talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Great update full of information. Were you able to actually use any of the other competing polishers? What brand(s) were the favorite of the experts you talked with that poo-pooed the Shinex? What waxes & polishes were your favorites?
Thanks for the update.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,248
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Great update full of information. Were you able to actually use any of the other competing polishers? What brand(s) were the favorite of the experts you talked with that poo-pooed the Shinex? What waxes & polishes were your favorites?
Thanks for the update.
I played with a Snap-On model, which may, or may not actually be made by them, don't know if it's rebranded and made by some one else. Also looked the Dewalt model and an older Milwaukee model too.
Older Makita model, predates the 9227c that Laurie was looking at, and a Dynabrade model, electric, not pneumatic. The Dynabrade is the newest, and most closely resembles what Festool does with their tools.
Speed control dial in the same place, spindle lock for holding/pad changes. But appeared to be well made.
And all the above were heavy and larger than the Shinex, so you tire more easily with them, BUT, ARE able to run larger pads.
No one except my friend had a favorite really, more like, 'I got this for such and such price, it's held up well and I beat the hell out of it'. The Dynabrade owner[my buddy] had multiple buffers but the Dyna' was the latest he'd bought. For its weight and pad capacity, I'd say it[the Dynabrade] matches the specs of the larger Festool Pollux, which I'll never get to review as it's NAINA[durn....]
On waxes, polishes, lotions and potions, it's too subjective RONWEN. We ALL have our favorites, or tend to stick to a usual group/maker. As I've posted before, I've used lots of stuff, I currently give my money to Griots Garage since they treat all of their customers right, and I don't need a commerical salesperson to reply on since I buy so little product annually when compared to a shop that needs much more on a monthly basis.
Dan Clark stated his favs, others have theirs, I just like the quality of GG and doing business with them. Plus they're fun..
You generally have a lot to choose from with automotive finishing products, and it IS confusing out there[just ask hasslefactor....]
My buddy uses both 3M and Meguairs in his shop, along with other products and he has a lot riding on his work since the cars are either exotic, VERY rare, or current high dollar European models. Regarding the rare older models;some of which haven't been made in years, and have no body parts available if something gets screwed up.
I still remember an Aston Martin Lagonda project that took 3 years.
I've also seen them wait months for a new fender from Ferrari that arrived rusted and poorly packed. So it goes....
He's bowing out of doing much work anymore since he doesn't feel his eyes are what they used to be with regards to color matching and detail work. I feel for him.
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM
FredWest's Avatar
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 3,026
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
SHINEX update-4-29-11: OK, I've buffed two cars fullywith the polisher, and fully waxed one of them with it as well.[the other was waxed by hand] I've also worked on hoods and trunks of several other vehicles to try out new pads as I buy them[hey, we're Festool nuts, we don't tend to own ONE of anything..]
I've also scouted around and compared the Shinex to other polishers in friends shops.
The Good: It's much lighter and smaller than other polishers without falling into a "mini" category like a 4 inch or 3 inch polisher would. This means you're much less likely to experience fatigue with hours of use.
A real plus if you're faced with alot of work to do.

Ergonomics of the tool:, very smooth, easy to grip, all the key areas are coated with a rubberized type that prevents slipping of your hands when using the polisher. I tend to never use the Aux. handle that was supplied with the Shinex since I hold the tool at the front, or nose. The geardrive area is insulated away from the outer plastic shell with some air space, and also the nose is covered with the grip material. This all lends to low heat transfer from the geardrive even with hours of usage from what I find.

The cord, at appox 12 feet long is longer than some competing models, but also shorter than others, especially if they're ordered with a extra long cord option that some makers offer.
Since the Shinex is listed for 10amps of a motor, the cord gauge is a smaller 18ga, instead of a heavier 16ga. This helps too in that you typically have the cord drapped over your shoulder when working on a vehicle to prevent any marring of the paint from the power cord dragging on the car's surface.
So, the cord seems to be the middle of the road with regards to length. Add a 14ga or 12 ga ext. cord if need be, and you've handled that problem for outlets that are far away from the polisher when you're using it.

The Shinex has a splindle lock for holding the spindle in place when you're installing the backing plate, or polishing pad as Festool calls it. While they probably don't think you need anything more than this, I have always added just a touch of a wrench on the flats of the backing plate to make doubly sure it's not going to go flying once the tool is turned on.

The spindle is 14mm, which IS smaller than the Nominal 5/8" spindles seen here in the North American market. Even if Festool needed to increase the shaft to 16mm to be on a par with the US common spec, they apparently don't feel the need to upset their pad stock and design spec since the Festool larger capacity Pollux polisher,[again NAINA!] with its 180mm spec pad uses a 14mm spindle also[ Thanks to Hasslefactor for letting me know of the tool's existence]
Festool Stock Polishing Pads: I now own 5 of the 150mm pads[I know, they're like everything else Festool, breed like rabbits] The quality level is high in all depts. Even foam density throughout the pad, ink on the pads haven't smudged or run yet with several washings. Hook and Loop, aka Velcro, holds REALLY firmly to the backing plate/pad. I highly recommend the honeycomb or waffle versions for fine waxing. Soft and flexible enough to follow complex contours, but seem to be rugged enough that they don't fall apart with repeated uses and cleanings

Which, leads us to the bad, or perceived bad about the Shinex. That 6 inch/150mm max pad size.
I've talked to numerous people who either detail cars, or paint them regarding the Shinex and its smaller pad size. They've dismissed the tool's small pad capacity out of hand, almost to a person, but praised its low weight, ergonomics, and Festools quality.:smad: Anddd, wouldn't ever buy one, so they say.....
While I've yet to talk to anyone who works with Solid Surfaces for a living, I'm told that someone here in the US agreed to buy the Shinex in large enough numbers to justify Festool bringing it in. I'm grateful for that company or person, as the people I've talked to here in the Midwest seem a "hard sell" on the tool. We may never have gotten it if THAT was the prevailing attitude. SOOOOO, somebody bought them, lots of them, and helped me get mine.[take that, NAINA....]
On the POLLUX, the Shinex's larger cousin, it's about double the cost of the Shinex, which at $400, with no systainer, is alot to swallow as well.:p
And the Pollux has a 1500watt motor, which means you're close to the capacity of a nominal 15 amp shop or household circuit, esp. if lights or something else is turned on while using the tool.
With the Shinex, you take a bit more time due to the smaller pad, you share loads on a standard 15amp circuit easily without fear of popping a breaker for the most part, and you really smile when you're done, since your task came out gleaming.
Again, thank whoever had the LARGE hand in bringing the Shinex to NA, as even Fred West couldn't buy enough of them to make it worth Festool's while[well, maybe he could, he's pretty impressive..]
Afterthoughts: I love the tool, I think that's clear. However, due to the price and pad pax size, don't expect a huge following here in the North American marker when just about ALL other available polishers are less than the Shinex AND generally rated for a large 8 inch pad all day long.
If there's ever a Festool gathering, and all tool owners are arranged by machine type, you MAY only see me holding the Shinex sign for this group.
But, I WILL hold it proudly.. Video to follow soon, I'm sweet talking a few good people to help me out with that. Thanks for looking
Leaky,

Thank you, I think. However, I really never buy more than one for myself so I am incapable of driving a product from Festool to the market. I wish I could buy NYET. I have a question for you. I have never used a power polisher before getting the Shinex. Exactly or as close as possible how much faster would a seven or eight inch pad made your job on the two cars? I am with you in thanking whomever bought enough of these to bring them into the USA. Do you anticipate the Pollux coming in as well? I figure that someone as knowledgeable as you must have your ear to the ground and hear the whispers coming out of FestoolUSA.

Anyway, thank you for the great review.:sign0173: :sign0173:

Fred
__________________
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,248
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Hmm, good question Fred. The problem is, for me, that it's been so long since I worked with the larger pads like everyone still does, that I'd have to do a run back to back on the same vehicle, with one size, then the other, to really answer you.
A lot of this may be purely subjective on the part of people who are dismissing the Shinex without trying it, and its smaller pad[its its ITS]
For my smaller vehicles, I've never complained about using a 6" pad. For someone's boat however, it could really matter when you get into much larger surface area. Kind of like a Rotex 125 versus a Fein 8" sander, or RO 150 if you like.
I have zero knowledge about incoming future products, that's why I hang on every word of some people around here, and then quietly PM Hasslefactor to get the straight facts...... [Hey, I'm a man who ASKS for directions and isn't afraid to say it, mainly cause I have a lousy sense of direction]
Truthfully, she directed me, and some other people who sell Festool, to the POLLUX. At double the price of the Shinex, it's way, way above any polisher on the "common" market here in the US . But you never know, if the Shinex takes off, and the price on the Pollux drops if it's ever brought into the NA market, who knows.
The Pollux LOOKS alot like the electric Dynabrade that I played with. Square gearhead drive, covered in plastic, very similar in looks. Not sure about the weight between the 2 models, but I'd rather have my Shinex since it's[it's it's IT'S:p] lighter than the Pollux by nearly half.
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Posts: 4,820
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
I played with a Snap-On model, which may, or may not actually be made by them, don't know if it's rebranded and made by some one else. Also looked the Dewalt model and an older Milwaukee model too.
Older Makita model, predates the 9227c that Laurie was looking at, and a Dynabrade model, electric, not pneumatic. The Dynabrade is the newest, and most closely resembles what Festool does with their tools.
Speed control dial in the same place, spindle lock for holding/pad changes. But appeared to be well made.
And all the above were heavy and larger than the Shinex, so you tire more easily with them, BUT, ARE able to run larger pads.
No one except my friend had a favorite really, more like, 'I got this for such and such price, it's held up well and I beat the hell out of it'. The Dynabrade owner[my buddy] had multiple buffers but the Dyna' was the latest he'd bought. For its weight and pad capacity, I'd say it[the Dynabrade] matches the specs of the larger Festool Pollux, which I'll never get to review as it's NAINA[durn....]
On waxes, polishes, lotions and potions, it's too subjective RONWEN. We ALL have our favorites, or tend to stick to a usual group/maker. As I've posted before, I've used lots of stuff, I currently give my money to Griots Garage since they treat all of their customers right, and I don't need a commerical salesperson to reply on since I buy so little product annually when compared to a shop that needs much more on a monthly basis.
Dan Clark stated his favs, others have theirs, I just like the quality of GG and doing business with them. Plus they're fun..
You generally have a lot to choose from with automotive finishing products, and it IS confusing out there[just ask hasslefactor....]
My buddy uses both 3M and Meguairs in his shop, along with other products and he has a lot riding on his work since the cars are either exotic, VERY rare, or current high dollar European models. Regarding the rare older models;some of which haven't been made in years, and have no body parts available if something gets screwed up.
I still remember an Aston Martin Lagonda project that took 3 years.
I've also seen them wait months for a new fender from Ferrari that arrived rusted and poorly packed. So it goes....
He's bowing out of doing much work anymore since he doesn't feel his eyes are what they used to be with regards to color matching and detail work. I feel for him.

I am going to SHOCK by telling that I haven't waxed or polished a car since i was in high school working for a car dealership... 44 years ago.
Now that I'm retired I'm finding pleasure in those simple things that working long hours & traveling didn't allow for. I've been checking out your favorite site and also the one that Laurie posted & they both seem to have everything you ever wanted for car care.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
FredWest's Avatar
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 3,026
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I am going to SHOCK by telling that I haven't waxed or polished a car since i was in high school working for a car dealership... 44 years ago.
Now that I'm retired I'm finding pleasure in those simple things that working long hours & traveling didn't allow for. I've been checking out your favorite site and also the one that Laurie posted & they both seem to have everything you ever wanted for car care.
Ron,

It has not been quite as long for me but probably verging on 30 years. I had to use a smaller big eek as you have me beaten by 14 years. :sign0016: However, now that I have the Shinex I am going to try again.

Fred
__________________
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 1,252
Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Excellent review, Leaky!
Looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

One (warning: possibly stupid) question:

Given how heavy all the tools in this class seem to be,
and how often they are used vertically, I'm just wondering...
... do people who use them on cars ever suspend them?

For example, like this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,248
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Excellent review, Leaky!
Looking forward to seeing this thing in action.

One (warning: possibly stupid) question:

Given how heavy all the tools in this class seem to be,
and how often they are used vertically, I'm just wondering...
... do people who use them on cars ever suspend them?

For example, like this.
No, not really needed. With your largest horizontal surfaces like the trunk, hood and roof, gravity is workig with you, not against:p
Also, due to the smaller scale of car versus boat, you're not holding the tool as long, so breaks/rest is sort of built into the job. I saw your rigging before when someone posted the video of you in 'hyperspeed polishing' of the boat. Great idea, relieves you or anyone of much of the weight when working.
Reminds me of production lines with a tool hanging on a balance cable .
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,248
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Ok, A Festool Rep filmed me and others using the Shinex on Friday. I doubt this will end up on their You-Tube channel, and it's still not the version that I wanted to upload to here. But, it's a start and it also allowed the rep to play around with the Shinex since only higher levels than where he's at within Festool currently have their hands on one. The Shinex wowed everyone who used it on the reps car.
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,248
Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Festool has Superceded the current model with two very similar looking polishers.
1400 Rpm max on one model . And 2100 max Rpm on another.
The slower polisher is supposed to be for more aggressive work.
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.