talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

It appears that I will be an 'early adopter' of the new to USA Shinex Polisher. I'm working on getting my first video review made with it, once I get all the details correct. This isn't a high level affair like a Burrell Production , but I want to show the Shinex in a fair light, so I'm working with a friend who owns an Exotic Car shop here in Chicago to run the tool through it's paces on whatever is in the shop at the time we're shooting. This means anything from a Ferrari to a '30s Racing Bugatti to something more late model since it's Spring now and all the 'toys' are getting the covers pulled off of them and made ready for the driving months. Sorry Hasslefactor, no planned boat bottom work at this time. But you could always borrow my Shinex and review the boat side of things yourself.
Should be fun, I've known Steve and Vic for years, they're well known in certain Ferrari circles since so many models have passed through their shop.
Once I get things more firmed up, I'll post more details.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 04-17-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Oh wow - I'm really interested in this tool, and can't wait to see your review!

One detail I've been curious about is how the Shinex "feels" in comparison to the Makita 9227c.
When I was getting ready to restore Black Magic's hull, I went shopping for the Makita and was delighted to find one locally.
Until I picked it up and tried to imagine using it.
I know people love them, but (to me) it just felt unbalanced, unwieldy, unmanageable, and HEAVY.
Which is how I ended up buying a Rotex 150 instead.

Anyway, the thing is....

Ever since Festool announced the Shinex, I've been wondering:
  • Is the Shinex more ergonomic than the Makita 9227c?
  • Or am I just a sissy?
  • Or all of the above.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Laurie, I got the chance the to try out the Shinex in Lebanon at a recent Festool door and drawer class. I never touched a polisher before but I was surprised at light and very easy the Shinex was to handle. I let someone with meaningful experience compare it to your Rotex for polishing.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM

From a standpoint of having a 6"/150mm pad size, some people are turned off to considering it as a viable polisher when they're used to covering more area with an 8" pad. However, the low weight has intrigued some people who've put up with a much heavier machine of some type for years. So, since I don't detail cars for a living, and have used a 6" pad for years for both polishes and waxing, this should be fun. It will beat my current sad method of sticking a 6" Griots Garage pad onto my old 5" Bosch RAS to work with, since any pressure over a light touch interferes with the sanders orbit, which meant I had trouble with damaged areas that require more pressure to fix since too much pressure worked against my old Bosch. I was planning to get the 150mm Rotex for a number of years, but never did. And now we get the Shinex here in the US.
Flex polishers are also highly regarded, and I'll look into that Makita that Laurie posted about as I think I know which model she's talking about.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Regarding the Makita 9227c: Laurie, if Festool's specs are correct, then the Shinex is coming in at 2lbs lighter than the 6.6 lbs of the Makita. For an all-out day hoisting a polisher around, that WOULD make a difference
And the Shinex is a tad lighter than the 150mm Rotex. I have 3 stock Festool Pads to use with the new Shinex, one coarse pad for major problems, a medium, which for me would be my normal all-around pad for a glaze or a polish, and a fine honeycomb style for waxing. There are lots of buffing pads out there, but I wanted to see how the Festool products work as a system with the new buffer/polisher. More to follow...

Last edited by Leakyroof; 04-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM

This (your review, I mean) is going to be VERY interesting.

Incidentally, Lake Country's 7.5" CCS pads ("sponges" in Festool-speak) fit the 6" backing plate ("pad" in Festool-speak) perfectly.
That additional diameter is great when you have lots of area to cover.
I also have all the Festool polishing accessories, but haven't used them yet.
I'll be looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them.

Have you read DanClark's threads about polishing cars with a Rotex?
If not, might be worth a look. They're really thorough.
I'm thinking lots of the info would probably apply to the Shinex as well.
Here are the links:

Part 1

Part 2

Have fun!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
This (your review, I mean) is going to be VERY interesting.

Incidentally, Lake Country's 7.5" CCS pads ("sponges" in Festool-speak) fit the 6" backing plate ("pad" in Festool-speak) perfectly.
That additional diameter is great when you have lots of area to cover.
I also have all the Festool polishing accessories, but haven't used them yet.
I'll be looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them.

Have you read DanClark's threads about polishing cars with a Rotex?
If not, might be worth a look. They're really thorough.
I'm thinking lots of the info would probably apply to the Shinex as well.
Here are the links:

Part 1

Part 2

Have fun!
Yes, I read his part 1 and 2 yesterday. The other thing I was going to say about "dual" usage tools where the manuf. is encouraging polishing and sanding uses with the tool is this. Make sure there isn't any hidden grit or dirt hiding in a crevice of the tool that could fall out onto the surface that you're trying to polish or wax. Doesn't take but a single stubborn fragment of aluminum oxide to get dragged around by the buffing pad. I was thinking of this again when I read the Makita spec sheet bragging that the buffer could sand as well[Watch that HIGH RPM level-3000 RPM, whew:p, with a wool bonnet or buffer pad, you'd easily burn some paint]
For this reason, with those type of tools like the Makita or a Rotex where for the sake of money/value, it's being used for multiple purposes, I highly stress gently cleaning of the machine or vacuuming the exterior of it to help pull out any hidden crud so this doesn't easily happen. Compressed air could also work, but there is always the risk of driving something INTO the tool, which you don't want to do. With a dedicated polisher, this risk decreases and you spend more time making sure you haven't gotten the wrong polish onto the wrong pad, mixing grit levels that way.
From a practical standpoint, I see the above happening if some uses the tool for way more sanding, then only uses it to polish or wax something once in awhile. Since alot of polishes turn a white haze when dry or drying, it's easy to have a tiny bit of crud fall into that mix and not notice it.
As an aside, I'm curious to see what the "lint" filter is on the Shinex whenIi get it. Stated purpose is to keep the crud out of the motor, like when someone cleans a old wool bonnet with a metal rake or cleaning tool.[Fuzz a-flying] Those Festool people think of everything.
The last thing I'd add is that for us in the car business, the most common seen "burn" mark with a buffing job that got out of hand is the top edge of a trunk lid. Don't see many burned door edges since the tool is being held for vertical work and that may change how much pressure the operator is putting on the door itself, see lots more trunks damaged, sometimes hoods, but usually trunks.:smad:
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM

All good points. I was obsessively careful about not getting my pads contaminated with the wrong grits.
But it never would have occurred to me to vacuum inside my Rotex.
Makes a lot of sense, though - definitely going to take your advice on that.

I'm really pleased to see Festool starting to focus on this market in the U.S.
It still seems crazy to me that I had to read German sailing forum pages in order to be sure that the Rotex would work well for my gelcoat project.

If the Shinex works as well as expected, I would think Festool could sell them by the thousands to body shops and auto enthusiasts.
Once that starts happening, the sailors and boatyards won't be far behind.

Go, Festool!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Shinex has arrived.............
Here is an early review, with some dimensions for some of the more "handy" in this group[ie Laurie and Rick]
18 ga cord on tool, about 12 1/2 feet long, no plug-it for this tool.
About 4.6 lbs, minus the cord and backing pad/polishing pad according to Festool.
Appox. 17 inches long, measure from the front "nose" of the tool to where the cord starts exiting the main body.
Tool height with factory backing pad/plate, appox 6 1/2"
Tool height from bottom of pad to top of "nose"/gear housing, 4 3/4"
Widest part of body is the gear housing, appox. 3" wide
Main body is appox 2 3/8" to 2 1/2" wide.

The gear housing or nose is the normal handholding spot for control while operating the tool, and is covered with technical plastic, which has that known Festool grip to it.
The tool is flipped on its back and supported by the large plastic moulding section seen on the top, when you need to change pads.
The flats on the polishing pad/backing pad are sized to 22mm or a 7/8" wrench. I did not see a wrench included in the box nor mentioned in the instructions. So, I checked with both a normal and thin sectioned wrench for fit. Either wrench will work fine as the flats on the pad aren't that shallow that a thin grind would be needed to clear any part of the machine. Simply put, you can run with anything in your tool box, no special wrench is needed.

The Shinex comes in an "old school" cardboard box. Who needs Mr. Burrell's swanky new T-Loc Systainers anyway......
Well, we all do, or something like it to transport the tool and some needed accessories like pads and possibly compounds. Soooo.
I bought my first Maxi-Systainer to store the tool and its goodies in. If you access German You-Tube videos of the Shinex in action, you may spy that it's being removed from a Maxi that has a molded insert like any other Festool. We didn't get that....
I knew this ahead of time, so it wasn't a rude shock. I suspect that adding a fitted sys to the price would change the price point too high for initial sales at this time here in the US since a Maxi is $105 roughly, with no foam inserts. Just a guess.

Here are some pictures as I played around with the polisher tonight.
And yes, it's all that I'd hoped it would be since this is the first Festool that I've bought sight unseen, with scant info to go on.
Slow Start, so you don't have a large torque jerk when starting.
Very easy to handle due to the low weight and nice distribution of what little is there. The switch is of the variable type, with a lock-on button to the side. Speed adjustment wheel is visible on the top of the tool.
Spindle lock button is the green one in the middle of the front gear housing.
Great power, easy to control, and as per usual Festool, it regulates the speed control well. Quiet, not alot of noise, esp for a right-angle tool. It helps that the RPMs are lower with a polisher when compared to the speed needed from a sander or grinder even.
All in all, a great addition to the RO 90 with its smaller 80mm pad assortment, with these 2 tools, I'm set for all my polishing needs.
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-coming-shinex-coming-014.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 AM

Life in a Maxi-Systainer, minus the now-on-order foam inserts
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-coming-shinex-coming-012.jpg