talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Festool > Festool Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Shinex is coming- Shinex is coming

Time to change your signature line, Leaky!

Thanks for the great review. Looking forward to more pictures - and usage.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM

Shinex, as compared to the handy RO 90 DX, Note the top view Laurie, this is NOT a large tool at all.
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-coming-shinex-coming-018.jpg   shinex-coming-shinex-coming-017.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 AM

This is the lint filter covering the venting grill, there is one on each side. Accessed with removal of the single screw, which looks like a #2 Pozi-drive[how German] If you run with alot of felt and sheepskin pads, this will save wear and tear on the motor.
The infamous green speed control dial needs almost no explaining-:p
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-coming-shinex-coming-020.jpg   shinex-coming-shinex-coming-019.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Stock box versus new Maxi-Sys. Hmmm, which would you chose?
I ran 2 out of the 3 new Festool Pads as a test. The yellow pad is the coarse one, worked great with some aggressive polish at removing some "rub" marks that ended up leaving white paint on my wifes old BMW where she made contact with some parking garage poles downtown.
The black pad is the super soft honeycomb pad, worked very well for waxing.
I ran paint glaze with a medium pad that I already owned. The Festool pads wash out easily so far, with no hint of label ink running yet on the velcro section where they plastered their logo. Guess someone else makes the Sys labels that won't stay on..
I'll make the video with me or someone working on a car, with the Shinex, in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for reading, this was fun.
Attached Thumbnails
shinex-coming-shinex-coming-013.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 04-21-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Time to change your signature line, Leaky!

Thanks for the great review. Looking forward to more pictures - and usage.
Thanks for the praise. I kind of gave up listing tools, so I won't add anything to my signature line.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Shinex, as compared to the handy RO 90 DX, Note the top view Laurie, this is NOT a large tool at all.
I'm AMAZED.

Thanks for all the great info - can't wait to see the video!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
This is the lint filter covering the venting grill, there is one on each side. Accessed with removal of the single screw, which looks like a #2 Pozi-drive[how German] If you run with alot of felt and sheepskin pads, this will save wear and tear on the motor.
The infamous green speed control dial needs almost no explaining-:p
It does seem to be "German" to use the better fastener. Until last week I thought the fastener itself was German...

"The Pozidriv, sometimes misspelled Pozidrive, screw drive is an improved version of the Phillips screw drive. It is jointly patented by the Phillips Screw Company and American Screw Company. The name is thought to be an abbreviation of positive drive. Its advantage over Phillips drives is its decreased likelihood to cam out, which allows greater torque to be applied."
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I'll have to stay tuned here for recommendations for pads, polishes, etc.
I doubt I can add much to what Dan Clark has written in his 2 part post. He covers it all in-depth. So much of success in cleaning and detailing your vehicle is based on using what's worked for you, and NOT reusing or reliving what didn't.:p
From a DIY level, we won't kill any polisher or a pad for it from the infrequent amount of usage that we'd put into it as compared to a pro who's slamming cars out the door on a daily basis.
Once you find a price level and quality level you're happy with, you tend to stick with that brand since damaging the paint on your car, truck, or BOAT, would be painful on many levels.
I've used lots of pads and products over the years, I tend to give Griots Garage my money at this point since I get a kick out of what Richard Griot does for his customers, and how he runs his business. I could just as easily spend money with 3M, or someone else that's huge and established.
One side note about pad usage with the Shinex, the max size capacity is listed at 6" or 150mm. I don't know if that's to protect the machine for warranty purposes, or is a real figure that Festool would like us to abide by when polishing. Only Shane H. and company can fully answer that.
The Shinex LOOKS like it could run a 7" or 8" pad, but since I only own 6 inch pads, that's all I have to worry about in using it.
Have fun in your garage-or in Laurie's case, out in the hot sun with a HUGE side of Gelcoat to attend to...
Old 04-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Do we want to move this over to the Review section, and create a new category for the Shinex, or wait a few weeks until I get the video done?

Looking forward to Leaky continuing with his great Shinex review, I have moved it to the Review section.

And to keep it focused on the Shinex, I have moved the rest of the discussion over here: Shinex - Auto Boat detailing.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 PM

SHINEX update-4-29-11: OK, I've buffed two cars fullywith the polisher, and fully waxed one of them with it as well.[the other was waxed by hand] I've also worked on hoods and trunks of several other vehicles to try out new pads as I buy them[hey, we're Festool nuts, we don't tend to own ONE of anything..]
I've also scouted around and compared the Shinex to other polishers in friends shops.
The Good: It's much lighter and smaller than other polishers without falling into a "mini" category like a 4 inch or 3 inch polisher would. This means you're much less likely to experience fatigue with hours of use.
A real plus if you're faced with alot of work to do.

Ergonomics of the tool:, very smooth, easy to grip, all the key areas are coated with a rubberized type that prevents slipping of your hands when using the polisher. I tend to never use the Aux. handle that was supplied with the Shinex since I hold the tool at the front, or nose. The geardrive area is insulated away from the outer plastic shell with some air space, and also the nose is covered with the grip material. This all lends to low heat transfer from the geardrive even with hours of usage from what I find.

The cord, at appox 12 feet long is longer than some competing models, but also shorter than others, especially if they're ordered with a extra long cord option that some makers offer.
Since the Shinex is listed for 10amps of a motor, the cord gauge is a smaller 18ga, instead of a heavier 16ga. This helps too in that you typically have the cord drapped over your shoulder when working on a vehicle to prevent any marring of the paint from the power cord dragging on the car's surface.
So, the cord seems to be the middle of the road with regards to length. Add a 14ga or 12 ga ext. cord if need be, and you've handled that problem for outlets that are far away from the polisher when you're using it.

The Shinex has a splindle lock for holding the spindle in place when you're installing the backing plate, or polishing pad as Festool calls it. While they probably don't think you need anything more than this, I have always added just a touch of a wrench on the flats of the backing plate to make doubly sure it's not going to go flying once the tool is turned on.

The spindle is 14mm, which IS smaller than the Nominal 5/8" spindles seen here in the North American market. Even if Festool needed to increase the shaft to 16mm to be on a par with the US common spec, they apparently don't feel the need to upset their pad stock and design spec since the Festool larger capacity Pollux polisher,[again NAINA!] with its 180mm spec pad uses a 14mm spindle also[ Thanks to Hasslefactor for letting me know of the tool's existence]
Festool Stock Polishing Pads: I now own 5 of the 150mm pads[I know, they're like everything else Festool, breed like rabbits] The quality level is high in all depts. Even foam density throughout the pad, ink on the pads haven't smudged or run yet with several washings. Hook and Loop, aka Velcro, holds REALLY firmly to the backing plate/pad. I highly recommend the honeycomb or waffle versions for fine waxing. Soft and flexible enough to follow complex contours, but seem to be rugged enough that they don't fall apart with repeated uses and cleanings

Which, leads us to the bad, or perceived bad about the Shinex. That 6 inch/150mm max pad size.
I've talked to numerous people who either detail cars, or paint them regarding the Shinex and its smaller pad size. They've dismissed the tool's small pad capacity out of hand, almost to a person, but praised its low weight, ergonomics, and Festools quality.:smad: Anddd, wouldn't ever buy one, so they say.....
While I've yet to talk to anyone who works with Solid Surfaces for a living, I'm told that someone here in the US agreed to buy the Shinex in large enough numbers to justify Festool bringing it in. I'm grateful for that company or person, as the people I've talked to here in the Midwest seem a "hard sell" on the tool. We may never have gotten it if THAT was the prevailing attitude. SOOOOO, somebody bought them, lots of them, and helped me get mine.[take that, NAINA....]
On the POLLUX, the Shinex's larger cousin, it's about double the cost of the Shinex, which at $400, with no systainer, is alot to swallow as well.:p
And the Pollux has a 1500watt motor, which means you're close to the capacity of a nominal 15 amp shop or household circuit, esp. if lights or something else is turned on while using the tool.
With the Shinex, you take a bit more time due to the smaller pad, you share loads on a standard 15amp circuit easily without fear of popping a breaker for the most part, and you really smile when you're done, since your task came out gleaming.
Again, thank whoever had the LARGE hand in bringing the Shinex to NA, as even Fred West couldn't buy enough of them to make it worth Festool's while[well, maybe he could, he's pretty impressive..]
Afterthoughts: I love the tool, I think that's clear. However, due to the price and pad pax size, don't expect a huge following here in the North American marker when just about ALL other available polishers are less than the Shinex AND generally rated for a large 8 inch pad all day long.
If there's ever a Festool gathering, and all tool owners are arranged by machine type, you MAY only see me holding the Shinex sign for this group.
But, I WILL hold it proudly.. Video to follow soon, I'm sweet talking a few good people to help me out with that. Thanks for looking