talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Inactive Member

Default Any good Copy Editors out there?

I finished the first round of changes to the next revision of the Domino manual, but I am too close to this to even be able to read it any more (i.e. I am sick of looking at it:p)

This revision is for two primary reasons: 1) For the new fence design, and 2) for legal edits, and oops, I lied; 3) some replacement graphics for a few crappy ones.

For those that aren't aware, the new fence has a few improvements:
  • The sight glass has been extended to be closer to the fence to make it easier to align with a pencil mark. It also includes a magnifying curve at the edge to make it easier to see a thin line.
  • The vertical guides have a slightly rougher grind to make the fence less prone to drifting under use. The original guides were ground very smooth and the fence could slip when clamped.
  • The guide pins have been replaced with edge stop dogs. These can be held in the retracted position to avoid getting inadvertently caught in adjacent mortises and to avoid pushing the Domino away from the workpiece. They also overcome the problem of the pins getting stuck in the retracted position if they get glue on them.
I need to send this version off to the attorney for his review, but since his review process is rather dogged and slow, I want to make sure I catch any stupid mistakes first. Anyone want to look this over and see if there is anything I screwed up or overlooked? I really haven't even reviewed this myself because I just can't seem to get my eyes to stop crossing.:sdrool:

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/fest..._DF_500_R2.pdf
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Any good Copy Editors out there?

if you can stand waiting until tonight I'll have a look. Gladly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Rick,

I'm going through it now. First thing I see is at the bottom of page 5, under Intended Use...I assume you meant joiner and not jointer as printed in the first sentence... "The Domino tenon jointer"

Page 12 -- Last sentence under Using the Locating Pins or Edge Stop Dogs..."The locating pins cannot be locked retracted." Maybe that's supposed to have a conjunction? Or 'locked in the retracted position'?

Page 19 -- Last paragraph under Tips For Applying Glue needs capitalization... "when applying glue to the mortise slot"

Best,
Steve

Last edited by SteveTappan; 08-27-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: updated list
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTappan View Post
Rick,

I'm going through it now. First thing I see is at the bottom of page 5, under Intended Use...I assume you meant joiner and not jointer as printed in the first sentence... "The Domino tenon jointer"

Best,
Steve

Eiji,

Can you please get all over this and show us how many bone head mistakes Rick has made? :s tirthepot:
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Eiji,

Can you please get all over this and show us how many bone head mistakes Rick has made? :s tirthepot:
Oh geez...payback's gonna be a ##### isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTappan View Post
Rick,

Page 12 -- Last sentence under Using the Locating Pins or Edge Stop Dogs..."The locating pins cannot be locked retracted." Maybe that's supposed to have a conjunction? Or 'locked in the retracted position'?

Page 19 -- Last paragraph under Tips For Applying Glue needs capitalization... "when applying glue to the mortise slot"

Best,
Steve
This is good. This is the kind of stuff that I can never spot, and I don't have access to my old copy editor anymore.

Last month when the attorney sent me a copy of IEC 60745 part 2-19, I am thinking, "why are you sending me this supplemental section on Jointers?" It wasn't until I had skimmed halfway though the document that I discovered a picture of a biscuit joiner and realized the standard was for joiners, not jointers.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 AM

Should this also be on page 1 along with the old style?

Last edited by lspencer98; 08-28-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added text
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 AM

Rick it looks pretty good... I almost read the whole thing

I did not see in the pics, the new magnifying window you described?
Or am I on drugs?

Mirko
Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Eiji,

I'm on it