consider for my sander collection

Scott W.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

You take some PSA backed sandpaper (80 to 120 grit) and put it into the profile you want to sand. You than take the blank and mount it into the sander without sandpaper. Run the sander on the profile and the reverse shape is abraded into the DIY blank.

Keep in mind that the LS130 is great for profiles but not all profiles. If you have small details in the profiles or a sharp arris, these fine details will likely be erased.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSproul View Post
You take some PSA backed sandpaper (80 to 120 grit) and put it into the profile you want to sand. You than take the blank and mount it into the sander without sandpaper. Run the sander on the profile and the reverse shape is abraded into the DIY blank.

Keep in mind that the LS130 is great for profiles but not all profiles. If you have small details in the profiles or a sharp arris, these fine details will likely be erased.
The kit includes everything you need to match a profile.
I haven't used it yet but Per has. He said it worked fine.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM

We used a custom shape on the Bar rails.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM

Yes the kit works very good, I used it on crown joints. Made them invisible.
I wanted to add that its a great sanding block as well.

Mirko
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Also it does a better job by not skipping grits. For example I routinely skip 120, going from 100 straight to 150 with my%2
Thanks for the review Seth. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. I was checking one out at Timmy's place, but didn't get it yet. Feels like a real good sander and I'd love to try one on face frames and such. BTW Brian (Festool Dude) said that they actually did timed tests skipping and not skipping grits and said you'd save quite a bit of time when sanding by not skipping grits. I guess it takes longer for a higher grit to get rid of all the swirls and marks than it takes to change paper and sand it right. makes sense...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 PM

Hi,

This is just a self promoting bump. I finally got this review redone. It had been messed up from computer / software troubles. It should be back up and running now.

Seth